Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

sounds like a cricket?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pharma5

Roadster F#25, Model 3 #36xx
Nov 22, 2011
central NJ
while heading home and plugging in (115V 15A in not-freezing but cold garage) noticed a small squeaking noise that sounds almost like a steady cricket:confused: - this is in tandem with the normal hum & whirr as coolant circulates through the battery. may have noticed at the last stoplight by home, but certainly after pulling and plugging in.

coolant seems to be moving fine, but sound is coming from the general vicinity of the coolant tank at the right side of the PEM. nothing else abnormal that i've picked up yet.

could this be anything special, or maybe just a loose connect that squeaks now (perhaps louder than it used to:smile:)?

Maybe it IS a cricket? :tongue: I got a million of em! I'll be here till Tuesday, don't forget to tip your waitress!

while heading home and plugging in (115V 15A in not-freezing but cold garage) noticed a small squeaking noise that sounds almost like a steady cricket:confused: - this is in tandem with the normal hum & whirr as coolant circulates through the battery. may have noticed at the last stoplight by home, but certainly after pulling and plugging in.

coolant seems to be moving fine, but sound is coming from the general vicinity of the coolant tank at the right side of the PEM. nothing else abnormal that i've picked up yet.

could this be anything special, or maybe just a loose connect that squeaks now (perhaps louder than it used to:smile:)?

Hi Pharma5,
I am now over 100.000 kms on my Roadster, and as I have already understood almost every sound the car emits, I know perfectly what you mean...
Don't worry, it's just a ferrite nucleos on the high-voltage orange cables next to the coolant tank that is vibrating to the frequency of the current being transported.
These nucleos (the black plastic hexagons, one per cable, just outside the PEM, but also inside) can get loose over time, and start vibrating.
At the next annual Roadster service, ask your Ranger to tight these nucleos with some tape.
But it's not dangerous, don't worry! Just a bit annoying, as it can happen whil charging at given amps, or also while driving at given accelerations...