Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

South Australian EV Subsidy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone with experience with the SA Government EV Subsidy?

I'm looking to clarify whether the $3000 EV subsidy would apply to a Tesla I'm considering purchasing.

The SA Government website states:
"A $3,000 subsidy is available for 7,000 new battery electric and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles valued below $68,750 (including GST) registered in South Australia from 28 October 2021."

On the Tesla site, they are showing:
Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive $65,500
Pearl White Paint Included
19’’ Sport Wheels $2,200
All Black Partial Premium Interior Included
Autopilot Included
30-Day Premium Connectivity Trial Included
Delivery Fee $1,375
Order fee $350

Vehicle Subtotal $69,425

and suggesting that the SA subsidy would not be paid (as $69,425 is > $68,750), however they have included the Delivery Fee – which I believe is incorrect and is not included in the amount on which stamp duty is based, which would bring the stamp duty value of the car down to $68,050 which would still qualify?

Can anyone confirm my understanding? I've also emailed the SA Government..

Anyone with experience with the SA Government EV Subsidy?

I'm looking to clarify whether the $3000 EV subsidy would apply to a Tesla I'm considering purchasing.

The SA Government website states:
"A $3,000 subsidy is available for 7,000 new battery electric and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles valued below $68,750 (including GST) registered in South Australia from 28 October 2021."

On the Tesla site, they are showing:
Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive $65,500
Pearl White Paint Included
19’’ Sport Wheels $2,200
All Black Partial Premium Interior Included
Autopilot Included
30-Day Premium Connectivity Trial Included
Delivery Fee $1,375
Order fee $350

Vehicle Subtotal $69,425

and suggesting that the SA subsidy would not be paid (as $69,425 is > $68,750), however they have included the Delivery Fee – which I believe is incorrect and is not included in the amount on which stamp duty is based, which would bring the stamp duty value of the car down to $68,050 which would still qualify?

Can anyone confirm my understanding? I've also emailed the SA Government..
The Tesla site automatically calculates it for you in the price so if the subsidy isn't there it would mean it wouldn't qualify.

Last edited:
Thanks guys - the Tesla site isn't including the rebate, but they ARE including the Delivery fee and the Order Fee in the total for Stamp Duty purposes - which is incorrect. The SA Gov site suggests the rebate should be payable on a Model 3 + sports wheels - based on the delivery fee not being included for Stamp Duty purposes.

Per my example above - Tesla calculates the total vehicle price as $69,425 - which wouldn't quality for the subsidy - but they've included the delivery fee ($1375) and order fee ($350) in the total. Without these, the total is $67,700 - which WOULD qualify...

Thanks guys - the Tesla site isn't including the rebate, but they ARE including the Delivery fee and the Order Fee in the total for Stamp Duty purposes - which is incorrect. The SA Gov site suggests the rebate should be payable on a Model 3 + sports wheels - based on the delivery fee not being included for Stamp Duty purposes.

Per my example above - Tesla calculates the total vehicle price as $69,425 - which wouldn't quality for the subsidy - but they've included the delivery fee ($1375) and order fee ($350) in the total. Without these, the total is $67,700
the SA gov site says duty is payable on the retail or list price inc gst. The list price includes deliver delivery as you do not have a choice. You cannot buy model 3 without that manufacturer cost. Its only seperated to try and convince buyers cars are cheaper.

Has any successfully submitted a rebate for SA? I'm in process of applying but it's asking for a copy of the executed contract of sale. All i have is the invoice and rego papers from Tesla. Is the invoice sufficient?
Hi @DudeWhereMyCar

I'm going through this now too. My final invoice still shows an amount owing, although clearly I've paid and received my car. Do you have an updated final invoice on your account that says amount owing is $0? Cheers

Hi @DudeWhereMyCar

I'm going through this now too. My final invoice still shows an amount owing, although clearly I've paid and received my car. Do you have an updated final invoice on your account that says amount owing is $0? Cheers
Sorry been away and havent been on this forum. I just submitted the invoice as is with the rego papers. I guess if there is any problems, they will reach out. Yet to receive the rebate and been 2 weeks. Any idea what the turnaround time for rebates is?

Sorry been away and havent been on this forum. I just submitted the invoice as is with the rego papers. I guess if there is any problems, they will reach out. Yet to receive the rebate and been 2 weeks. Any idea what the turnaround time for rebates is?
No problems, I haven't heard anything since submitting either. @thegreenguy , do you have any idea of time to get the rebate? Cheers