Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(Source - this forum) Model S Glitches, Quirks, and Peccadilloes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You all sure are touchy. Nolan summarized more than once that in general, the majority of owners are very, very happy. And the issues he talked about are real.

These comments aren't about one article, nor about the accuracy. It's about a growing number of articles (some by David Noland, some not) relying on internet forums for all their fact gathering. Journalistic integrity would not put a forum as a primary source (much less the sole source).

By the estimates on this forum, we represent perhaps 10 percent of the Tesla owner population. The "problems" Nolan writes about appear to be totally drawn from this site. And it's very likely that we are not a random sample of owners. So what Nolan is doing is taking a small sample of owner anecdotes and presenting them as if they represent something of significance. I would call that very bad research. I wouldn't survive in my profession operating that way.

What really bothers me about that article (and the others that he's written using info from this forum) is that he doesn't ever seem interested in writing the article about how much people love this car. I've seen HUNDREDS of posts about how great the Model S drives, how the electric drivetrain is worlds better than even the best ICEs, and how many people are having great delivery experiences.

How about a little coverage of the amazing parts of the Model S?

Oh, and I don't buy the "I'm a reservationist too so it's okay that I engage in a little Model S bashing in the media," crap. The stuff he's writing about simply isn't newsworthy because they're all glitches that Tesla has either resolved (sunroof sticking issue) or working on resolving.

"David Noland, he might have something interesting to say but you might have to kick him in the nuts daily to keep him from raping people"

See what fun you can have with words like "might" that can't be disproven?

By the estimates on this forum, we represent perhaps 10 percent of the Tesla owner population. The "problems" Nolan writes about appear to be totally drawn from this site. And it's very likely that we are not a random sample of owners. So what Nolan is doing is taking a small sample of owner anecdotes and presenting them as if they represent something of significance.

Correct. And not to belittle anyone's issues but it's also fair to say that the majority of us have had nothing to complain about WRT the car.

OMG, this is such a waste of bandwidth. I would expect everyone to be aware that what you post in the public domain is .... PUBLIC. Who cares whether or not some other individual likes the car or not, or quotes good or bad with it etc.... He is allowed to write an article, or a blog, on any topic he wants and quote generalities obtained from public forums, especially if many people who post on these forums use anonymous monikers.

I have had my Model S for just over two weeks now.
Current issues: incomplete paint armor (they missed some key parts of the car - pending reparations), no rear child seats installed (despite already paying for them), no parcel shelf (pending), no J1772 adapter on delivery (now rectified), a nose cone with the license plate holder attached (when I requested none - pending replacement), mysterious door openings (as reported in the article ... pending repair ???) and most recently, a stress fracture of my windshield !!!!!!! (pending replacement). It is like buying the first iphone, we are all going to be guinea pigs and have to deal with it. I still love my Model S and know that at some point, all of these things will be fixed. I also know, that like the iphone introductions, there will be glitches and they will be reported, or over-reported by the cynical... using whatever sources they like.

My suggestion: enjoy the vehicle you have gone out on a limb to 'test' and purchase and ignore those who aren't as risky, adventurous or guinea'ish. We have an awesome car and we should appreciate this forum is helpful to all we owners, at the very least, if others want to cherry pick stuff from it ... then so be it. I will still enjoy my Model S, I don't care what anyone has to say about it. But I'd lke to think we can all use this forum for what it was intended, to share the good, bad and novel.

Given my experience with traditional press, I'm not sure that's desirable either. It's only marginally better than the hit piece relying upon our (unattributed) contributions here.

I was joking of course. He's the guy who takes quotes from forums and now doesn't even bother to quote the username of the person he pulled it from, let alone provide a link to the post.

I've had this conversation with a few on the forum. I'm a fan of a single concise list of every problem reported on the forum which includes the number of times it has been reported (by different people), the time period over which it has occurred and the ultimate solution. Most found this approach to be a condensed source of anti Tesla ammunition (which it would very well have been).

Sunlight is the best disinfectant. Sure, there are people that will cherry pick the info to their purposes but then there is FOX and MSNBC who basically do the same. Operating to manage the lowest common denominator reduces the dialog to that level.

I'm a fan of a single concise list of every problem reported on the forum which includes the number of times it has been reported (by different people), the time period over which it has occurred and the ultimate solution.
What you're describing is a bug tracking system. I suspect there are some free options for this, but I've never gone digging (never had a need).

These days there's better tools that also manage the interaction of a crowd with the error logs, allow prioritization, etc
Uservoice and GetSatisfaction are better tools for this than a plain issue tracker.
Also we may want a stackoverflow / stackexchange instance for tesla;which is an amazing Q&A platform for well-bound topics.

I you are not familiar with either of these I recommend googling them and lurking trough some example areas.

I tend to like these but some folks prefer the thread mode of discussion lists in one site which is more old school but tends to allow better community cohesion.

X1188. Sorry if this is terse, sent from my phone.