Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

South Florida FPL Electric Vehicle Contact/Representative

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Group,

Do we have a reliable FPL contact who can assist with Electric Vehicle charger infrastructure issues, specifically at multi-unit dwellings such as condos?

Some background:

Have been working with Evercharge and Chargepoint for the last 4 months on installing outdoor charging stations at my condo complex in Broward County. I'm in the process of putting together a proposal for our board of directors. After some initial enthusiasm at the possible use of underground cabling used for light poles, it now looks like we will need to install a new transformer near a parking common area. The underground light pole cabling is unfortunately unusable for car charging. Note that light poles that typically use 400 W bulbs are wired with smaller gage wire that is too thin to support the typical Level 2 40/50 amp electric car charging circuit. The FPL representative will assist with the transformer installation. Understand that FPL is not cooperative in installing new meters for electric car charging use only.

Any assistance or information is greatly appreciated.

Stefan Pantu, PGA

Understand that FPL is not cooperative in installing new meters for electric car charging use only.

Stefan Pantu, PGA

Hi Stefan,

Welcome to the forums.

(FL Rev. Stat. §27-366.94)
Passed into law in 2012, Chapter 27-366.94 is amended to specify that provision of electric vehicle charging to the public by a nonutility is not considered a retail sale of electricity. In addition rates, terms and services of electric vehicle charging services are not subject to regulation by the Florida Public Service Commission.

In the past prior to this law there may have been some resistance to installing separate meters for condo owners usage, because an argument could have been made that it was the sale of electricity by a nonutility. The law quoted above clearly invalidates such an argument.

FPL shouldn't be able to legally refuse a reasonable request to install a separate meter to monitor a condo owner's electric car's usage. Hopefully, you won't have to hire a lawyer to convince them.

Here's an FPL document on the general topic.

Getting Apartments and Condos Ready for Plug-in Electric Vehicle Charging

It clearly states "– Bill users precisely for usage – through smart charging equipment or metering devices" as one possible approach.

It also provides a couple of FPL email address for assistance.

Larry

Last edited:
Group,

Do we have a reliable FPL contact who can assist with Electric Vehicle charger infrastructure issues, specifically at multi-unit dwellings such as condos?

Some background:

Have been working with Evercharge and Chargepoint for the last 4 months on installing outdoor charging stations at my condo complex in Broward County. I'm in the process of putting together a proposal for our board of directors. After some initial enthusiasm at the possible use of underground cabling used for light poles, it now looks like we will need to install a new transformer near a parking common area. The underground light pole cabling is unfortunately unusable for car charging. Note that light poles that typically use 400 W bulbs are wired with smaller gage wire that is too thin to support the typical Level 2 40/50 amp electric car charging circuit. The FPL representative will assist with the transformer installation. Understand that FPL is not cooperative in installing new meters for electric car charging use only.

Stefan Pantu, PGA
Good luck and don't get discouraged. I've been working for 22 months with Evercharge to get approval for charging stations in my condo's garage. After many stops and starts, our install date is estimated for the end of January! Finally!