Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Source button gone! - 7.1 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even though I knew it was gone, I instinctively went to hit the source button no less then 6 times today. I believe it was closer to 10 though. I'm going to start reporting this as a "bug report" via the voice command each time I reach for it and it's not present. I think if we all start doing this, they will get the idea. Also, anyone notice the graphics for the song browser not lining up? or parts chopped off? And finally, song name, channel name, or art isn't displaying on the dash screen. I have media set for that side, and verified.

As usual, 10 steps forward, 8 steps backward with these firmware releases. And other then autopilot and summon, all of Firmware 7+ in my opinion has been 100 steps forward, 200 steps backward. Frustrating.

Remember, the steering wheel right scroll wheel retains the ability the change source if you set it up to do so by pressing the button beneath the scroll wheel. A similar menu will appear on the right side of the driver's console. It doesn't help the passenger, but it could help the driver overcome the anxiety over losing the functionality of the touch screen.

Remember, the steering wheel right scroll wheel retains the ability the change source if you set it up to do so by pressing the button beneath the scroll wheel. A similar menu will appear on the right side of the driver's console. It doesn't help the passenger, but it could help the driver overcome the anxiety over losing the functionality of the touch screen.

I have the pano roof assigned to the scroll wheel. Hate to change that just because they got rid of the source button.

Something worth mentioning here :

Since I got 7.0, every single time I used the source button to switch from Slacker to my BT phone source, I would get a "connecting..." message that would stay there for a good 2-3 minutes before it finally worked. If, instead, I used the Favorite icon, went back in the "My devices" section and selected my phone, I would get instant BT audio.

Maybe the source button was bugged?

Just thinking out loud here.

I had the same problem trying to play Bluetooth from my iPhone. I was never successful, but maybe I didn't wait long enough.

Guys, guys, guys, we are all focusing on the wrong thing -- a missing button from the 17 inch screen that was not terribly convenient (or safe) to reach and engage while driving at 70 mph, or the steering wheel button that is best used for other things. The real user interface deficiency to focus on is the lack of voice commands to change audio sources, check the weather, dictate texts, etc. The voice commands we DO have work remarkably well, imho (most valuably, for navigation -- too bad navigation itself sucks).
Voice command is gaining in importance every day. Why Tesla isn't doing anything in this regard is beyond me.

Guys, guys, guys, we are all focusing on the wrong thing -- a missing button from the 17 inch screen that was not terribly convenient (or safe) to reach and engage while driving at 70 mph, or the steering wheel button that is best used for other things. The real user interface deficiency to focus on is the lack of voice commands to change audio sources, check the weather, dictate texts, etc. The voice commands we DO have work remarkably well, imho (most valuably, for navigation -- too bad navigation itself sucks).
Voice command is gaining in importance every day. Why Tesla isn't doing anything in this regard is beyond me.

I'd like the drop-down menu back but agree that voice input should be expanded. It picks up song names for Slacker quite well, not sure why they couldn't have a command to change to FM station xxx, bluetooth device etc. Even my Xfinity cable remote will switch to CNN or find a football game when I talk to it.

I miss this feature as well and can't understand why it was removed. Why do we now have to reconfigure / dual-purpose the scroll wheel, requiring many additional steps, just to do something that was available, and easier, before, if there is no justifiable reason it was removed?

Was just thinking...

If we're having issues with basic features like clock & temperature placement, keeping the audio from auto playing in the middle of the night, and the media source selector mysteriously disappearing, should we be concerned about the quality of the software for AutoPilot???