Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soundproofing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello there.
Yesterday I got my CPO 2013 P85+, and I am quite unhappy with it.
Yes it is fast, but that is it. Neither the technology nor interior appointments impress me. The "ultra super premium sound system" is a joke.

But what really is killing my desire to drive this car daily is how noise it is in the parkway. The 21" rims and low profile tires certainly do not help and I will replace them, but really this car needs proper soundproofing.
There is nothing I can do with the thin single pane windows, but did anyone here attempted to soundproof a Model S?
I believe that replacing carpets, under-mats (if any), and adding proper noise damping would cost $2k or less. That would be a lot less than trading in this car after two days. Or having a $60K paperweight in my driveway.
Off course if someone in the area is interested on alleviating my pain, I am a motivated seller.

Hello there.
Yesterday I got my CPO 2013 P85+, and I am quite unhappy with it.
Yes it is fast, but that is it. Neither the technology nor interior appointments impress me. The "ultra super premium sound system" is a joke.

But what really is killing my desire to drive this car daily is how noise it is in the parkway. The 21" rims and low profile tires certainly do not help and I will replace them, but really this car needs proper soundproofing.
There is nothing I can do with the thin single pane windows, but did anyone here attempted to soundproof a Model S?
I believe that replacing carpets, under-mats (if any), and adding proper noise damping would cost $2k or less. That would be a lot less than trading in this car after two days. Or having a $60K paperweight in my driveway.
Off course if someone in the area is interested on alleviating my pain, I am a motivated seller.

Out of curiosity did you even attempt to test drive the car before purchasing?

Seems like a lot of this could have been avoided

Out of curiosity did you even attempt to test drive the car before purchasing?

Seems like a lot of this could have been avoided

Yes, but I did not take it to the highway. I drove around the block, and that really does not show the noise issue.Silly me.
Looks like others resolved that for less than $2k.
If that works, I can leave with the other flaws for a while.
On my defense, the gar is gorgeous. I wish it was ugly hahaha.

PS. The SA called and they will set an appointment to change the gaskets and check the pano roof for sealing failure, a common wind noise source.

I have a 2014 P85+ with the same loud road noise / wind noise interior. I put about $1,800 into sound deadening (material and labor), focused on the doors and rear hatch area. Also, added the parcel shelf in the back. Helped a lot with the wind noise coming in the back, however the tire noise from the 21's still permeates the cabin. Switching to a quieter tire and a 20 inch rim shortly, hoping that will help.

Now that I have the rear and the doors done, I think I need to put some attention to the floor, "firewall" and frunk area as the sound definitely now is more pervasive from the front. I haven't looked closely, but I think the door seals, particularly in the rear, are pretty weak and could definitely be part of the source of the noise. Tesla service in Chicago says "normal interior volume".

Have not driven a 15/16/17 but only 13/14 and they all (mine plus two others) have had the exact same interior volume levels. Quite loud. Heard newer models had more sound deadening advancements. I have a 2016 3/4 ton GMC Denali HD Diesel and it's MUCH quieter on the inside than my MS. My wife's 16 Escalade is a night and day difference - it's what the Tesla should sound like. However, still love my MS and will continue to try and get it much quieter on the inside.

Reactions: davidc18
I am not sure what the tailgate stoppers are. Will look into the manual. Thanks for the tip.
not tailgate. Liftgate black bumpers on each side of the trunk. You can see them when the trunk is open. Is on the "black background area on the sides of the trunk. Sometimes these are too high or too low and their is a buffeting noise from the front when the sunroof or windows are open and you are driving. Its a dedicate balance of how high the bumpers need to be.

Well, thank you all for the support.
I am willing to put $2k to make it tolerable.
Any more than that and I am dumping it and going back to the s-class. I got enough of the Tesla luxury standard as it is.

At the risk of getting myself in trouble here on the Tesla board... If you're looking for S-class luxury in the model S, you're looking in the wrong spot and have the wrong car. Model S does not compare well to S-class interior appointments. Different league of luxury, different kind of car. For the record, previous S63 owner...

Nope, you won't get in trouble for saying that here. Tesla fans are the some of first to say go get another car if the Tesla isn't what you want. If you want S Class style luxury, go buy an S Class. But if you want a great, revolutionary car unlike any other, that doesn't burn gas, keep the Model S. See what happened? :p:D:cool:

The new Teslas (built since the Dual Motors/Autopilot hardware was released in Oct 14 I think) have significantly better sound proofing than the earlier vehicles. The P85+ also has stiffer sport suspension and bushings that are probably are louder than the standard suspension as well. If you were looking for S Class luxury, the + suspension on a 2013 was probably furthest possible configuration from that type of car.

Reactions: davidc18
Well, thank you all for the support.
I am willing to put $2k to make it tolerable.
Any more than that and I am dumping it and going back to the s-class. I got enough of the Tesla luxury standard as it is.
Yes, different type of luxury altogether. That said, the newest Model Ses have much better fit-and-finish and polish in the interior, not to mention better reliability and less noisy interiors than the 2013 edition. So (an assumption here, but) if you're comparing a new S-class to a 2013 Model S, maybe try comparing with a 2016 Model S instead and see how they compare at that point.

At the risk of getting myself in trouble here on the Tesla board... If you're looking for S-class luxury in the model S, you're looking in the wrong spot and have the wrong car. Model S does not compare well to S-class interior appointments. Different league of luxury, different kind of car. For the record, previous S63 owner...
Blasphemy
You should be ashamed for the words you put together.

Blasphemy
You should be ashamed for the words you put together.
When I test drove a CPO 2014 I was initially surprised at the apparent noise, but after a while realized the complete lack of engine noise (at low speeds) was why I was focused on tire noise, road rumble from imperfections (lots of those in CO), etc. I wonder whether the context of a much quieter motor leaves us hearing 'more' noise because the background noise we expect is gone?

Oh course wind noise is wind noise - regardless of motor, and the newer ones are substantially quieter (but I still noticed myself obsessing on noise I am sure is masked by engine noise in ICEs).

Yes, different type of luxury altogether. That said, the newest Model Ses have much better fit-and-finish and polish in the interior, not to mention better reliability and less noisy interiors than the 2013 edition. So (an assumption here, but) if you're comparing a new S-class to a 2013 Model S, maybe try comparing with a 2016 Model S instead and see how they compare at that point.

Unfortunately yes. Your assumptions are correct. I do compare it to the S-Class every second.
I certainly do not dare to compare to our Leaf or B-Class, and I had S-class models from 1994 to 2013, so my brain is irrationally locked on that comparison. And that is what the media compares to, right?

Why did I buy it?
It is gorgeous. It looks really good. It was that or a non CPO 2015 S550, and I never even went to test drive the merc.
Love at first site, what can I say? Like a Vegas wedding.
Both cars had around 60K in acquisition costs, but the MS equals to $300++ less per month in operational costs, plus 2 or 3 tons of bragging rights.
My neighbor already hates the MS. He drives a 2011 S65. He stared to the P85+ badge a second too long.
The merc would be just another one here in South Florida.
All that plays quite an emotional role in decision making. Plus I really did not assume the deposit was non refundable.
So I need to make my commute tolerable and all tips and support here help me plan for it.
There is one more problem.
The car insists in cruising at 90 mph, and automatically sprints when anything tries to pass it. On the merc I was able to control that behavior. At that rate I estimate loosing my license in two weeks.