Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Source for Bilstein coil struts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couldn't find a definitive answer here (although I suspect it's "no") - is there a supplier for just the coil struts on an MS?

All four of mine need replacement, and the SC quoted $1000 per corner. These appear to have Bilstein part number, but also seem unobtainable.

No?

Contact Bilstein directly. They are located in Poway, CA, a suburb of San Diego, CA, about 1/2 hour from my house.
I've had good communication with Bilstein in the past.
I bought my Model S two weeks ago, and I noticed it had Bilstein on all four corners. I am new to MS, but I am assuming that these are not the OEM stock shocks/struts?
Also, in the past, Bilstein has a lifetime warranty, if you have the receipt in your name.
To clarify your question, you need four new "strut and coil combo" for all four corners?
I am curious how you make out with contacting Bilstein.

Contact Bilstein directly. They are located in Poway, CA, a suburb of San Diego, CA, about 1/2 hour from my house.
I bought my Model S two weeks ago, and I noticed it had Bilstein on all four corners. I am new to MS, but I am assuming that these are not the OEM stock shocks/struts?
Also, in the past, Bilstein has a lifetime warranty, if you have the receipt in your name.
To clarify your question, you need four new "strut and coil combo" for all four corners?
I am curious how you make out with contacting Bilstein.

Bilstein is the OEM supplier of struts to Tesla.

• Helpful
Reactions: SSedan

I'll try that and report back. Just surprised no one else has (as mentioned by @Cheburaska, Bilstein is the OEM). I found part numbers on pictures of used struts on eBay; can't quite make out mine but the ones on eBay seem consistent at least.

For our info, reply with the part numbers

I want to double-check what I found on eBay with my car first, and it seems they change in 2016 fwiw.

But even before that, I wonder how much success I will have in getting the struts changed outside of Tesla service? Are the alignment specs available?

I would really like to pay $2k rather than the $4k or so that the SC quoted, but it's obviously moot if I can't find someone to install them.

Reactions: xhawk101
There are several Tesla dismantelers that could supply you with slightly used shocks off wrecks and buy backs. Would be much less expensive than buying new ones from Tesla.

For the quality Bilsteins that Tesla uses as an OEM, the $1,000 per corner is not a bad price, especially if includes installation and alignment check.

These dismantlers may also be a great source for you as far as other wear items that need refreshing on your high mileage Tesla. Brakes, brake pads, struts, suspension bearings and parts.

these Dismantelers may also be able to put you in contact with reasonable installation places near you.

I replaced my struts in an ICE car before. As in any DIY job, first time is a bitch, but after that, it is easy.
If you replace them as a unit, and don't have to mess with the spring, a much easier job.
I have not investigated strut replacement in a MS. Maybe two people are needed for your first try at it.

Here's the alignment specs. I paid $200 at Firestone for "lifetime" alignment. On my previous ICE car, this lifetime alignment deal easily paid for itself.

Attachments

• Alignment.jpg
    Alignment.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 194
My front right strut on my 2015 MS is rattling after only 55K miles. I have an extended warranty but it excludes struts as "wear and tear" items.

I called Bilstein and they were not helpful at all. Guy wouldn't tell me which struts Tesla puts on new vehicles (that would be proprietary and not a standard part number). And he wouldn't give me a part number because they "dont sell struts for that model vehicle."

Anyone else surprised that a strut only lasted 55K miles?

Tesla seems to have a lock on strut replacement. Or has anyone had luck getting aftermarket struts from somewhere else? $1000 per corner is ridiculous.

The real issue is that I have an extended warranty (MCU died so that pays for it right there) and they are saying it's not covered because "shock absorbers" are not covered. I pointed out the difference between shock absorbers and struts to my advisor, and I'm waiting to hear back from the service manager.

I want to double-check what I found on eBay with my car first, and it seems they change in 2016 fwiw.

But even before that, I wonder how much success I will have in getting the struts changed outside of Tesla service? Are the alignment specs available?

I would really like to pay $2k rather than the $4k or so that the SC quoted, but it's obviously moot if I can't find someone to install them.
Did you happen to have those part numbers?

My front right strut on my 2015 MS is rattling after only 55K miles. I have an extended warranty but it excludes struts as "wear and tear" items.

I called Bilstein and they were not helpful at all. Guy wouldn't tell me which struts Tesla puts on new vehicles (that would be proprietary and not a standard part number). And he wouldn't give me a part number because they "dont sell struts for that model vehicle."

Anyone else surprised that a strut only lasted 55K miles?

Tesla seems to have a lock on strut replacement. Or has anyone had luck getting aftermarket struts from somewhere else? $1000 per corner is ridiculous.
Hello wondering if you ever got yours repaired ? have the same issue on a 2013 model S with 250000 miles getting "d $4200 for all 4 shocks and struts.