Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound System Comparison: 200W vs 580W

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll take and SD card slot or a USB input over a CD drive any day. You can rip to whatever quality you want at home. Hopefully the sound system can play a variety of files. If you're using lossless compression (e.g., FLAC), though, 16GB is gonna seem rather small.

One of the few issues I have with the car is the 16GB "hard disk". 16GB? Are you kidding me? It's not a deal killer since all my music is on my 64GB phone anyway, but it's totally odd. I'm thinking that it's a limitation of the audio system they elected to go with. Many high-end stereo systems are behind the curve on this type of stuff. At least we have the USB ports so we can plug in a card reader or portable HDD if we really wanted to.

Agree. Our Leaf has a CD slot, it has never been used. I always play music from my iPhone over bluetooth. I assume the Model S will have the same bluetooth capability.
Same for me in my LEAF. I have a 16GB USB thumb drive in the USB slot with my favorite music, then let passengers play iPhone Bluetooth DJ if they want to play something different.

I'll take and SD card slot or a USB input over a CD drive any day. You can rip to whatever quality you want at home. Hopefully the sound system can play a variety of files. If you're using lossless compression (e.g., FLAC), though, 16GB is gonna seem rather small.
Funny thing is - on my last visit to India - I saw a bunch of car audio players, all with USB ports and none with CD.

I keep a 16GB iPod Nano (5th G) permanently connected in my Roadster and control it through the Alpine. (I don't use an iPhone so don't need the connector for that). It's a cheap expansion option and has the benefit that you can just take it out whenever you want it elsewhere or for synching with iTunes. IIRC the Model S will have 4(?) USB ports available and could easily be used for the same idea.

I keep a 16GB iPod Nano (5th G) permanently connected in my Roadster and control it through the Alpine. (I don't use an iPhone so don't need the connector for that). It's a cheap expansion option and has the benefit that you can just take it out whenever you want it elsewhere or for synching with iTunes. IIRC the Model S will have 4(?) USB ports available and could easily be used for the same idea.

Hi Nigel,

As I recall your iPod looked like it was designed to be permanently docked in your consol. Was this an expansion option offerred by Tesla? So far it looks like the Model S won't even have a consol to neatly dock an iPod.

Larry

And it says that only for the upgraded stereo system.

I'll be VERY disappointed if satellite radio isn't available for the base system.

I agree along with the turn-by-turn navigation but someone posted in a different thread that the satellite radio/pano roof may just be a typo. We'll see. I'm headed to Chicago soon to see the beta car on display again so I'll ask some questions while I'm there.

I agree along with the turn-by-turn navigation but someone posted in a different thread that the satellite radio/pano roof may just be a typo. We'll see. I'm headed to Chicago soon to see the beta car on display again so I'll ask some questions while I'm there.
Great, let us know what they say. I'm also curious about the dual charger (in another thread) and if it can be added later and the practical utility of having it if it can't be added later--if you're making a list.

Yeah, 16GB is lame in this day in age. Lets not cut corners Tesla. Put 64GB of solid-state memory in there. The cost would be pretty much negligible.

Also, does anyone know if this supports Bluetooth AD2P, so that you could play music wirelessly from your iPod or smartphone? This is a big deal AFAIC, and would be a case of dropping the ball if Tesla did not include AD2P.

Yeah, 16GB is lame in this day in age. Lets not cut corners Tesla. Put 64GB of solid-state memory in there. The cost would be pretty much negligible.

Also, does anyone know if this supports Bluetooth AD2P, so that you could play music wirelessly from your iPod or smartphone? This is a big deal AFAIC, and would be a case of dropping the ball if Tesla did not include AD2P.

I don't know but I heard Elon Musk say that if Tesla does not have the best iPhone integration of any car maker then they are a failure. I remember him saying this because it seemed like very strong words at the time.

in http://www.teslamotors.com/models/features#/interior it states

"Let your passengers run the show by connecting their device, be it a smart phone or tablet, using Bluetooth or one of four USB ports."

so the answer would be yes ...