Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

South Korea

Will a Tesla bought in the US work in South Korea?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the charger in the parking garage where my sister-in-law lives.
Apparently this company has a large network of charging stations, and I have a LOT to learn between now and our delivery date.
FEDB146B-769B-42F4-81CE-0ECDBF0B0861.jpeg 4A47886F-4AB5-4035-8702-2CB0FB942CDB.jpeg

Apparently this company has a large network of charging stations, and I have a LOT to learn between now and our delivery date.
View attachment 526602 View attachment 526603
That looks like a Type 1 or J1772 plug. Teslas come with either a proprietary socket for Nth American specification cars or a Type 2 socket for Teslas delivered almost anywhere else. You will need to purchase an adapter to use this charger although North American cars come with the J1772 adapter as standard.

View attachment 526602 View attachment 526603

You'll need to buy the J1772 to use that. They usually come with the car in America but they don't have them in Korea so you'll need to order from the states. I took delivery of mine in February here in Korea.

You'll need to buy the J1772 to use that. They usually come with the car in America but they don't have them in Korea so you'll need to order from the states. I took delivery of mine in February here in Korea.

Sandman, Are you SOFA?
Did you take delivery in Korea? If so, do you expect some problems importing thr car to thr US?

I'm looking to buy a new car, but I worry that if I buy a model 3 in Korea that's customs would try to restrict or make me pay money.

In the past people would be blocked from importing cars because the build standard was different, because catalytic converters were different, because some places have lead gas, or 1000x other reasons. Did you verify that there would be no problems importing back into the US?

Sandman, Are you SOFA?
Did you take delivery in Korea? If so, do you expect some problems importing thr car to thr US?

I'm looking to buy a new car, but I worry that if I buy a model 3 in Korea that's customs would try to restrict or make me pay money.

In the past people would be blocked from importing cars because the build standard was different, because catalytic converters were different, because some places have lead gas, or 1000x other reasons. Did you verify that there would be no problems importing back into the US?

My bad just seeing this now. Not SOFA, just an American who moved here last year. I never considered importing it back to the states. I plan to be here around 5 - 7 years minimum, at which point I figured I'd worry about shipping it back or just selling it locally.

Hi, everyone.

I'm almost on the same boat with Tina C. I will eventually move to S.Korea with SOFA status as well (haven't had a final offer yet though)
I purchased my car in Nov 2018, and still have a warranty until Oct 2022. I thought the warranty would be voided but thanks to Tina C.!!! I am so happy to hear that SOFA status would prevent that.

can't wait to move there.

Thanks for all the information.

This will be my first electric car and with the international move and the pandemic I haven’t had the time to research things as well as I’d like.
The 3 should have with the same plug as North America spec EVs, yeah?

I will have to check the charging station in the car park under our building to see if I need an adapter. The building also offers 220 outlets on every pillar on every parking level but you’re required to buy a metered cable that allows them to charge you for the usage. That’s perfectly acceptable, unfortunately the near $500 cost of the cable is not. :-(

I will also need a 110 adapter as I will have access to free outlets on base.

Now that we’re allowed to travel a bit we will be visiting the showroom to speak with them in person this weekend.

We must be in the same batch. We got the call last week that our Model 3 would arrive in Korea in June. There were several possible delivery dates, but as my wife and I debated when we should pick it up during the call with our contact person, the other delivery dates dried up and we were stuck with June 24th. We’ll be going to get it in Suwon at the showroom there.
I’m wondering if we need to preorder an adaptor as well. We have a supercharger a block away, but we also have a charger in our parking garage which you can see in the image below. I guess we’ll give our got another call so we can be sure to be ready when the day comes.

We’re also going to get a ceramic coating on ours—we found a place that does wraps and paint coating over in Gimpo called Wrapstyle. We’ll probably drive straight from the Tesla shop to get it coated actually. I’ve waited fourteen years to drive in Korea, I guess I can wait another day.

Received a call last night. We have a VIN and a pick up date of 13 June.
I still plan on visiting the showroom this weekend to ask about ordering a 5-20 adapter and some other things with our referral credit.

Stoked!

We’re also taking delivery in Suwon. Maybe later this summer we can have a Korean/American Tesla meet-up. :)

I ordered a 5-20 adapter, it will arrive at relatives’ house tomorrow then they’re going to ship it here. Our commander warned me that all the outlets in the parking lot on base probably don’t work, but they would call maintenance folks to fix a few if needed. I wonder if they’ll let me claim a spot...

I showed the Tesla rep a photo of the charging station, they said there’s an included adapter that will work with it. this is going to be an adventure for sure.

We’re going to wrap ours as soon as our other car arrives and the shop has an open slot. I ordered black specificity to wrap it after my experiences with a wrapped car that was white.

Can you bring some Carolina pulled pork BBQ with you?

Our LR AWD 3 with tax, title, and license cost less than the MSRP of the same car in America, even with the recent price drop. You have to be a Korean citizen or here on a visa (not SOFA) to take advantage of the incentives though.

Do SOFA registered electric cars get the reduced toll rate?

Can you bring some Carolina pulled pork BBQ with you?

Our LR AWD 3 with tax, title, and license cost less than the MSRP of the same car in America, even with the recent price drop. You have to be a Korean citizen or here on a visa (not SOFA) to take advantage of the incentives though.

Do SOFA registered electric cars get the reduced toll rate?

That's something that i did not know. I also thought of purchasing M3 or MY at Korea with the incentive. Sad that I won't be eligible.
According to Tina C., SOFA EV does get blue plate. That's unfortunate.

That's something that i did not know. I also thought of purchasing M3 or MY at Korea with the incentive. Sad that I won't be eligible.
According to Tina C., SOFA EV does get blue plate. That's unfortunate.

Even most visas won’t make you eligible for the incentive—only F4 or F5 I believe. I am under a marriage visa and couldn’t get it myself so we were forced to put the car under my wife’s name, even though she can’t drive it. That then required that she be insured so we are paying for insurance for two. Still, we saved money with the incentive, just not as much.