Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound system lost it's "punch" after latest update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
these are all aweful songs to do a good test for various reasons.

To do a true lowend test you either have a few songs with clean smooth subbass lines which doesn't get disturbed by too many harmoncis and distortions (pretty much most drum & bass tracks or brostep tracks but before that genre got popular a lot of mix engineers used certain pop music with smooth synthezied basslines like Britney Spears - Toxic or Nsync - All I ever wanted. You get the idea.). Alternatively you can play a few 30- 100hz sine waves. Either via a synth over bluetooth or just via youtube stream - but that is a bit clinical.

I like Toxic because the bassline hits quite high (65 - 90hz) which is better to test the actual speaker cones. Below that the frequencies are usually produced by bass ports or subwoofers so can be well tested with another deeper hitting song. Have your pick from hiphop, electronic music, whatever. With hip hop I would only use old school tracks as newer tracks have heavily processed/distorted 808s so the harmonics become an issue again.

Assessment of bass + harmonics is a bit more tricky. A lot of hifi/car systems do some sort of processing which makes the harmonics stand out to compensate for the lack of lowend bass. One of the few songs which works well for that is Pur's Abenteuerland album (german rockalbum from the mid 90s). The album has lots of clean acoustic guitars with an incredibly well mixed bass with very defined lowend but also lots of harmonics on the bass. Pretty much all tracks from that album work well for this when there are no distorted guitars playing.

Reactions: fyresoul
I’ll say it again, identifying this bug isnt rocket science. The bug sounds like you have zero bass..basically if you want to recreate the issue, take any properly working stereo and cut all the bass and turn up the treble. When you experience this bug, you can dial up the bass and it makes no difference.

I’ll say it again, identifying this bug isnt rocket science. The bug sounds like you have zero bass..basically if you want to recreate the issue, take any properly working stereo and cut all the bass and turn up the treble. When you experience this bug, you can dial up the bass and it makes no difference.

This is confusing though because I have 42.4 and don’t have the issue while others on 42.4 do.

Well, I'm experiencing this now. 42.4 here. Had it dialed in and everything sounded amazing. Now it's just there. Zero punch. Balance seems to be all over the place (between streaming and using navigation). They seem to be fighting now and more blended. It's weird, and annoying. It was fine until I had some work done on my car and they flashed me to the latest. I noticed immersive was on the middle setting (I had it high) so something happened during that flash and I can't get it back. I hope they fix this. I absolutely loved the sounds before.

Note: Are there variants of 42.4? I only ask because I had 42.4 before going into getting my car fixed, in their notes they said they flashed it to the latest (still showing 42.4), and here I am with altered sound, and a settings change per above.

Reactions: mbouchti

Exactly its very noticeable.

ok, I reported this bug and here is what they said....

HI xxxxxx,

Thanks for reaching out. We are sorry to hear about your sound system concern. The best thing you can do is contact technical support at [email protected]. They will review your concern, document the details you provide, and pass the information on to the relevant teams that can troubleshoot and/or diagnose the problem. Have a great weekend.

Best,

Executive Escalations
6800 Dumbarton Circle | Fremont, CA 94555

so email them now..I did..maybe include this thread in your email...

these are all aweful songs to do a good test for various reasons.

To do a true lowend test you either have a few songs with clean smooth subbass lines which doesn't get disturbed by too many harmoncis and distortions (pretty much most drum & bass tracks or brostep tracks but before that genre got popular a lot of mix engineers used certain pop music with smooth synthezied basslines like Britney Spears - Toxic or Nsync - All I ever wanted. You get the idea.). Alternatively you can play a few 30- 100hz sine waves. Either via a synth over bluetooth or just via youtube stream - but that is a bit clinical.

I like Toxic because the bassline hits quite high (65 - 90hz) which is better to test the actual speaker cones. Below that the frequencies are usually produced by bass ports or subwoofers so can be well tested with another deeper hitting song. Have your pick from hiphop, electronic music, whatever. With hip hop I would only use old school tracks as newer tracks have heavily processed/distorted 808s so the harmonics become an issue again.

Assessment of bass + harmonics is a bit more tricky. A lot of hifi/car systems do some sort of processing which makes the harmonics stand out to compensate for the lack of lowend bass. One of the few songs which works well for that is Pur's Abenteuerland album (german rockalbum from the mid 90s). The album has lots of clean acoustic guitars with an incredibly well mixed bass with very defined lowend but also lots of harmonics on the bass. Pretty much all tracks from that album work well for this when there are no distorted guitars playing.
I was referring to an actual musical test not a sub bass performance only test
here is another one of my favorites, Jim Keltner, Improvisation is a solo acoustic drum track recorded by Sheffield Labs, a very dynamic and realistic recording of a well tuned an played acoustic drum set, great for audio evaluations in general

Last edited:
Reactions: fyresoul
I was referring to an actual musical test not a sub bass performance only test
here is another one of my favorites, Jim Keltner, Improvisation is a solo acoustic drum track recorded by Sheffield Labs, a very dynamic and realistic recording of a well tuned an played acoustic drum set, great for audio evaluations in general
thanks for the audio link. Just tried this via Bluetooth and it sounds superb. High volume needed, but the clear bass punch is there. Not that door rattling buzzing bass of hip hop, but a crisp and clear thumping bass drum. Very nice. 44.1 be0627c