TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Source VIN vs. Actual VIN

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Tomx17, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Tomx17

Tomx17 Member

I have a few questions. I just found my source VIN. Is my source VIN 100% going to be my actual VIN?

Also, after having your VIN populate on the source view, how long does it take for your actual VIN to appear on the Management / Overview page on the official website?

2. Skitt

Skitt Member

I got my VIN a week ago in source. Still isn't on the website though.

3. skydreamerjae

skydreamerjae Goldmember

99% going to be your VIN. I've seen people get different VINs because the VIN they were assigned was sold to somebody else.

• Helpful x 2
  4. Tomx17

Tomx17 Member

Sweet, thanks home boi!

5. coconutboy84

coconutboy84 Member

Same. Vin in source for a week now. Waiting on real vin to show up. Delivery is 8 days from now!

6. Tomx17

Tomx17 Member

Ah, good to know. I just want this car asap!!

You have delivery scheduled?! Animal! Happy for you!

• Like x 1
  7. boriszima

boriszima Member

almost certainly but there were couple owners who jumped gun, did their paperwork with a source VIN only to find out their actual VIN was different. So it could happen.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. Tomx17

Tomx17 Member

Ok sweet, thanks for the heads up. I won't be that guy!

9. neurocutie

neurocutie Member

So is this the case even if your SA gives you the same VIN as you find in the Source? (though its not on the Manage page yet)

10. boriszima

boriszima Member

I am not sure, if SA says so must be true. If you can wait I would wait until shows up on the page. Good luck and congrats on soon to be owner of awesome car.

11. TydalForce

TydalForce Member

My VIN appeared in source on the 1st, and I got a text to schedule delivery on the 2nd. Delivery is on the 18th. My VIN still hasn't appeared on my Manage page, but I got a screenshot with it from my SA and it's in the MVPA.

I needed it to get my 3rd party loan going, so I used it -- I figure if it changes, I'll just let them know.

• Helpful x 1
  12. jjrandorin

jjrandorin Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums

On the thread topic, to me its pretty simple....

Tesla never "intended" people to be "digging through browser source code" to get their vin. Its likely it wont change, but there is no recourse if it does. If a SA gives it to you, its different, but "digging through the source code to get a vin" should be viewed as just checking how far along you are in the process, not the vin being "gospel".

Its the car tesla has internally assigned to you, but that doesnt mean it wont change. Plan accordingly.

13. Skitt

Skitt Member

Got mine from my SA a week ago still haven't heard anything about delivery and haven't had a single email response since.

14. rfalias

rfalias Member

If you have a VIN in source, ask for your MVPA. That's the real official document you need. My VIN showed up on the site finally and I pick up the 16th.

• Like x 1
  15. jjrandorin

jjrandorin Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums

Unfortunately thats pretty normal as far as tesla goes. It may not show up until less than 7 days before your delivery date in your account.. AND tesla will "tell" you when your delivery appointment is, not ask... thats also unfortunately the way they operate for this stuff.

16. marco33

marco33 Member

Mine showed up about 11 days after first showing up in source. 6 days before scheduled appointment.

17. StealthPenguin

Your VIN can change. Got one in source and advisor confirmed it. However, it just changed in source yesterday.