Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

South Korea

Will a Tesla bought in the US work in South Korea?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just applied for the ARC today... I asked the lady to put the beginning date (14 Aug 20) and the end date (31 Aug 23) on the card so we'll see how it goes.

The other concern is bringing a Tesla back to the US. Someone told me that Korean spec cars tend to have different windshields, drivetrains, etc. which wouldn't be allowed in the US without modification. Anyone know what the specification difference there is between a Korean Tesla and a US Tesla?

They're the same cars made in the same California factory. Just Korean airbag, car info stickers in the frunk and different modem. I don't think they're going to allow you to bring it back cuz of the 25 year rule. Once a car, even an American made car leaves, can't come back until 25 years later. Thanks Mercedes.

That Model 3 going back is probably a US one.

Reactions: New_Old_Stock
They're the same cars made in the same California factory. Just Korean airbag, car info stickers in the frunk and different modem. I don't think they're going to allow you to bring it back cuz of the 25 year rule. Once a car, even an American made car leaves, can't come back until 25 years later. Thanks Mercedes.

That Model 3 going back is probably a US one.
Maybe for the ordinary citizen. Most people here I think are under SOFA.

I still dont know the clear answer or who to talk to about buying a Korean Spec, then having shipped backed to US under SOFA status.

I received a phone call today the car I ordered is already in Korea and I am able to take delivery.

BUT, salesman said I will NOT receive the VAT, because it's already in Korea, which is around 3 million won. But if I wait until my original date of nov-dec I will receive the VAT discount because the car has not been passed through customs yet.

Also, he's confusing me about asking if I need to register through Korean DMV or under SOFA. From my understanding, I will still have to register the car through Korea, THEN register under SOFA. He's saying if it's only SOFA registration I don't have to pay the Korea registration fee. Know that I think about it. I should go ahead and pay the registration fee, because if I decide to sell it later to a local Korean citizen, they or I would have to pay that registration fee, so I have a bigger market to sell to.

I think if I decide to take delivery now, I won't receive the VAT discount. Someone please explain! Thank you.

I received a phone call today the car I ordered is already in Korea and I am able to take delivery.

BUT, salesman said I will NOT receive the VAT, because it's already in Korea, which is around 3 million won. But if I wait until my original date of nov-dec I will receive the VAT discount because the car has not been passed through customs yet.

Also, he's confusing me about asking if I need to register through Korean DMV or under SOFA. From my understanding, I will still have to register the car through Korea, THEN register under SOFA. He's saying if it's only SOFA registration I don't have to pay the Korea registration fee. Know that I think about it. I should go ahead and pay the registration fee, because if I decide to sell it later to a local Korean citizen, they or I would have to pay that registration fee, so I have a bigger market to sell to.

I think if I decide to take delivery now, I won't receive the VAT discount. Someone please explain! Thank you.
Working in Korea under SOFA changes NOTHING about importing a vehicle into the US.
A Korean spec Tesla cannot go back to the US till it’s 25 years old. Please, please, please prove me wrong.

This. I've had many buddies have to sell their RHD Skylines and Lancer Evolutions because of a PCS back to the States. Both active duty and contractors. Not immune from federal motor vehicle law.

They look exactly like Tesla 3 turn signals from USDM cars as far as I can tell. Not sure what you mean by "Tesla proprietary plug" though.
The "Tesla proprietary plug" is the one labeled "Supercharger" below.

Charge Ports.jpg

In various markets, different Tesla vehicles have charge ports that are like the ones labeled "Supercharger", "CCS", "Type 2", and "Tesla Roadster".

Can anyone please recommend a car wash in the Pyeongtaek area? Of course touchless.

To make sure it gets done right—and if you don’t mind doing it yourself, look into Wash Zone. It is a self-serve car wash chain. You can bring your own materials, though they also sell stuff there and you can also just choose to use the basic shampoo that is in each of their wash bays.

The "Tesla proprietary plug" is the one labeled "Supercharger" below.

View attachment 594617

In various markets, different Tesla vehicles have charge ports that are like the ones labeled "Supercharger", "CCS", "Type 2", and "Tesla Roadster".
Ah, CHARGING plug. That was lumped in with turn signal talk so I was confused. Our Tesla is a 2020 so it has the same charge port as USDM Teslas (I think). We have to use an adapter with the 3rd party charge station in our car park, and only one of the five Supercharger stations in Gangneung had the correct plug type for us. Thankfully that station was free when we turned up.

I’ll get a photo of our Tesla 3 port and the 3rd party charger after work. All these different plug types confuse the hell out of me TBH.

Last edited: