Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

South Korea

Will a Tesla bought in the US work in South Korea?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered Model 3 LR white with black interior. Oh man what have I done.. The wait begins. Expected to Delivery Nov-Dec.

Test drove the Model 3 today and although I was going to buy the car anyways, made me love it even more.

Apparently the subsidy is easy to get as long as you can prove that you will live in country for 2+ years. I'll try my best to get it and let y'all know.

Dont know what A2 visa is but they didnt put a period of sojourn date on my ARC or resident form and i dont wanna go back to try to get it on there. Cause my visa there is no expiration for me If you can get them to print it on the ARC you might be good. But im not even sure thats the end. I think u might have to have lived here so a certain amount of time, and i think they only give out so many subsidies depending on your location?

bannedgoose, I think I'm in the exact same situation as you are... A-2 visa, arrived three weeks ago, will be here until 2023. What all do you recommend I do in order to be eligible for the subsidy? I haven't received the ARC yet.

I think those eligible for the subsidies would be Koreans, permanent residents and then marriage spouses. You definitely need the ARC card and maybe show your business employment contract.

Just applied for the ARC today... I asked the lady to put the beginning date (14 Aug 20) and the end date (31 Aug 23) on the card so we'll see how it goes.

The other concern is bringing a Tesla back to the US. Someone told me that Korean spec cars tend to have different windshields, drivetrains, etc. which wouldn't be allowed in the US without modification. Anyone know what the specification difference there is between a Korean Tesla and a US Tesla?

You can definitely ship back to US, however the tax will hit you pretty hard unless you move back with the military/DoD status (in this case, you will get it for free shipping).
As long as US tesla service center changes the MCU with the US spec, it should be fine.
I am DoD status. Who can I confirm about this? It's not something I need to worry about for another 2.5 years tho.

Theres a white model 3 at humphreys I see awaiting to be shipped. Whoever drives the car can you please message me?

It could be a US 3 headed back. I've talked to 2 Tesla owners that were waiting for their US Tesla to arrive. Again, I hope I am wrong about the shipping but I want hard proof before I believe it. I've seen this happen with US made cars sold in Europe and they weren't allowed back in the US...