Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound won't work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 3 days of no sound, I was able to get my sound to come back by doing the following:

1. From the Music menu, go to your equalizer. Move each of the 5 settings from its current position to a different position, doesnt matter up or down. Stay on the EQ settings
2. Then perform a scroll reset on the steering wheel

The sound came back by doing the above. Before this, I tried powering down, scroll reset, dashboard reset and none of these work until I did the above told to me by my service center. Hope it works for others, please report back if it does.

Reactions: neptune2000
First of all, thank you to all who have contributed to this thread. I lost all sound tonight in my Model X 75. I tried multiple attempts of
1. scroll wheel reset
2. dash screen reset
3. power off to car
4. near simultaneous scroll wheel then dash (instrument cluster) reset
5. near simultaneous dash then scroll wheel reset
6. equalizer trick described by @NuG in post #22
Finally, after the second attempt at #6, the sound came back.

But then, and this may be shear coincidence, I plugged in the car to charge from my HPWC and got an immediate red light at the charge port. I tried multiple times before realizing I also had a red error light on the HPWC. A circuit breaker reset cleared the fault and the car started charging. Like I said, this may be just coincidence that it happened immediately after the loss of sound and many resets, but it's the first time I've had a charging error on the car or on the HPWC.

So @NuG, I have no idea how the audio equalizer could have anything to do with total sound in the car, including turn signals, but thank you for posting your solution. I leave for a trip on Saturday and was having visions of listening to music from the tiny speaker on my phone.

Solarman - glad you were able to get your sound back. Not having sound was a bit eerie to me.

My Service Center said that there is a bug in the latest firmware and in the last update the EQ was updated. Not sure why or what would cause all of the sound to be muted but definitely EQ related. Tesla is working on a fix.

Thanks solarman. I noticed my equalizer was defaulted all the way down on all 5. I started to move them up and the next sound came back the next day. I am still seeing the service center this Thursday to check to make sure. So far sound is back.

spoke with the service center again today, good news they can get me in this Thursday to check it out. The rep on the phone mentioned if I did the xmas easter egg. Coincidentally, the problems happen a little bit after I ran it twice. Not sure if this caused the problem.
Today my problem was addressed, it takes about 30 minutes for the tech to do a reset. I think the problem did comes from the Xmas easter egg. I ran it 3 times, my kids love the performance ;). And seems the reset will not affect any personal setting, I worried that I had to set the homelink or seat positon again, I thought it might be like a factory reset, but everything you presetted are remained perfectly.

Today my problem was addressed, it takes about 30 minutes for the tech to do a reset. I think the problem did comes from the Xmas easter egg. I ran it 3 times, my kids love the performance
I'm curious. What was the reset performed by the tech? Did they disconnect the 12 V battery?
Thank you for the update. I'll be reluctant in the future to crack open any more Easter eggs...

First of all, thank you to all who have contributed to this thread. I lost all sound tonight in my Model X 75. I tried multiple attempts of
1. scroll wheel reset
2. dash screen reset
3. power off to car
4. near simultaneous scroll wheel then dash (instrument cluster) reset
5. near simultaneous dash then scroll wheel reset
6. equalizer trick described by @NuG in post #22
Finally, after the second attempt at #6, the sound came back.

But then, and this may be shear coincidence, I plugged in the car to charge from my HPWC and got an immediate red light at the charge port. I tried multiple times before realizing I also had a red error light on the HPWC. A circuit breaker reset cleared the fault and the car started charging. Like I said, this may be just coincidence that it happened immediately after the loss of sound and many resets, but it's the first time I've had a charging error on the car or on the HPWC.

So @NuG, I have no idea how the audio equalizer could have anything to do with total sound in the car, including turn signals, but thank you for posting your solution. I leave for a trip on Saturday and was having visions of listening to music from the tiny speaker on my phone.

Same symptoms here but #6 did the trick after 2 reboots.
We then called the SC to update them, they were glad to hear about this solution as they had similar issues reported from many customers. Another TMC miracle.
FYI, we did the Xmas easter egg 3 times - the last one interrupted before the sound went away.

I'm curious. What was the reset performed by the tech? Did they disconnect the 12 V battery?
Thank you for the update. I'll be reluctant in the future to crack open any more Easter eggs...
Yes, the reset was performed by the tech, they didn't explain much to me, just said it's complicated reset, they had to hook up a computer to do so. I had my phone charger installed at the same time.

I posted in one of the "equalizer keeps resetting itself" threads that I downloaded this morning the software update v8.0(2.52.22) in my MX. The equalizer resetting problem is fixed. Hopefully this update also fixes the "no sound" issue.

I got the update Tuesday AM while I was at the office. When I prepared to leave I went to precondition the car, nothing OK I get in the car foot on brake pedal, DEAD! release the brake a press it again, DEAD! I just about decided to call Tesla when I hit the brake a third time, and I got the the "T" in front of the steering wheel and i comes to life, meanwhile I note the MCU "17 inch display" is DEAD. Now the fun began I put it in Drive and the car rolls backward, No creep forward, no heat, driving to Tesla which is on my way home I am mentally noting DEAD items... Front LED's out, and the list is growing. I had all to do to get the car up the ramp to the garage door, I had to use both feet brake and accelerator at once. They reset both displays same results, 15 minutes later they came and got me, car is done. They did a hard reset of the car and all was good!!!

@2virgule5 I suspected the issue might have been with something in the latest updated because the EQ was updated. It took 2 reboots and on the first I heard a pop in the speaker so I knew I was getting close. When I discussed the issue with the Service Center I mentioned that and they told me to try it again and it fixed it. Purely dumb luck

• Informative
Reactions: 2virgule5
After 3 days of no sound, I was able to get my sound to come back by doing the following:

1. From the Music menu, go to your equalizer. Move each of the 5 settings from its current position to a different position, doesnt matter up or down. Stay on the EQ settings
2. Then perform a scroll reset on the steering wheel

The sound came back by doing the above. Before this, I tried powering down, scroll reset, dashboard reset and none of these work until I did the above told to me by my service center. Hope it works for others, please report back if it does.

Thank you NuG for posting this.:) This worked for me. I was stressing out and tried several different reboots, but all didn't work until I searched here. I also had a pending update and couldn't install it until I followed your instructions. Thanks again.

I lost all audio yesterday during a long rainy traffic ridden drive to San Diego. Tried all the usual reboot options without resolution. Out of desperation, I happened to hit equalizer and noticed the settings were not where I've been leaving them (but not all reset to 3 like the prior bug). So I moved them back to my preferences and while it didn't do anything, when I got back in the car several hours later TG my audio had returned.

Stumbled on this thread and happy to have also stumbled on the @NuG solution, validating what I thought was a fluke fix for me.

Reactions: neptune2000