Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sounds like there will be a Model X at the new Palo Alto store at opening...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am more interested in seeing how they solve the snow on the roof issue for potential buyers from, you know, outside of California. :wink:

Contrary to the stereotype, California is not all warm sunny beaches. California's Sierra Mountains get a lot of snow.
http://media.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/photos/images/2011/apr11/spring_storms_sm/spring_storms_09.jpg
Great Article on Recent Monster Storms in Serene Lakes | Serene Lakes Real Estate - Serene Lakes Realty - Jackie Kirby Krista Weidman

One of the main jobs of the Folsom Supercharger is to connect the San Francisco Bay Area to ski resorts in the vicinity of Tahoe. The planned supercharger map show superchargers connecting Los Angeles to ski resorts in the southern Sierra mountains. Tesla knows that California gets some serious snow, and their customers drive in it.

True enough. I need something with towing capability, ability to haul 3 large dogs, skis, windsurfing gear at times, kayaks, mountain bikes, handles well in snow, and a moderate amount of off-road capability (keeping in mind that I've taken plenty of non-off road vehicles on 4wd-only trails without incident). Your needs may vary.

And I probably won't be looking at replacing my Highlander for a lot of years, since I don't drive it much now and serves it's purpose well. For my experience in buying these types of vehicles, I need to measure them in detail. I have a very long recumbent bike that actually fits inside my Highlander! My dream vehicle would be able to contain my paddleboard inside the car, as it is heavy.

I just got back from the white 2nd prototype Model X in Palo Alto. Brought a friend of mine and he upgraded to a Sig X from a production reservation he'd made a couple months ago after he saw it up close and personal. He'll be moving up from a Porsche Cayenne. Chatted with TJ, who's worked for TSLA for 5+ years for a few minutes. He said there will be a "Model X Factory Event" just like they had for the S "sometime next year" where we'll be driven around in Beta models (hopefully on the new test track -- it has an awesome banked turn I noticed when I was driving by the frontage road on Friday). TJ indicated he wouldn't be surprised if Elon personally inspects each Sig X model as he did the S.

I took a HD 3D video of the Model X, which I'll upload to YouTube when I get a chance, hopefully by late Tuesday 10/15 PDT.

Last edited:
I just got back from the white 2nd prototype Model X in Palo Alto. Brought a friend of mine and he upgraded to a Sig X from a production reservation he'd made a couple months ago after he saw it up close and personal. He'll be going from a Porsche Panamera. Chatted with TJ, whose worked for TSLA for 5+ years now for a few minutes. He said there will be a "Model X Factory Event" just like they had for the S "sometime next year" where we'll be driven around in Beta models (hopefuly on the new test track -- it has an awesome banked turn I noticed when I was driving on Friday). TJ indicated he wouldn't be surprised if Elon personally inspects each Sig model as he did the S.

I took a HD 3D video of the Model X, which I'll upload to YouTube when I get a chance, hopefully late tonight PDT.

Excellent, can't wait for the video. And for the latest Model X tally.

Btw. It's still the first prototype--there is only one existing. At least I was told. It got repainted in white but it's the same one from the launch event.

Some pics of the white Model X prototype today.

Thank you for posting the pictures. I've done a fair bit of web scrounging to see pictures of the 2 MX prototypes and these are among the best I've seen of the white one. Can't wait to see the production version.

I'm still hoping Elon debuts it for his cross-country trip... just to increase the "wow" factor of what is already an audacious publicity stunt.

Would anyone that has examined this car be willing to hazard a guess as to the selling price of the Model X ?

I can't see it being much cheaper than the Model S. $65,000 for the base configuration.

Could it just be dropping battery costs that give them the ability to sell it for less?

I think they have stated that it will be "about" the same price as a similarly equipped Model S.
A similarly equipped Model S with an AWD option, retrofits and price increases over 2 years, and ...

Even if it's not "more expensive" than Model S, it will be "at least as expensive" as Model S at the time Model X finalizations begin. In other words, it won't be at 2012 Model S pricing.

No, Tesla took over the Fisker building, which I find ironic. I wonder if Tesla got a good deal on that...knowing them they probably did :wink:

That is not correct. The Tesla site formerly housed Carlsen Volvo. Price Simms Dealer Group previously had Fisker and McLaren co-located on the next lot, in separate showrooms. After Carlsen Volvo shut down Price Simms took over the Volvo franchise in Palo Alto, and are housing it in the showroom that they previously used for Fisker.

That is not correct. The Tesla site formerly housed Carlsen Volvo. Price Simms Dealer Group previously had Fisker and McLaren co-located on the next lot, in separate showrooms. After Carlsen Volvo shut down Price Simms took over the Volvo franchise in Palo Alto, and are housing it in the showroom that they previously used for Fisker.

Thanks for the correction, I was told by the Tesla staff that their showroom was the former Fisker building.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw. professional photographer from SJ Mercury News showed up -- look for pics published in Monday's paper.

Mercury News pics are in, posted online here

Very nice pics (all 20 of them).

Last edited:
What # did they quote. I've been seeing 6,000 being thrown around in a few online articles recently. Global Reservations could be quoted to be over 8,000.
While that is unlikely to be WAY off, remember that you can't just add production + Sig reservation numbers. People who upgraded from production to a Sig have two numbers (but only one reservation) and quite a few people have stated here that they have both Sig and P reservations so they can decide when the time comes which one they want...

I think so too, probably also the camera limitations play a role here (these are iPhone pictures). In real life the back row seat legroom looks really good. Unfortunately, we were not allowed to get even close to the car--I would have loved to take a seat.

Btw. professional photographer from SJ Mercury News showed up -- look for pics published in Monday's paper.

I was there in person yesterday. Respectfully, I disagree. The pictures are not deceiving. If anything, when viewing this in person, I thought the pictures created the appearance of even more room than it does when you get up close, and I'd say standing a few feet away from the car is close. After getting an up close view, it become even more clear that there's no way -- no way -- that any adults would fit comfortably in both the second and third row at the same time, unless they have no legs. No way, no how.

I realize that most people would never plan to use the third row anyway. Indeed, I overheard a number of people ask whether they could simply remove one of the rows of seats to make more storage space. But the reason why they didn't have anyone actually get in the car, or have any of the Tesla people actually sit in the car, is because it would be all too obvious how little legroom there would be if someone actually intends to use both the second and third row simultaneously to seat life size adults. Which is fine as long as people understand that the third row is really for smaller kids but would offer more space than the rear-facing seats in the MS.

Having said all this, if I were in the market for a Porsche Cayenne, and I'm not, the Model X would be my car of choice instead.

Last edited:
While that is unlikely to be WAY off, remember that you can't just add production + Sig reservation numbers. People who upgraded from production to a Sig have two numbers (but only one reservation) and quite a few people have stated here that they have both Sig and P reservations so they can decide when the time comes which one they want...
I got that, just curious really.

Off topic sorry.... Could one imagine that we have around 2.5% (~200 of the current 8,200) that either upgraded, have both or cancelled? I almost want to start a tally of that or record known ones. I see that there have been a little activity of people mentioning it, but I doubt it will be very high?

This describes my situation.

But the reason why they didn't have anyone actually get in the car, or have any of the Tesla people actually sit in the car, is because it would be all too obvious how little legroom there would be if someone actually intends to use both the second and third row simultaneously to seat life size adults.

And yet at the launch event last year, they loaded up both the second and third rows with life-size adults and there were no complaints. All evening long. Lots of us. More than once.

Perhaps they didn't have anyone actually get in the car was for another reason? Or did they actually state 'because it would be all too obvious how little legroom there would be'?.

And yet at the launch event last year, they loaded up both the second and third rows with life-size adults and there were no complaints. All evening long. Lots of us. More than once.

Perhaps they didn't have anyone actually get in the car was for another reason? Or did they actually state 'because it would be all too obvious how little legroom there would be'?.

maybe they have changed the current configuration...... because as Bonnie says at the reveal there were no complaints and I was both in the front and the back rows at different times and had no problems. I am no giant but certainly not tiny either at 6'2"