Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound when idle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not normal to hear that sound every two minutes, but it sounds like the high voltage contactors opening or closing. They would normally open when the car goes to sleep (should be about 20 minutes after leaving the car and not having Sentry Mode, Keep Climate On, or any of those other modes on). You would normally hear that sound also when the contactors close after the car has been asleep a while and you go to open the door or unplug the charge connector to use the car.

It's not normal to hear that sound every two minutes, but it sounds like the high voltage contactors opening or closing. They would normally open when the car goes to sleep (should be about 20 minutes after leaving the car and not having Sentry Mode, Keep Climate On, or any of those other modes on). You would normally hear that sound also when the contactors close after the car has been asleep a while and you go to open the door or unplug the charge connector to use the car.
I don’t have Sentry mode on and climate is off. I was losing 4-6% range everyday when idle, and you are right I usually use to get these sounds when opening door.

And I observed that the car is not going to sleep for some reason with this sound.

Have you done a full shutdown from the screen, let it sit for an hour or so, then power it back up?
Thank you; I tried it, I am still hearing those sounds. It feels like vehicle is struggling to sleep.

I would reset your password again. I have read here somewhere that some people have experienced resetting the password and whatever third party app it was, still accessing their account.

I did it as well, still the same :-(

I scheduled for a service, will see what they say.

My car is also doing this, I heard it one other time (definitely the cabin fan running you can hear it at the intake for the cabin fan right side of upper firewall. Last time I opened the door and it shut off. This time I will let it run for a bit and check the battery usage. Sure its a software bug, but how long will it run for? Will update later.
I recommend scheduling a service. I was having multiple issues; no network connectivity, loss of range, USB not plugged in correctly error and sound issue.

We have a month old Model Y performance and the same issue. May I ask how long before you noticed this on yours? Like for how long was your car doing these events every 2mins before you had it fixed? We are a little worried if it's doing any damage to all the parts affected by this. Did Tesla mention anything to you?
Our car has been in with Tesla twice for this issue and they can't figure it out or are playing dumb. We are frustrated and disappointed.

Mine started a month after the purchase. I went for 5 servicings and every time I went I had to show videos of car making sounds. I was also losing 11% of range every day.

They finally found idle range loss was due to over head console pinging VC left every five minutes. They replaced it and now I no longer have that issue. You should def schedule a service if you are hearing the sounds every two mins or so, also keep an eye on range.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl