Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound system lost it's "punch" after latest update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My USB almost always starts playing from where it left off. Same as any other source. Volume is a little lower for all audio at same settings when the car is cold. It may be intentional or could just be physics. Less DB sounds like less bass??? Also, are they not messing around with volume changing with speed/noise? Could be it's wonky. I think a lot of bass complaints are just less volume.

I can’t get the stupid immersive sound to stay off. Every time I drive my car I turn it off. It turns itself back on every day. No thanks, don’t want a cheesy reverb algorithm ruining all my music. I’ve used the bug report feature numerous times on this.

Also really annoyed with the USB stick. Worked fine for awhile. Now it won’t show me artists unless I go in through folders, and then basically just hangs.

This car’s premium sound system could use some attention.

I can’t get the stupid immersive sound to stay off. Every time I drive my car I turn it off. It turns itself back on every day. No thanks, don’t want a cheesy reverb algorithm ruining all my music. I’ve used the bug report feature numerous times on this.

Also really annoyed with the USB stick. Worked fine for awhile. Now it won’t show me artists unless I go in through folders, and then basically just hangs.

This car’s premium sound system could use some attention.

You know that disabling immersive sound disables at least two speakers (a-pillar), right? I think it sounds great, but I do turn it off when listening to podcasts.

Just FYI:

Installed 2019.5.15 last night. All seemed to go well. This morning the audio sounded like crap. Graphic equalizer bass slider was essentially ineffective. Balance control was out of whack; pushing spot to right rear corner of the car did cut sound from front and left rear but it was very apparent that the subwoofer wasn't working. Sliding balance to left rear corner partially activated the two front speakers (!).

So I did what everyone suggests as standard operating procedure after any software update: two-thumb reboot.

Everything is great again!

Just FYI:

Installed 2019.5.15 last night. All seemed to go well. This morning the audio sounded like crap. Graphic equalizer bass slider was essentially ineffective. Balance control was out of whack; pushing spot to right rear corner of the car did cut sound from front and left rear but it was very apparent that the subwoofer wasn't working. Sliding balance to left rear corner partially activated the two front speakers (!).

So I did what everyone suggests as standard operating procedure after any software update: two-thumb reboot.

Everything is great again!
Happened to me as well, i downloaded the update last night. Audio worked for a second and now sounds like it's coming from a set of iPod Nano earbuds in a tin can.

Did you get it fixed?

Wonder if it has something to do with Sentry Mode?

Reactions: Blue in NC
Yup, just a simple reboot solved the problem. It gets me wondering what else could go wrong with the car after updates take place.
Yeah, a hard + soft reboot fixed it for me. You do bring up a good point. I'm not sure why Tesla doesn't have the car do a full reboot immediately after finishing the update...seems like it would probably save their customer service workers some headaches

My USB almost always starts playing from where it left off. Same as any other source. Volume is a little lower for all audio at same settings when the car is cold. It may be intentional or could just be physics. Less DB sounds like less bass??? Also, are they not messing around with volume changing with speed/noise? Could be it's wonky. I think a lot of bass complaints are just less volume.

That's normal. Can't remember if it just happens with certain amplifiers but most amplifiers can push out a much warmer and louder sound once they get hot. A lot of the earlier rave sound systems got their full sound that way, afaik the VALVE soundsystem actually tried to copy exactly that mechanism where the sound becomes much rounder and fuller when the amplifiers run hot....

Slacker in a model 3 is the same crap 64kb/s bitrate regardless of your subscription level- the bitrate is set (and limited) by the client (the tesla app in the car).

Currently on 2019.8.5:

Got bored and tested how much data Slacker is pulling in per song via my router.

From what I can tell, Slacker is streaming at a variable bitrate between 128kbps and 160kbps regardless if you are using Tesla’s account or Slacker Premium.

Currently on 2019.8.5:

Got bored and tested how much data Slacker is pulling in per song via my router.

From what I can tell, Slacker is streaming at a variable bitrate between 128kbps and 160kbps regardless if you are using Tesla’s account or Slacker Premium.

that's interesting since slacker themselves seems to have consistently told anyone who asks it defaults to 64kb/s and can't be changed... (also surprised it'd be variable since every setting available on every other client for their service is a fixed rate)

This thread was quite active for a long time, but seems to have petered out. Did everyone's lack of rear subwoofer sub-bass get resolved?

I just noticed the issue on my vehicle the other day - when I fade to the back, there is no sound at or below mid-bass - only poor-quality high frequencies. I understand from reading this entire thread (wow that took me a while!) that this is normal behavior, so this is not my issue (though it's a regrettable "feature" if true - why wouldn't they keep the subwoofer on in this setting??).

What is not normal behavior is the subwoofer not working at all. To test this, I use a tone-generator app, and produced tones in the 30-50Hz range. The woofers in the front doors were barely responding to this input (you could feel them trying ;-), yet the subwoofer was doing nothing. No output at all. On any eq/fader setting. Two-button reset, power-down reset, and leaving the car alone overnight did not resolve the issue. I'm running 2019.20.21 on a P3D for what it's worth. Any thoughts?

• Informative
Reactions: pk44FG