TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sound system lost it's "punch" after latest update

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by skrtskrt, Nov 18, 2018.

1. skrtskrt

skrtskrt Member

I already had V9 when I took delivery of my new P3D+ but just updated it to the latest version w/ dash cam and navigate on autopilot and notice the sound system dramatically changed. It doesn't have that "punch" as it use to. I check the EQ and it's still on the same settings it was before the update and I played the same playlist as I did prior to the update as well and it just sounds a little stale. And yes, immersive sound is still on.

I checked to see if I was the only one and it looks like others have started several threads of this last year til the beginning of this year but only for S/X. Haven't heard from Model 3 owners yet.

Anyone else feel the same?

2. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Active Member

Have you tried toggling the settings like immersive sound on/off?

3. skrtskrt

skrtskrt Member

Edit: It's noticeably clear that it lost it's low end "punch" and isn't as immersive in terms of the fact that the front end of the sound system still works the same but it's like the back end that lost it's magic. It isn't as powerful anymore.

4. skrtskrt

skrtskrt Member

Most of the bass is coming from the front of the car, before the update I was IN the music.

• Like x 2
  5. skrtskrt

skrtskrt Member

Yes, nothing happened.

6. Kermee

Kermee It's Not Easy Being Green

Try doing a hard reboot. Once, I lost the rear speakers and sub. Reset fixed it.

Another person had a similar issue. Turned out the MCU output went bad and the SC had to replace the entire computer board.

It might just be a coincidence that this occurred right after a software update.

7. skrtskrt

skrtskrt Member

I also tried doing a hard reboot and it's still the same.

• Like x 1
  8. Kermee

Kermee It's Not Easy Being Green

Figured you would have already. ;)

Yeah. Schedule an SC or mobile SC appointment. Something is definitely wrong at this point. Wish I had other tricks or ideas for you.

9. alloverx

alloverx Member

Any mention in the release notes?
    If not, thats lame.

10. mtndrew1

mtndrew1 Member

Mine is the same and it just not as strong as before. I used to be able to have it at 50% volume and freeway speeds and feel like I was at a concert.

Now at 3/4 volume it sounds like a clock radio. 2018.42.4 here. Sucks.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  11. flashflooder

flashflooder Member

If you guys are using Bluetooth as your source, make sure the volume is turned all the way up on your phone!

• Like x 2
  12. mtndrew1

mtndrew1 Member

I am. It is.

Also the same condition with slacker and FM.

13. nogassnorlax

nogassnorlax Member

THIS.

What can we do about this? What gives?

14. gambit48

gambit48 Member

I feel the same. After I think the V9 update, the sounds lost it's "punch". Same music. It used to be, even over a crappy Bluetooth mp3 source, music sounded noticeably punchier and fuller. Was amazing, really. Was great no matter what the source (Bluetooth from phone, internet radio, FM, etc). Now, it sounds like any other mediocre standard auto sound system. I've tried adjusting different settings, but I can't seem to bring back that "punch" or "wow" factor.

That said, it's still better than the "upgraded" HK system on my BMW. That's just straight garbage and a total waste of money.

• Like x 2
  15. skrtskrt

skrtskrt Member

I'm really wondering what in the hell happened???

• Like x 1
  16. RSL2020

RSL2020 Member

Agreed, immersive sound is so much weaker now. I've been trying to solve the issue with the EQ but thats just making things worse it seems.

• Like x 1
  17. JGard

JGard Member

ahh, I thought I was going crazy. I had tunein running the other day on the highway, ,and had the volume at 75%, which is much higher than I've ever had it before, and even then, I could barely hear it over the wind noise (windows half open)

• Like x 2
  18. mswlogo

mswlogo Active Member

I don't hear any difference. Was good and still good. I'm using Slacker and USB Stick. Rarely use Bluetooth.

But I would go around and verify each driver is working, including the subwoofer.

19. skrtskrt

skrtskrt Member

Sit in the back. It's not as dynamic as it once was.

20. BobAbooey

BobAbooey Member

Exactly the same with mine

• Like x 1