Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

South Carolina delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all - totally new. Just rec'd my VIN and have uploaded insurance - I'm waiting to hear back from my rep in regards to payment as we are financed through our credit union. The purchase agreement reflects a tax added to the total but I'm unsure if that is the sales tax for my state or something else. We are a self register state - so we will be going to the DMV to transfer tags etc... ourselves. My question is this - and with the very few numbers of people I've encountered in this state with a Tesla.... I'm hoping someone on here may know the answer.... at delivery - we will be taking our check from the bank to the dealership and they will be handling that - the rep said it was a much better idea than mailing it - however - are there any out of pocket expenses I should prepare for? I understand the tax, tag, and title are not rolled in to the price as Tesla is not a dealership. But what is the tax reflected and added to the purchase price on my agreement and do I pay whatever is due for sales tax and registration etc... at pick up or when I register? Hopefully someone in here has done this in SC. Thanks in advance!

(moderator note: Welcome to TMC. I edited your thread title, because here on TMC, the "SC" initials normally mean "Service center" not "south carolina" which is what it appears you ment. I also moved your thread to the regional sub forum for that area, as hopefully someone in that subforum will have information that helps you.

Pre congratulations on your purchase!)

I bought my MS two years ago in Charlotte but live in South Carolina. When I picked up my car, I only paid for the car and whatever applicable fees. I didn’t pay sales tax until I was back home. I had to pay that at the county tax commissioners office before I could register it. Was a minor hassle since I tried to register first and had to drive all over but was able to do it in the new car, so didn’t really mind as much.

I believe that the original purchase agreement mentioned tax, but on the final paperwork, that was gone.

Hope you enjoy the car as much as I have!

I bought my MS two years ago in Charlotte but live in South Carolina. When I picked up my car, I only paid for the car and whatever applicable fees. I didn’t pay sales tax until I was back home. I had to pay that at the county tax commissioners office before I could register it. Was a minor hassle since I tried to register first and had to drive all over but was able to do it in the new car, so didn’t really mind as much.

I believe that the original purchase agreement mentioned tax, but on the final paperwork, that was gone.

Hope you enjoy the car as much as I have!
OP, congrats on your purchase, you will love the car! Just one note of clarification. It isn‘t that that Tesla can’t handle the taxes and paperwork etc because they aren’t a dealership. The reason you must handle those items yourself after the purchase is because the state government of South Carolina makes it illegal for Tesla to do business directly in the state. Tesla sells and services it’s vehicles directly, not through franchised dealers. South Carolina is one of a handful of states still keeping Tesla from doing business as they wish, thus making it far more inconvenient for South Carolina residents to purchase and service a Tesla vehicle. Note that South Carolina does not keep you from paying taxes on a Tesla, they are happy to take your money, they simply make it less convenient. This is because the franchised dealer lobby is extremely powerful in South Carolina. If you want this to change, please take the time to email your state congressman and Senator about this issue and ask them to change the law in South Carolina so that Tesla and other auto manufacturers who have NEVER used franchised dealers can legally sell and service vehicles in South Carolina.

Reactions: ChrisC
We live in South Carolina and purchased our model 3 last Oct. in Charlotte. We took a check for the full amount as shown our purchase order which included the $1200 "delivery fee" but did not include taxes.
The bill of sale showed up in my account soon thereafter which I printed out and took to our county's office to pay property tax.
Make sure you get a receipt for the property tax because you'll need that at registration.
Tesla farms out the registration info to a third party and they (the third party) will send you the info you need to register the car. They will also enter the manufacturer's certificate or some such into the SCDMV's system so that when you show up with your paperwork (don't forget the property tax receipt), they can find you in the system.
The temp tag we got at delivery (yeah, a NC temp tag) was good for 30 days and it took almost 30 days to get the paperwork from the third party. I called Tesla in CLT several times and they were nice, but their hands were tied since it's a third party that handles the paperwork. They did offer to send a new temp tag if my original one expired before the third party did their thing.

Reactions: Jimmer
OP, congrats on your purchase, you will love the car! Just one note of clarification. It isn‘t that that Tesla can’t handle the taxes and paperwork etc because they aren’t a dealership. The reason you must handle those items yourself after the purchase is because the state government of South Carolina makes it illegal for Tesla to do business directly in the state. Tesla sells and services it’s vehicles directly, not through franchised dealers. South Carolina is one of a handful of states still keeping Tesla from doing business as they wish, thus making it far more inconvenient for South Carolina residents to purchase and service a Tesla vehicle. Note that South Carolina does not keep you from paying taxes on a Tesla, they are happy to take your money, they simply make it less convenient. This is because the franchised dealer lobby is extremely powerful in South Carolina. If you want this to change, please take the time to email your state congressman and Senator about this issue and ask them to change the law in South Carolina so that Tesla and other auto manufacturers who have NEVER used franchised dealers can legally sell and service vehicles in South Carolina.
Excellent point about changing the law. I also sent a letter to my state congressman but never heard a thing back at the time. Got to keep plugging at them.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
The sales tax is included in the MVPA from Tesla for South Carolina, which is $500.00 and is collected at the time of purchase. You should also receive a Certificate of Origin included with your registration packet, which must be turn in at the DMV along with your property tax receipt. Both of my previous packets took about 3 weeks to receive.

It gets even more confusing if you *lease* your Tesla in South Carolina, rather than financing or purchase. I took delivery of my M3 in Matthews nearly six weeks ago and paid the county property tax, but have yet to receive any permanent tag or title. I'm on my second dealer tag from Matthews. The Matthews SC people try to help, but as someone else pointed out, they're at the mercy of some mysterious third party to see the process through. Very frustrating.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
Ughh, this kind of headache hopefully doesn't diminish my excitement in picking up my MYP. I will definitely need someone's help here to understand the process through and through. My down payment on my lease figures now show $500 but I recently sold my car which has registration through Dec 2021 so plan to plop that on to avoid property taxes when I get the car. Will just need to fill out some sort of form to let DMV know that the car's plate is now tied to a new car. Is that the case? That's what SCDMV told me

Ughh, this kind of headache hopefully doesn't diminish my excitement in picking up my MYP. I will definitely need someone's help here to understand the process through and through. My down payment on my lease figures now show $500 but I recently sold my car which has registration through Dec 2021 so plan to plop that on to avoid property taxes when I get the car. Will just need to fill out some sort of form to let DMV know that the car's plate is now tied to a new car. Is that the case? That's what SCDMV told me
I thought, too, it would just be a matter of switching the vehicle attached to the plate I had on my leased BMW. But the Matthews SA claimed that most people did a whole new plate/registration for their new leased Tesla and went on about using an existing plate and insurance coverage, yada yada. So I went with the new reg, and am still waiting (now nearly eight weeks after taking delivery) for the South Carolina plate and reg. In hindsight, I'd have done what you suggest....just switching the registration to a new vehicle. But you will enjoy your Tesla!

The sales tax is included in the MVPA from Tesla for South Carolina, which is $500.00 and is collected at the time of purchase. You should also receive a Certificate of Origin included with your registration packet, which must be turn in at the DMV along with your property tax receipt. Both of my previous packets took about 3 weeks to receive.

So $500 sales tax is part of the purchase price (i.e. loan) and the local county property tax is paid by me when I register the vehicle with the DMV? And just to make sure I won't get hit with any NC taxes as I'm not registering the vehicle in NC correct?

Last edited:
So $500 sales tax is part of the purchase price (i.e. loan) and the local county property tax is paid by me when I register the vehicle with the DMV? And just to make sure I won't get hit with any NC taxes as I'm not registering the vehicle in NC correct?
Mostly Correct
In my county property tax is paid at the county offices which are separate from the DMV. I then took that receipt to the DMV to register the car. No NC taxes.

Mostly Correct
In my county property tax is paid at the county offices which are separate from the DMV. I then took that receipt to the DMV to register the car. No NC taxes.

Awesome thanks! The $500 sales tax cap in South Carolina is obviously way less than any other state for sales tax so wanted to make sure I wasn't getting hit with NC since I will have to pick up in Charlotte. I am already planning on around $1,000 in property taxes here in Greenville County based on ~$50k sales price.

You're paying taxes in the state of where the car is being registered...

For property taxes that makes sense as that is where the vehicle physically resides. I was unclear as to how the sales tax worked as I am buying the vehicle physically in NC. One would think that is no different than if I bought an iPhone at the local Best Buy in Charlotte...I would pay NC sales tax. However, it appears it is different so I appreciate the clarity from everyone.

For property taxes that makes sense as that is where the vehicle physically resides. I was unclear as to how the sales tax worked as I am buying the vehicle physically in NC. One would think that is no different than if I bought an iPhone at the local Best Buy in Charlotte...I would pay NC sales tax. However, it appears it is different so I appreciate the clarity from everyone.
I've bought cars in NC (Tesla) and GA (not-Tesla). In each case I was residing in South Carolina and the sales taxes were South Carolina taxes. I think it is a special case, because you are right that this doesn't apply to most (all?) other purchases.

I've heard that this varies in some other states, but I'm not aware of the details.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
So buying an iPhone is completely different from a car but I have bought/leased cars out of state (GA & NC) and I paid SC taxes.

Reactions: Jeremy3292