Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Source for OBD cable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I planned to install an OBD scanner and use the Scan My Tesla app to do a little monitoring on the car, but my cable from Ideafab is MIA. I ordered it on the 28th and it has had a tracking number since the 29th, but the package hasn't even gotten to the post office. Ideafab has ignored my two emails. I am planning to do a chargeback and find a cable somewhere else. I'm planning to order this one: Tesla CAN Diagnostic Cable (2012-15 version) – Crimped OBD-II – Maxwell Automotive Technologies My car was delivered March 2015 delivery, BTW. Any other recommendations?

Just reversed the charge on my credit card for the cable from Ideafab and ordered one from Maxwell. Ideafab ignored 3 emails from me, including the last one saying I would be disputing the charge with my credit card company if they did not reply. Guessing they have gone belly up.

J
Just reversed the charge on my credit card for the cable from Ideafab and ordered one from Maxwell. Ideafab ignored 3 emails from me, including the last one saying I would be disputing the charge with my credit card company if they did not reply. Guessing they have gone belly up.
I ordered from Maxwell on Nov 7 and just got an email with tracking number say it's shipped. So looks like Maxwell are the way to go....

It was from a PM from another user who said he started having connectivity issues with the MX+ on his Tesla whereas the standard MX was still connecting reliably. This may be an isolated case, but there wasn't much reason to go with the MX+ anyway.

gpstrackingamerica.com sells the cables for the following prices:

Model S for $16 (2012 to current, 2 different cables depending on year)
Model X for $16
Model 3 2018 for $30
Model 3 2019 for $30

Shipping is $10

Thanks for the links. I need another cable since a Tesla tech cut my first link cable and kept the Tesla connector end when he came out to my house to replace the steering gear bolts. He was nice enough, though, to tuck the remaining cable back into place so I wouldn't immediately notice his vandalism.

Last edited:
My Maxwell cable came in on Friday and I installed it and my OBDLink MX on Sunday afternoon. Works great. On my car (3/2015 delivery P85D) I just removed the passenger side "hockey stick" shaped trim from the side of the center console and pulled out the connector. I was able just squeeze the OBDLink module between the trim and console, maybe with a single clip not fastened.

Reactions: Gr8pursuit