Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound Of Silence 2021 rally, May 21-23

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All the other supercharger hunters were out of town before noon. Were you still around? Also, sorry I wasn't able to catch up with you. For some reason, I had it in my head that you weren't going this year and I didn't see you were there until the dinner Saturday night.
I was late in arriving (Saturday), but am staying in the Custer area for a week.

Had a great time at the rally! I made the best of the fog and got some good photos with it.
20210521_142833.jpg

DSC_6968b.JPG
DSC_6973b.JPG
DSC_6985b.JPG
DSC_6989b.JPG
DSC_7010b.JPG
DSC_7021b.JPG
DSC_7091b.JPG
DSC_7116b.JPG
DSC_7117b.JPG

A very special thanks to all the people who attended this year's SOS event. Myself and the Chamber of Commerce are already hard at work planning for next year. Since we are filling their largest event space, it is likely that next year attendance will be limited to 200 PEOPLE, and how many cars that equates to. It is very likely that people will be turned away, ESPECIALLY PEOPLE WHO JUST SHOW UP, UNANNOUNCED. I think it would be wise to watch for registrations to open and REGISTER. A word to the wise, Mac.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
A very special thanks to all the people who attended this year's SOS event. Myself and the Chamber of Commerce are already hard at work planning for next year. Since we are filling their largest event space, it is likely that next year attendance will be limited to 200 PEOPLE, and how many cars that equates to. It is very likely that people will be turned away, ESPECIALLY PEOPLE WHO JUST SHOW UP, UNANNOUNCED. I think it would be wise to watch for registrations to open and REGISTER. A word to the wise, Mac.

I found myself eyeing up the Custer Beacon as a potential event space - potentially the Friday meet & greet dinner.

If the event runs into a situation where it's at capacity, I'd advise allowing people to register and attend, but limiting the availability of meals and other events that have hard limits on how many people can be accommodated. One possible method of handling this is to reduce the overall registration fee, but make meal events an additional charge. That gives people the option to pick and choose what they want to do without limiting the total size of the event.

Having organized a number of very similar events in the past, I can't stress enough the importance of registering in advance. As an event planner, it's very difficult to manage logistics when attendees plan to register on-site rather than in advance.

Tesla Sound of Silence 2021
May 21-23

Quoting the website:

The Custer Area Chamber of Commerce is excited to host the 7th Annual Black Hills Sound of Silence Tesla Rally!

On Friday night there will be a Tesla Mixer with free food and beverages at Mount Rushmore Brewing Company. There will also be a live band at one of Custer's newest entertainment venues...The Custer Beacon! Tesla Rally attendees will get free entrance for the entertainment on Friday night.

Saturday morning will be on your own to ride the Hills and enjoy the beautiful scenery of the area. We will have a professional photographer on Iron Mountain Road available to take pictures for a couple hours. (details TBD) Saturday afternoon will be the annual group photo. Then Saturday night is the Sound of Silence dinner – location TBD.

It's Open House Weekend in Custer State Park so it's free to drive through all weekend.

Each driver registration will receive a swag bag including Custer Cash, 2021 Tesla Pin, and other goodies.

Last year we had a contest on our Tesla Rally Facebook page where we let our fans choose the name of the Tesla beer that Mount Rushmore Brewing Company is brewing special for this event. The name that won was CyberBrew, and it will be available for purchase at Mount Rushmore Brewing Company throughout the weekend.

More details to come! We will update everyone who is registered via email as plans are finalized.

==========

While nowhere near as big as the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, the Sound of Silence gathering is one of the larger Tesla meet-ups. Long-time road-trippers and new owners all have fun. Custer has its own supercharger, and many of the lodging establishments have destination chargers.

Remember to register at your preferred hotel or campground.

Many owners like to caravan to the event so if you're thinking of attending it's worth reaching out to your local club to see if others want to join you.

Driver–$60, Passenger–$35, and Under 12–$15. If you have more than one passenger, click the "ADD ANOTHER REGISTRANT" button just above 'Billing Information".

Also on the registration page, you can order Long Sleeve Tesla Rally Shirts and Tesla Rally Face Mask. Late registrants won't be able to order the shirt.
Sooooo bummed I missed this by a week!

I found myself eyeing up the Custer Beacon as a potential event space - potentially the Friday meet & greet dinner.

If the event runs into a situation where it's at capacity, I'd advise allowing people to register and attend, but limiting the availability of meals and other events that have hard limits on how many people can be accommodated. One possible method of handling this is to reduce the overall registration fee, but make meal events an additional charge. That gives people the option to pick and choose what they want to do without limiting the total size of the event.

Having organized a number of very similar events in the past, I can't stress enough the importance of registering in advance. As an event planner, it's very difficult to manage logistics when attendees plan to register on-site rather than in advance.
I have to agree with my name counterpart. I figure the town should let hotel and campground reservations in the area dictate the total number. Dinners and other EVents can have registration limits and extra fees. Wouldn't it be great if Custer were filled with Teslas (and other EVs) for a weekend just as Sturgis gets filled with Harleys and other motorcycles? Certainly there is plenty of room for more cars in the high school parking lot for a lot more in a group photo. There seemed to be plenty of electrical outlets available around town for charging as well (or maybe we just got lucky).

Reactions: Big Earl