Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

South Carolina delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just dealing with this situation currently...what.a.nightmare!

Matthews SC never told me that since my tags were with 60 days of renewal that I need to pay the property taxes. My temp tags are set to expire on 11/23 so went and paid at my local county tax office (a whopping sum of $1171). Matthews SC is rushing the process through but offered to send me a loaner if it goes past the expiry of temp tags. I was told to put on my existing tags from old car and hold a copy of the paid tax bill on those tags and if I am pulled over to notify the cop that my registration in the process of transferring.

Again, what a nightmare. Lack of communication and onboarding has been absolutely lackluster experience so far. Plus my car whistles with the wind noise and they made it worse after a "repair."

Just dealing with this situation currently...what.a.nightmare!

Matthews SC never told me that since my tags were with 60 days of renewal that I need to pay the property taxes. My temp tags are set to expire on 11/23 so went and paid at my local county tax office (a whopping sum of $1171). Matthews SC is rushing the process through but offered to send me a loaner if it goes past the expiry of temp tags. I was told to put on my existing tags from old car and hold a copy of the paid tax bill on those tags and if I am pulled over to notify the cop that my registration in the process of transferring.

Again, what a nightmare. Lack of communication and onboarding has been absolutely lackluster experience so far. Plus my car whistles with the wind noise and they made it worse after a "repair."
Did you not receive an email from the Matthews service center with all of this spelled out? It clearly stated no taxes were taken by Tesla and that you would owe SC the sales tax and property taxes. If you didn't get that email that's a big bummer bc I def got one that answered a lot of "FAQ's" like that.

Did you not receive an email from the Matthews service center with all of this spelled out? It clearly stated no taxes were taken by Tesla and that you would owe SC the sales tax and property taxes. If you didn't get that email that's a big bummer bc I def got one that answered a lot of "FAQ's" like that.
No email. They handed me a paper that was probably written by a kindergartener. If transferring tags, previously paid property tx bill, picture of license plate and insurance card. Handed them the next day after taking delivery. The guy at Matthews SC tells me this morning the hold up is because you didn't pay property tax! I'm like **** you we have been talking for weeks and you never brought this up once...

No email. They handed me a paper that was probably written by a kindergartener. If transferring tags, previously paid property tx bill, picture of license plate and insurance card. Handed them the next day after taking delivery. The guy at Matthews SC tells me this morning the hold up is because you didn't pay property tax! I'm like **** you we have been talking for weeks and you never brought this up once...
Yeah that sucks for sure. I always just get new tags instead of trying to transfer old tags as I've found it to be easier and less of a hassle.

FYI. 11 days after taking delivery in Savannah, I received my registration paperwork from Tesla yesterday. Today I went to register my Model Y LR (MSM White Int Ind wheels) and want to share my process in Beaufort County. First, I went to the county auditor/treasury office to pay my county property taxes (proof of which is required to register). I presented the bill of sale provided by Tesla, my DL and showed her a picture of my wife’s DL. Cost: about $830. Then I headed over to the DMV office. About a 45 minute wait, and I’m asked for all my documentation. Tesla had provided everything I needed, including the South Carolina registration application form (already completed by Tesla - nice!). “Sales tax” included, registration and plate cost: $670. If you deduct waiting time at both locations, the process takes around 20 minutes max. Total cost: about $1500.

Worst process and people at Matthews NC in handling this. I plan to take time out of my day on Friday to rip them a new one.

Also have complained to Tesla Corporate...
I have sympathy for the Charlotte SC as it is really Tesla's fault they don't have more SC open. Charlotte is entirely overwhelmed and is over capacity. Doesn't help it is illegal to open a service center in South Carolina but they could open more in GA or NC.

Reactions: theothertom
Hello, Were you able to select a delivery location? Or did Tesla assigned it for you? Charlotte is the closest Service based on my address, but today I was talking to a nice lady about her Tesla and her buying experience and she told me Tesla sent her to GA which it was not the closest location for her. Thank you

Hello, Were you able to select a delivery location? Or did Tesla assigned it for you? Charlotte is the closest Service based on my address, but today I was talking to a nice lady about her Tesla and her buying experience and she told me Tesla sent her to GA which it was not the closest location for her. Thank you
When I took delivery of my M3, Matthews was the closest service center and the only practical option, so assigned by Tesla. But now that Savannah’s open, you should be able to choose to have your vehicle delivered to either Matthews or Savannah, whichever is closest for you.

Reactions: GigaBot
It's around 100 miles from my house to the Charlotte service center, and 100 to one of the Atlanta service centers. Tesla gave me a choice when I ordered my car online. I called later to check on a few things and the Charlotte rep that I spoke to gave me the same choices. Savannah wasn't open then, but I suppose you could pick Savannah now if you want to. IMO, Tesla doesn't care. They just need to know where to ship the car.

It's around 100 miles from my house to the Charlotte service center, and 100 to one of the Atlanta service centers. Tesla gave me a choice when I ordered my car online. I called later to check on a few things and the Charlotte rep that I spoke to gave me the same choices. Savannah wasn't open then, but I suppose you could pick Savannah now if you want to. IMO, Tesla doesn't care. They just need to know where to ship the car.
Thank you for the insight

Just registered my MY today, There were three other Model Ys at the DMV doing the same. I transferred an existing tag and the total cost was $535 (taxes and transfer) Tesla send the DMV forms already filled out, was a very quick and straightforward process.

Awesome thanks! The $500 sales tax cap in South Carolina is obviously way less than any other state for sales tax so wanted to make sure I wasn't getting hit with NC since I will have to pick up in Charlotte. I am already planning on around $1,000 in property taxes here in Greenville County based on ~$50k sales price.
Hi Jeremy - I just joined here as I'm looking to buy a Model 3 for use here in South Carolina as well (and I'm brand new to South Carolina as well). I keep hearing wildly different information about how much the property taxes are here. If it were $1000, I'd actually be happy, but I keep hearing wildly high numbers. Would you mind sharing what your property tax on a $50K Tesla ended up being (before I commit to buying one!). Did you find they were extra expensive to insure here as well? Thanks!

Hi Jeremy - I just joined here as I'm looking to buy a Model 3 for use here in South Carolina as well (and I'm brand new to South Carolina as well). I keep hearing wildly different information about how much the property taxes are here. If it were $1000, I'd actually be happy, but I keep hearing wildly high numbers. Would you mind sharing what your property tax on a $50K Tesla ended up being (before I commit to buying one!). Did you find they were extra expensive to insure here as well? Thanks!
Progressive has the best rates for Tesla I’ve found. Used to have Geico but they were astronomically high for a Tesla.

Property taxes vary by county but I can’t imagine it’ll be more than $1,000. I think mine was like $700 or so. There’s an every other year $120 EV road fee also.