Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sourcing materials and sustainability of the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am willing to pay for sustainability. Would even go as far as saying the car isn't an "EV" but is more of a "SV" (Sustainable Vehicle). I buy into that package if there was one offered which stated that all materials were produced or sourced from sustainable methods. How much I would pay is another question which would depend on the amount of features. If it was less than 2K I could see my wife approving that in a heartbeat.

Here's to cleaning up the aluminium production mess ...

Canada: Orbite Aluminae Inc’s patented red mud neutralisation treatment
August 02, 2012

Montreal-based Orbite Aluminae Inc has developed a patented process for treating so-called 'red mud', the most significant waste product of the Bayer process for aluminium production.

The new process is claimed to be 'the only ecologically sound and commercially viable alternative to manage and eliminate these toxic residues,' according to the company.

In 2011, alumina producers generated over 100Mt of 'red mud' but only about 5% was re-used. The rest is stored in ponds and reservoirs and poses 'significant environmental risks'.

When a retaining dyke in Hungary ruptured in October 2010, a flood of the toxic 'red mud' escaped causing an ecological disaster. Other nations, such as India, China, Canada and Brazil, have all experienced problems with red mud spills and, with the problem so serious, many countries now oppose the development of new mining and production facilities.

Orbite's process converts red mud into a dry, inert and environmentally neutral residue that is less than 90% the volume of its original state. The process can reclaim high value products from the red mud, such as alumina (which can make up to 25% of red mud) but also ultra pure hematite and magnesium oxide. Hematite gives 'red mud' its red colour.

The plan now is for Orbite to license its technology to producers interested in reducing their environmental footprint and their risk of contamination. As Orbite points out, it's all about 'reducing operating costs and growing their revenues'.

Mercedes and BMW use hemp in door and dashboard components. I guess hemp is too expensive to use while it still must be grown outside the US. It would be great if Tesla started to offer more green materials such as hemp and flax for their base interiors or recycled PET for their interior carpets.

Hi Dan, Very interesting thread and I do hope that Tesla listens up. When I was ordering my Tesla, my rep told me a story about a customer that wanted a p85 but didn't want leather. That wasn't an option. As a vegan, I felt bad for that person. Speaking of being vegan.... With your dedication to have as little of a carbon footprint as possible and to be as environmentally friendly as possible, I'd assume you've already adapted a vegan diet, right? 7 BIG ways to reduce your carbon footprint - EcoStreet
Why Vegetarian Is The New Prius (Earth Day 2011) Powered By Produce
Fossil fuels, meat consumption and the environment

While I could never go vegetarian, I certainly WOULD like a Tesla WITHOUT leather seats. I'm hoping leather is truly optional in the Gen III and not something that boosts the price of an option that I want. That's something I hated in so many other cars. In order to get some options that I really wanted - like a nav system - they'd bundle it with leather to knock the price up another $1000. It's one reason I haven't bought a truly 'new' car in a long time.

Hi Dan, Very interesting thread and I do hope that Tesla listens up. When I was ordering my Tesla, my rep told me a story about a customer that wanted a p85 but didn't want leather. That wasn't an option. As a vegan, I felt bad for that person. Speaking of being vegan.... With your dedication to have as little of a carbon footprint as possible and to be as environmentally friendly as possible, I'd assume you've already adapted a vegan diet, right? 7 BIG ways to reduce your carbon footprint - EcoStreet
Why Vegetarian Is The New Prius (Earth Day 2011) Powered By Produce
Fossil fuels, meat consumption and the environment

Hi, I've been a Vegan for 14+ years now. Aversion to leather is one of the reasons I did not get a signature Model S.