Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound system lost it's "punch" after latest update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the latest and it is definitely hit or miss. I did the steps provided earlier to reset, and while it worked somewhat, I have noticed that "Immersive Sound" defaults down to Standard when it was set on High. Something is definitely off here.

I have a hard time with phone calls. Can barely hear the person on the other end, and the other end says the audio feedback from road noise is unbearable. Oh, but if Santa mode is on, the turn signals are deafening! As one of the previous posts mentioned, I am afraid a speaker is gonna blow. On that Santa mode, music level from Bluetooth streaming is at 100% on the phone and 50% car volume. Sounds nice...until you flip your turn signal and it is so loud! I tried lowering the navigation voice, but that does nothing for the sleigh bells.

It's frustrating as the stereo is the most disappointing part of this vehicle to me now. So inconsistent. The Ford Fusion Hybrid rental car I had last week sounded incredible compared to this!

They need a new section in the audio settings for you to adjust all of the different volume settings (Nav, Call, Easter Eggs, etc.) to tune to your liking. For as advanced as this car is, the audio is stuck in the past. Hell, throw in a calibration screen to play test tones similar to home theater set up. I could set it to whatever the sound meter tells me.

I hope Tesla looks into this. Bug reports, calls, service center visits, etc. should hopefully get this under a microscope.

I now think my sub actually is working, and maybe always has been, but it is just so weak and irrelevant, even maxed out in the equalizer settings, that it might as well not even be there. If I find BASS specific songs (e.g. bass for bassheadz on youtube), I can get it to thump like the car might just actually have a sub. The moment I go back to regular music that has big bass drops on any other system I own, including my 2009 factory Nissan Murano system, the Tesla sub goes back into hiding as if it doesn't exist. Super bummer to read about how amazing this sound system was going to be only to find that the sub is really just a tweeter speaker hiding in the back. Lol.

Haven’t tested this theory, but I’m thinkin the crossover might be set too low and/or too abrupt. Some songs it seems fine, and in others there is very weak in bass. There was one song I was listing to that I felt had very low bass from the sub, except for an occasional low note.

I wonder if the people getting better sound after the 48 update is a result of the car rebooting after the update since it still seems inconsistent.
I think this is the case. A reboot is what at least temporarily fixes it. I never had the bass issue until AFTER I installed 48.12.1. So apparently none of these updates have included a fix. I have a Ranger appointment on the 31st. I doubt they'll fix it but he sure will hear it and can officially report it. BTW, I tried the reboot/turn off "fix" a couple times to no avail.

Reactions: PoitNarf
I can confirm the issue appeared to be resolved where I could barely go above 50% volume the bass was hitting so hard (entire system sounded amazing) however now after a few times in park the issues from before have returned :\.

If you observe it this specifically, please use the bug report feature to time stamp it for Tesla, so they can see the data and figure this out.

Reactions: IM_1406
I have a feeling a lot of the inconsistency has to do with variables that are controllable. Like slacker vs bluetooth vs USB music, Aptx vs standard bluetooth, then of course quality of songs. Some may download high quality to their phone via spotify, and some do low quality to save space, etc. THEN of course there's the actual issue. Mine appears to be "back to normal" now after the upgrade to 48.12.1. I say normal because honestly I've never felt it was as bassy as a high end system should be. It sounds great, but I was hoping for more boom.

Reactions: MattUNI