Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(Source - this forum) Model S Glitches, Quirks, and Peccadilloes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
David is developing a MO where he says "I'm a fan, I have a reservation..." and he then proceeds to write an article that cherry picks problems (and uses unattributed quotes) to make Model S look awful. If I read that article and didn't know better I doubt that I would take delivery right now. The article leads me to actually doubt that he has a reservation at all.

Tesla Model S: Glitches, Quirks, and Peccadilloes Roundup

Just one comment, directed at one person: David Noland, you've written numerous articles on Tesla using this forum as your source each time. Besides TAKING information on a regular basis, how 'bout you step up and actually contribute to the community?

Agreed, Bonnie. But maybe we can wait for David to actually take delivery of his Model S...although not actually owning a Tesla hasn't stopped a lot of others from contributing. :biggrin:

We have a lot of non-Tesla reservation holders/owners on the forum who contribute on a regular basis. I'm just really annoyed by an article that exclusively uses a forum as the source for all information.

Seriously? What's to stop HIM from posting here and then quoting himself?

Two words: Puppet show.

I doubt that we ought to expect that any journalist will only say nice things about our favorite car. The issues David raised have been real and noting them in a public way helps to insure their correction. His list of problems could have been MUCH longer. You'll note that he didn't discuss the lack of rear seat headroom, doors that won't open, weird warnings about replacing the 12 v battery, leather wear on the driver's side pillar, etc.

Don't get me wrong! I LOVE THIS CAR, but as early adopters, we expected some problems and we got a few.

I can't imagine driving anything else, but I can't fathom expecting a journalist to report only one side of a topic.

I doubt that we ought to expect that any journalist will only say nice things about our favorite car. The issues David raised have been real and noting them in a public way helps to insure their correction. His list of problems could have been MUCH longer. You'll note that he didn't discuss the lack of rear seat headroom, doors that won't open, weird warnings about replacing the 12 v battery, leather wear on the driver's side pillar, etc.
Don't get me wrong! I LOVE THIS CAR, but as early adopters, we expected some problems and we got a few.

I can't imagine driving anything else, but I can't fathom expecting a journalist to report only one side of a topic.

It isn't that he is pointing out flaws. He is using peoples comments here, without notifying them, without attributing comments to them, without their permission. And using it to produce work he is supposedly getting compensation for. It isn't the content but how the content was gathered. I decided to change my signature because this seems to be happening more often.

Not that it will do anything. :frown:

Feel free to contact the editor of the website. I did the last time he published one of these lazy articles but didn't do much. He actually did even less than his last article. I wonder if he even has a reservation.

The wonderful world of Google Journalism. Once upon a time this sort of journalism would be unacceptable. Instead of just posting rewritten comments from a forum or blog, the author would contact the original author, interview them personally, then conduct fact checking to verify their claims. Sadly more and more this is a thing of the past.

Tesla Model S: Glitches, Quirks, and Peccadilloes Roundup

Just one comment, directed at one person: David Noland, you've written numerous articles on Tesla using this forum as your source each time. Besides TAKING information on a regular basis, how 'bout you step up and actually contribute to the community?

It appears he used the official Tesla forum for this article. At least he provided on global link to the Model S section on the official forums then just a bunch of random quotes with no links.

Found this:
Can I Quote You? Public Domain and Internet Forums, Bulletin Boards, etc.

Last edited:
It appears he used the official Tesla forum for this article. At least he provided on global link to the Model S section on the official forums then just a bunch of random quotes with no links.
It seems odd to me that Noland would use direct quotes and not attribute them to their authors. I suppose it's possible he did contact them? At least he became informed about the subject, and didn't just write an ignorant error-filled hit piece like so many others have.​

It seems odd to me that Noland would use direct quotes and not attribute them to their authors. I suppose it's possible he did contact them? At least he became informed about the subject, and didn't just write an ignorant error-filled hit piece like so many others have.​

I still don't think there is a way to PM someone on the official Tesla forum. After people complained here to the editor, my guess is he figured he'd move over there where he has the excuse that he has no way to contact them unlike here. He still could have used their screen names which he did in a prior article using posts from here. He's knowingly doing this so just lazy journalism is my guess. I don't know him but I know his editor e-mailed him about this sort of thing the last time but they seem to think there is nothing wrong with lifting quotes from forums without contacting people as we didn't do the real 'work' like their journalists did.

I still don't think there is a way to PM someone on the official Tesla forum. After people complained here to the editor, my guess is he figured he'd move over there where he has the excuse that he has no way to contact them unlike here. He still could have used their screen names which he did in a prior article using posts from here. He's knowingly doing this so just lazy journalism is my guess. I don't know him but I know his editor e-mailed him about this sort of thing the last time but they seem to think there is nothing wrong with lifting quotes from forums without contacting people as we didn't do the real 'work' like their journalists did.

Simple enough, even without knowing how to contact people. A simple post along the lines of, "Hey, I'm writing an article about owner's experience. Please contact me at [xxx] if you'd like to share your experiences."

THAT would be responsible.