Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sounds system sub in LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my SR+ in for service today and got the LR loaner so I can check out the difference between the two because I'm thinking of trading. I heard that the sound system in the LR is amazing but when I turned it on, I can barely hear the bass. It sounds the same as my SR+. I went into the settings and the bass up in order to hear any bass even with that I wouldn't say it kicks.

The loaner is 2019 with the standard interior. Do I need to get the premium interior to get a decent bass?

sounds like your LR loaner doesn't have premium sound. The bass is quite good regardless of the bit rate of the source in mine. Also, I was under the impression that low bitrate first affects high frequencies way before it affects low ones.

sounds like your LR loaner doesn't have premium sound. The bass is quite good regardless of the bit rate of the source in mine. Also, I was under the impression that low bitrate first affects high frequencies way before it affects low ones.

There's no such thing as an LR Model 3 without premium sound.

It appears the issue was the poor source material he was using.

I agree with the OP actually. The clarity and quality of the system is the best OEM system I've ever heard, but the bass is nothing to write home about. If you've ever been in a car with a real subwoofer setup you'll know what I mean. There is no way that little 8 in sub with 80W going to it can really be impressive, especially in a sedan with a trunk. My last car was a hatchback and I had a 10 in sub with 300W. That was starting to approach decent. FWIW I listen to rock so I'm not expecting rap level bass here, but I do want to have some bass drum kick when i turn it up. I should be able to feel the bass drum a bit.

Right now I have the bass EQ maxed at 8 and the rest in the 0.0 to 2.0 range, just to try and bring out the kick a bit more, only helps to a degree though. The car really needs a separate sub control and one of those "bass boost" buttons like old school stereos had.

Reactions: JaeTheDev
It really depends on the music you listen to. I've had cars with dedicated aftermarket subwoofers which makes its presence known in every music genre but factory subs tend to only perform in very bass heavy songs. To me, the Model 3 subwoofer is good enough in bass heavy songs but in everything else its presence is questionable.

There's plenty of bass drum kick, and I'm a picky professional musician. Try lowering the bottom (left) EQ fader to a bit below the center, then turn up the second to left fader to taste. That second one is your actual bass fader - the first one is tuned too low, and is really only good for special effects, but can muddy up and block the low end if it's turned up too high.

Reactions: CameraJim and zhu-
There's plenty of bass drum kick, and I'm a picky professional musician. Try lowering the bottom (left) EQ fader to a bit below the center, then turn up the second to left fader to taste. That second one is your actual bass fader - the first one is tuned too low, and is really only good for special effects, but can muddy up and block the low end if it's turned up too high.

Wow that's interesting. I'll give that a try. Wish it would show the frequencies for each slider in the EQ.

I took my SR+ in for service today and got the LR loaner so I can check out the difference between the two because I'm thinking of trading. I heard that the sound system in the LR is amazing but when I turned it on, I can barely hear the bass. It sounds the same as my SR+. I went into the settings and the bass up in order to hear any bass even with that I wouldn't say it kicks.

The loaner is 2019 with the standard interior. Do I need to get the premium interior to get a decent bass?

Yes. If it's a standard interior, then it's the same as an SR. But as others said I don't know how you got that it's a standard interior because LRs don't have standard interiors or maybe it not really a LR.

Nope. For me the bass drum is completely contained in the left most EQ slider. If I move that down, it completely disappears. At max it's there, but weak IMO. The second to left EQ slider is more in the range of bass guitar notes.

Bottom line is it just doesn't have the punch I would expect from a "good" sound system. The mirrors don't vibrate at all even at high volume, that's another indication that it just isn't there. In a good system when you turn it up the reflections in the mirrors (side and rear) should quite visibly show vibration.

No problem, that's easy enough to supplement, especially with the 12V tap and the signal being right there in the rear of the car. I've got a spring project! :)

FWIW, here's the 1/6 octave RTA curve of the SR+ stock stereo measured roughly where the driver's head is with the eq set to 0 on all bands, fader in center, and immersive sound off. This is pretty good sound curve (flat is NOT what you want) down to about 50hz; a sub would definitely help.

FlatEQ.jpg