Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sourcing interior light fixture

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What happened? Is it missing or just one of the clips broke? If a clip broke just run a loop or two of black electrical tape around the edges and put it back up, it'll hold perfectly. I broke mine putting in the LED, the LED runs cooler so no worry about melting the tape or anything like that. Besides the tape is on the edges, not the top where the heat is most.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Broken clip when putting in LED :)
But it has also been very "loose" in switching between modes, so I guess the previous owner has been a bit hard with it or something.

Good tip about tape, but I found a cheap Elise light on ebay. It looked identical on the pictures so I bought it, so I'll see if it fits, if not then I go the tape route.

Broken clip when putting in LED :)
But it has also been very "loose" in switching between modes, so I guess the previous owner has been a bit hard with it or something.

Good tip about tape, but I found a cheap Elise light on ebay. It looked identical on the pictures so I bought it, so I'll see if it fits, if not then I go the tape route.

The Elise / S2 version does appear to be the one as seen in the pic below. It appears its used in other cars too:
Lotus Exige / Elise courtesy light: donor car?

101327d1226483635-wtb-interior-lamp-lotus-elise-elise_int-light.jpg

Broke the clips on the connector side of mine this evening putting in an LED bulb. I went through the same thought process of "oh crap, I bet Tesla doesn't have replacements!" and then later "oh wait, I bet this is a Lotus part". A little Google Image Search and I found my hunch was correct. lotuspartsonline.com has them for $67.53 plus shipping. eliseparts.com has them for £52.62 plus shipping.

BTW, this is the bulb I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYEZPFC/ I got the 3000K but they also come in a higher color temp (they don't indicate the color temperature but it looks like daylight white). I prefer 3000K for nighttime illumination. I hunted around for a while and this is the brightest wedge-based bulb that will still fit in the fixture. I use them in my landscape lighting and they've been great.

Now let's see if I can upgrade the weak trunk light with a nice LED bulb without breaking that fixture, too...

Now let's see if I can upgrade the weak trunk light with a nice LED bulb without breaking that fixture, too...

That bulb is far easier to replace. I have done so twice using 41mm LED festoon bulbs. Though, a 39mm would fit better as the 41mm I installed didn't go in too easily.

Also, check the clear plastic cover for warping. Those incandescent bulbs get really hot causing the plastic cover to droop and sometimes holes to burn in the black housing.

Reactions: hcsharp