Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound system lost it's "punch" after latest update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had no more issues since replacing the stock subwoofer with an aftermarket one in my rear deck.

Also, I suggest people with sub cutting out check the connector that plugs into the subwoofer box. I had found mine was not snapped all the way in.
It is possible that some % of people with sub sometimes cutting out just have a loose connector going into the subwoofer box.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: gilscales
I gave up on hoping for the return of 'full power' bass in the car. It is far more consistent for me now then it was when the issue started (i.e. less instances of complete loss of bass), but the bass is definitely not what it was when I took delivery of the car last year. I'm convinced that something in software changed, even if there isn't any hard evidence.

Reactions: MattUNI
I gave up on hoping for the return of 'full power' bass in the car. It is far more consistent for me now then it was when the issue started (i.e. less instances of complete loss of bass), but the bass is definitely not what it was when I took delivery of the car last year. I'm convinced that something in software changed, even if there isn't any hard evidence.

You may be right, when i got my car it sounded very good and I was extremely pleased. Over time things changed, less bass and the quality of the sound as well. Perhaps there were design issues they needed tp restrict or perhaps they people working on it are no very competent or putting time into games.

The bass in my 3 hasn't been an issue for months now. I'm still somewhat convinced this is actually related to colder weather somehow, perhaps related to one of the "cold weather improvements" they introduced last year. Don't know if some update finally fixed the issue for me, but so far so good.

Reactions: mswlogo
The bass in my 3 hasn't been an issue for months now. I'm still somewhat convinced this is actually related to colder weather somehow, perhaps related to one of the "cold weather improvements" they introduced last year. Don't know if some update finally fixed the issue for me, but so far so good.
They decided to compensate for the range loss due to cold by disabling the amp? ;)

• Funny
Reactions: mswlogo

I was also thinking that cold weather may have impacted the performance of the amp, but again no real data to prove it. All I can say is that my perception of the bass is different now then it was when I first got the car. I had a number of songs that I would play that were sure to rattle the mirrors and trunk as if I had an aftermarket system in the car, and now those same songs just....don't. Bass is still there, the sub is working, but it just doesn't hit as hard as it used to.

I’m in the same boat, all has been normal on the bass front for quite some time. Love the stereo in this car (again)!

They decided to compensate for the range loss due to cold by disabling the amp? ;)

Heh, well probably not intentionally. In adding some of the cold weather features they may have inadvertently caused some power consumption issue with the sub amp. I've never noticed a problem on warm weather days. I don't have any hard data to back this up, just my own observations when this issue was plaguing me for months during this last winter as well as some comments others have made further back in this thread.

Heh, well probably not intentionally. In adding some of the cold weather features they may have inadvertently caused some power consumption issue with the sub amp. I've never noticed a problem on warm weather days. I don't have any hard data to back this up, just my own observations when this issue was plaguing me for months during this last winter as well as some comments others have made further back in this thread.

It's a small digital amp and really has no impact on that equation. Power saving options would be directed to HV loads not post DC/DC converter. AC, Heat, etc.

I was making a bad joke.

I agree with your conclusion, as it appeared for most right around the "cold weather improvements" update.

I was also thinking that cold weather may have impacted the performance of the amp, but again no real data to prove it. All I can say is that my perception of the bass is different now then it was when I first got the car. I had a number of songs that I would play that were sure to rattle the mirrors and trunk as if I had an aftermarket system in the car, and now those same songs just....don't. Bass is still there, the sub is working, but it just doesn't hit as hard as it used to.

Actually the cold is a really good point. The inrush powering up a really cold amp might have tripped something.
I had my car in a cozy garage, never went much lower than ~45F in my (unheated) but attached garage and I never had the problem.

The best test is to run a Sweep Test. You can get an MP3 file that sweeps all frequencies, find an App that does it.

It's hard to judge by ear though. So the best think is pink noise and a spectrum analyzer (which there are also apps for).

Tesla swept some of the frequencies under the mats so just look there, no sweep test needed. I also found a bass trap in the glove box so if you are wondering where that all went it's in that strange opening in the back. Opening the glove box gives you a 12 dB boost.

Random observations:

#1: There is some sort of vent flap in the well under the subwoofer. I think it may be there to equalize pressure when you close the trunk lid? Or just an exit path for HVAC air going through the car.
(If that got stuck open would it let some of the sub-bass pressure escape?)

#2: The rear deck pass-through, which some said was to let sub-bass get into the cabin (when rear seat-backs are up) or maybe to let HVAC airflow go past the rear passenger's heads... it is now covered over in newer Model 3s.
So one must assume it had limited purpose before if Tesla decided to just cover it up now.

#3: I am still paying attention to those theories about temperature. I do sense we got more of thees types of comments of weak sub-bass during winter months.

#4: What matters to the driver is what the sound is like near their ears. I think testing with a sound pressure meter in the trunk area isn't totally indicative of what the driver hears. If you are taking sound pressure readings, I think you should do that near where the driver's head usually is positioned.