Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound system lost it's "punch" after latest update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The HW2.5/3 computer has literally nothing to do with the stereo- that's a different computer.

My understanding is that Model 3 has one main computer module for basically everything now.
Back with Model S, the MCU (behind the main screen) was separate from the autopilot computer.
With Model 3, I think there is just one unit behind the dashboard now.

My understanding is that Model 3 has one main computer module for basically everything now.
Back with Model S, the MCU (behind the main screen) was separate from the autopilot computer.
With Model 3, I think there is just one unit behind the dashboard now.

I don't believe that's correct. 3 still uses MCU and AP computer. They're in the same physically "part" of the car, but they're entirely separate computers.

Which is why you can reboot the MCU while driving on autopilot, even in a 3.

• Informative
Reactions: SSonnentag
I don't believe that's correct. 3 still uses MCU and AP computer. They're in the same physically "part" of the car, but they're entirely separate computers.
Which is why you can reboot the MCU while driving on autopilot, even in a 3.

Yeah, that is what I thought, but when I talked to Tesla people about the "MCU in my Model 3" various people corrected me and said
"in Model 3 it is just 'the computer' "...

But:
Tesla Model 3: first look at new dual computing platform Tesla developed for Autopilot and MCU
Tesla developed a fairly impressive custom liquid-cooled dual computing platform with both its Autopilot and infotainment computers built onto two different boards in the same module.

Maybe it was just overcompensation to make sure people know there is no longer a computer board behind the screen (in Model 3.)

Slacker on the 3 is 64kb/s, it's always sounded like crap

Slacker used to sound good for me

...why?

If the output from the actual speaker is the same in both tests- and the driver's head is in the same place- and they didn't change the interior of the car... why would you expect results at the drivers head to be any different between the two tests? What possible cause would there be for that?

I've noticed this myself built in August and delivered in September. 2018.50 was driving more bass but from the front. I could lay in the trunk and not have a lot of bass from the woofer. I have the EQ for bass turned up and center. Setting to rear was quiet everywhere.

I've noticed this myself built in August and delivered in September. 2018.50 was driving more bass but from the front. I could lay in the trunk and not have a lot of bass from the woofer. I have the EQ for bass turned up and center. Setting to rear was quiet everywhere.

There are a lot of variables and things going on here. Some end up bordering on "unintentional FUD".

When you open the driver's door, the sound of the whole system will reduce. When you close the door it won't go back up unless you are already sitting in the driver's seat.

So, someone could do the following:
#1: Tune audio so it is loud from the drivers seat.
#2: Get out, go to back of car and lay down or sit next to subwoofer to listen. Find that it isn't outputting much.
#3: Go back to front door and close it hoping to make volume go back up. Return to open trunk to listen again. Still find it weak back there.

Not saying that you got hit by this "feature", but do be mindful that driver needs to be in driver's seat for volume to stay at the same level.
Note, you could open the passenger door, and adjust the volume back up before going to the back to check it...

Also, don't close all the doors or the car will shut down...

Another data point - are we comparing sub-bass or mid-bass? The front door speakers put out the bulk of the mid-bass. The subwoofer in back is more for sub-bass (like ~30-50hz ). So one really needs to have some sub-bass heavy music playing to expect the subwoofer to be outputting much. From my recollection, it seems like the rear used to be putting out more mid-bass, but not so much anymore. Another theory: did they change the EQ on the subwoofer so it has a lower crossover frequency?
When different people compare/critique the output from the rear, it is important to make sure we are playing similar frequencies through the audio system to see which speakers are playing the sounds.

Another theory: did they change the EQ on the subwoofer so it has a lower crossover frequency?

This is my best guess as to what may have happened. Perhaps they did mess with the crossover frequency or maybe some bug is causing the crossover to randomly shift from time to time, although that would be pretty weird. I've also thought it may be related to the vehicle speed or possibly HVAC fan speed volume compensation adjustment that happens automatically and there is no way to adjust this or turn it off. I wish I had a good way to measure the difference when things sound great and when they sound meh. Right now all I really have to go by are my own ears and whether or not the mirrors and my seat are vibrating when the bass is really pumping.

I stop short of saying that something is broken. It just feels to me like there is less "wow" with some of the music. I basically exclusively listen from USB flash, so it is the same exact recordings as before, and no variables with the streaming services, or Bluetooth.

With the rear seatbacks now down, and the bass EQ turned up more, I am getting back some of that amazing sound I remember, but it still feels like it is a bit less than the early days with my car.

This isn't about volume reduction (opening the door/not being in the seat) it's about quality. The bass sounds like it's being run through a high pass filter, it just isn't present some times and is present at others.

I think you’re missing that part of the hypothesis is that opening the door may engage a software high pass filter or some such (intentionally) and that the car is incorrectly applying this function when it shouldn’t be.

I could see the goal being to attenuate the audio and to reduce bass upon opening a door so that you’re not unloading your trunk with a thumping subwoofer.

There’s a possibility that this is happening at the wrong time, attenuating the sub and rear speakers when that is only intended to happen when the door is open.

Yeah, I read that but that would be a major change from getting out/back in the car. That would be easily noticeable. I've had my bass go missing mid-drive without opening the door or moving on the seat. Perhaps the filter is engaging when it shouldn't but for me it isn't linked to strictly opening the door.

Yeah, I read that but that would be a major change from getting out/back in the car. That would be easily noticeable. I've had my bass go missing mid-drive without opening the door or moving on the seat. Perhaps the filter is engaging when it shouldn't but for me it isn't linked to strictly opening the door.

I don’t think anyone is correlating it directly to opening or closing the door, only that the phenomenon could be this high pass software mechanism engaging when it shouldn’t.

In my particular car sometimes the audio dips down when I open the door, sometimes it doesn’t, so there’s definitely something amiss with door-open audio attenuation. It could be related and the car incorrectly applies this function while driving down the road.

1. Unplug any USB Devices from the center console.
  2. Place your foot on the brake pedal, and hold it down for the duration of the reboot.
  3. Press and hold both the left and right scrolling wheel buttons on the steering wheel until the touchscreen goes off, and continue to hold until the touchscreen illuminates and displays the Tesla logo in the center.
  4. This can take up to 30 seconds
  5. Then you can release the brake.

I tried this and it seems to have sounded better, but might've been placebo or correlated with the car being in a quiet place and not moving - will do some more testing. Another thing I noticed with my car in particular is that I swear there's more wind noise and overall environment noise now at 1200 miles than during the first 300. I have to wait until March for my SC visit but what are the chances our cars have a leak in the seal somewhere causing a drop in sound pressure levels reducing the "feel" in the bass?

There are a lot of variables and things going on here. Some end up bordering on "unintentional FUD".

When you open the driver's door, the sound of the whole system will reduce. When you close the door it won't go back up unless you are already sitting in the driver's seat.

So, someone could do the following:
#1: Tune audio so it is loud from the drivers seat.
#2: Get out, go to back of car and lay down or sit next to subwoofer to listen. Find that it isn't outputting much.
#3: Go back to front door and close it hoping to make volume go back up. Return to open trunk to listen again. Still find it weak back there.

Not saying that you got hit by this "feature", but do be mindful that driver needs to be in driver's seat for volume to stay at the same level.
Note, you could open the passenger door, and adjust the volume back up before going to the back to check it...

Also, don't close all the doors or the car will shut down...

Another data point - are we comparing sub-bass or mid-bass? The front door speakers put out the bulk of the mid-bass. The subwoofer in back is more for sub-bass (like ~30-50hz ). So one really needs to have some sub-bass heavy music playing to expect the subwoofer to be outputting much. From my recollection, it seems like the rear used to be putting out more mid-bass, but not so much anymore. Another theory: did they change the EQ on the subwoofer so it has a lower crossover frequency?
When different people compare/critique the output from the rear, it is important to make sure we are playing similar frequencies through the audio system to see which speakers are playing the sounds.

All you have to do is turn the volume back up with the door open.
All open the door does is lower the normal volume control.
As soon as you adjust volume with the door open, it will no longer adjust it back when you close the door.

I do this all the time so I can play music in the garage while working on the car.