Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

South Korea

Will a Tesla bought in the US work in South Korea?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I too will be stationed in Humpreys around August this year, if all goes accordingly. I will be taking delivery of a model Y by end of June or early July and plan to ship it to S. Korea as soon as I can so that I can have it to use there.

Could any of you there now please do me and future owners, headed that way from the US, a favor by contacting the Tesla service center there and confirm if those of us under the SOFA status will get service and update support? The posts by Tina early in this thread was over a year ago and she hasn't replied to any inquiries since. It would be really helpful to know if Tesla Korea has officially started supporting SOFA status owners. I don't want to lose my warranty shipping it there and back when my tour is over.

I've tried to get info about this from several Tesla contacts here in the US, but so far have not received a legit answer. Just guessing and quoting of the standard policy prohibiting importing of Teslas resulting in voided warranty and no support of any kind.

I talked to Tina C. in email. She gave me a brief detail of her experience. However, the biggest huddle for me is... NO FUXXing Tesla employees answering my phone calls and emails!!! I am getting order pretty soon, and I should try to approach them more aggressively.

Also, I am still not sure if they 'OFFICIALLY' support SOFA status owners. Still have not heard any confirmed msg from either side.

It seems like many of you are at Korea driving Tesla. Great to hear!

I have joined Korean Tesla Owners Club since 2018, and it's been very helpful understanding of Tesla in Korean culture.

Right now because of free SC and idle fee, too many owners have abused SC (i.e., leaving the car for the overnight). Because of that, the most recent update finally included the statement of pay-per-use SC policy (+ updated website regarding this).

My speculation: Once pay-per-use policy becomes active, many owners will start using Chademo adapters instead of going to SC (CHADEMO will be cheaper theoretically). Since Korea removed almost all European plugs, folks from US will take advantage of this.

Reactions: New_Old_Stock
With a charger in the bottom level of the car park at our place, and the nearest SC a 20 minute drive, I don’t see us using it much even if it stayed free. The level 2 charger juices the car fully overnight and only costs $2-3 each time.

That seems ridiculously cheap. We’ve only charged once in our parking garage (we’re a block away from a supercharger) but we paid about ₩4,000 to charge it about 40%. Still cheap, but not as cheap as you describe.

Just purchased Chamemo Adapter today. It is one of the most important adapters to bring into Korea with Tesla.

woot woot!

Where from and how much?
I thought about getting one because we do have a Chademo charger in our parking garage, but so far it hasn’t seemed necessary when traveling. I’m sure eventually it will start to feel limiting though so if like to get one eventually.

That seems ridiculously cheap. We’ve only charged once in our parking garage (we’re a block away from a supercharger) but we paid about ₩4,000 to charge it about 40%. Still cheap, but not as cheap as you describe.

Starting July 2020, South Korea government heavily increased the charging fee of the EV. Some of them were tripled lol. I don't see how this makes people leaning toward EV instead of cheap hybrid cars.

Where from and how much?
I thought about getting one because we do have a Chademo charger in our parking garage, but so far it hasn’t seemed necessary when traveling. I’m sure eventually it will start to feel limiting though so if like to get one eventually.

I purchased Chademo from tesla.com ($450 + tax). I know that Chademo adapter is the best back-up charging tool in Korea since too many M3 are at SC.

My apartment garage has this, can i use it to charge? If so what do i need and how long it take to charge? Korean spec btw

Attachments

• 28ECC699-2FE0-428E-B9DA-F628A4348800.jpeg
    28ECC699-2FE0-428E-B9DA-F628A4348800.jpeg
    267.2 KB · Views: 87
My apartment garage has this, can i use it to charge? If so what do i need and how long it take to charge? Korean spec btw

If your apt. management allows you to use it, it should work. The charging cable you need is provided when you purchase a Tesla.

Not sure of the exact charging time—I’ve only charged with a wall charger once and I just left it overnight. I’m going to guess it is at least ten (or more) hours for a full charge. Shouldn’t be a problem if you just want to keep it topped off each night though.