Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soundproofing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car is back.
Not sure if I can say that, because this cannot be the same car. The VIN is the same, but wow. Now I know I had a defective car.

The invoice has 6 pages. From glass panels to all rubbers to added 3 or 4 types of insulation all over. I did not get a grasp of all it yet.
I drove it home with the 21" rims with new rubber. Drives as it should now. Owns nothing to other Teslas I drove before.
Not a decent test, but I see 66db average on the drive home. With 21s!

I was able to listen to my audio book without fiddling the volume every minute. The traffic noise at I95 was much better.
I will not be able to gauge how much difference goes to the tires or all labor/insulation added, and at this point I no longer care (much). Tomorrow I will reinstall the 19s and sell the 21s. Call it done.
So, if someone else goes buy a P85+ CPO and is not happy with the noise level, talk to Tesla.
Thank you all in this forum for the support and suggestions. I believe that if was not for you, I would have dumped the car and missed a great experience.
Now that I am fully engaged, I purchased the maintenance manual and I am ready to dig in. Wife is already having panic attacks.
20170210_170701.jpg
20170210_170857.jpg

I'll take a vid of a stripped down tesla documenting all areas that need further deadening

Well, got the car all stripped down from the rear doors back. Added another box of sound deadening. Focuse on the area you pointed out. Placed aluminum backed butyl (Stinger Roadkill Expert) inside the large hole on the rear wheel humps as well as far back on the body panels. Three layers on all surfaces and then filled in the space with Dynamat acoustic foam. Covered outside with Stinger Extreme. Here are a few in process shots. Started reassembly this evening.

Will post when I have some results but I'm hoping this makes a difference - since the process is quite the pain in the...

Thanks again for the guidance.
IMG_0333.JPG

IMG_0335.JPG

IMG_0336.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Btr_ftw
Car is back.
Not sure if I can say that, because this cannot be the same car. The VIN is the same, but wow. Now I know I had a defective car.

The invoice has 6 pages. From glass panels to all rubbers to added 3 or 4 types of insulation all over. I did not get a grasp of all it yet.
I drove it home with the 21" rims with new rubber. Drives as it should now. Owns nothing to other Teslas I drove before.
Not a decent test, but I see 66db average on the drive home. With 21s!

I was able to listen to my audio book without fiddling the volume every minute. The traffic noise at I95 was much better.
I will not be able to gauge how much difference goes to the tires or all labor/insulation added, and at this point I no longer care (much). Tomorrow I will reinstall the 19s and sell the 21s. Call it done.
So, if someone else goes buy a P85+ CPO and is not happy with the noise level, talk to Tesla.
Thank you all in this forum for the support and suggestions. I believe that if was not for you, I would have dumped the car and missed a great experience.
Now that I am fully engaged, I purchased the maintenance manual and I am ready to dig in. Wife is already having panic attacks.View attachment 214242 View attachment 214243

That is fantastic! What a change in experience after only a matter of months!

I’ve always been very particular about noise levels, and rattles and squeaks in my car, to the point that I think I’m a little nutty. Thank you for keeping us updated all along. I’m really happy that in the end, it all turned out really well.

I just placed my order for an S75 three days ago. Your little saga reinforces my confidence in buying this car, and in Tesla backing me up if anything is not to my satisfaction.

Thanks again.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18