Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

South Korea

Will a Tesla bought in the US work in South Korea?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my US spec Model 3 in Korea right now. It works, but not perfectly. Map shows, but no navigation. I haven’t been getting updates. No LTE connection because of SIM card & modem. I can supercharge, trickle charge off of 110 outlet, & charge w/ J1772. ChaDeMo & CCS1 chargers are common but no adapter available for my car. We’re American military so my car is only temporarily here with SOFA status. If I were Korean or more permanently here, I would want a Korean spec Tesla so all features would work.

I have my US spec Model 3 in Korea right now. It works, but not perfectly. Map shows, but no navigation. I haven’t been getting updates. No LTE connection because of SIM card & modem. I can supercharge, trickle charge off of 110 outlet, & charge w/ J1772. ChaDeMo & CCS1 chargers are common but no adapter available for my car. We’re American military so my car is only temporarily here with SOFA status. If I were Korean or more permanently here, I would want a Korean spec Tesla so all features would work.

Hey Tina, I am a Civilian looking to get back to Korea at the end of the year. How hard was it to bring the car over? Did Telsa US say anything?

Just to let you know, I went to the Tesla showroom in Gangnam in Oct 2018 and asked about what would still be covered if I brought it over. They said they could change the LTE and nav so that it would work, never said anything about no updates anymore though and not sure if it would be in Korean lol. They said the warranties would be void (both bumper to bumper and battery), but said that it would be no more than $2,000 to fix? Not sure I believe the quote lol. And one of them said that the superchargers in Korea will be changed to the US version, but that sounds like it already has happened.

Tesla Korea is changing the charging plug from the European to the US version. They began altering the charging infrastructure late last year. They are replacing half of the chargers with the US connectors. All the existing cars will have to use the old European style, while new cars use the US ones. In 2020, there will be US type only, at which time all Tesla vehicles have got to be serviced to replace the port.

Tesla's destination chargers could also be used by the Samsung SM3 (aka Renault Fluence).
photo_2019-03-20_22-55-47.jpg

The charger on the right is European, the one one on the left is US.
Here's a closeup of the charger on the left.
photo_2019-03-20_22-55-59.jpg

Yes everywhere I’ve seen has had both, but I haven’t been to too many places that were strictly destination chargers. Usually at the superchargers I’ve been the only one using the US port. But last weekend there were 5 cars using/waiting for the 3 US ports. The 3 EU spots were empty. The tide is shifting in Korea.

Hey Tina, I am a Civilian looking to get back to Korea at the end of the year.

Tesla Engineering initially said they could convert my SIM card to a Korean one, but then came back and said it’s not possible because the modem in the 3 isn’t compatible. I know they are able to do it for the S & X. For most civilians, bringing your car out of market will Void your warranty. My warranty is NOT Void because of protections of the SOFA (Status Of Forces Agreement). If you are a DoD Civ with SOFA status then your warranty would be protected too. After much negotiation I am now receiving software updates. If a physical part breaks on my car, the service center wouldn’t be able to help me until the Model 3 is sold in Korea & they are trained. Expecting that to be quarter 4 2019.

I’m temporarily in Korea so the inconvenience of my car being a little gimpy out of market is temporary, so worth it to me. If I were to be here longer term, or didn’t have SOFA status, then I would just wait for a Korean spec one.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
Tesla Engineering initially said they could convert my SIM card to a Korean one, but then came back and said it’s not possible because the modem in the 3 isn’t compatible. I know they are able to do it for the S & X. For most civilians, bringing your car out of market will Void your warranty. My warranty is NOT Void because of protections of the SOFA (Status Of Forces Agreement). If you are a DoD Civ with SOFA status then your warranty would be protected too. After much negotiation I am now receiving software updates. If a physical part breaks on my car, the service center wouldn’t be able to help me until the Model 3 is sold in Korea & they are trained. Expecting that to be quarter 4 2019.

I’m temporarily in Korea so the inconvenience of my car being a little gimpy out of market is temporary, so worth it to me. If I were to be here longer term, or didn’t have SOFA status, then I would just wait for a Korean spec one.

Tina,
Thanks for the info! Yes I would be under SOFA as well. Everyone employed by USFK or 8A or 7AF or which ever service and their dependents are covered under SOFA status. That is great news. I didn't know SOFA can protect car warranties as well. I read an article not to long ago that a Service member was trying to sue Toyota because their brand new car needed a lot of work when they PCS'd to Germany but was declined warranty coverage. How did you negotiate the updates? With Tesla in the US or Korea? Also my biggest concern is shipping it and the thing dies. How did you accomplish that? lol did you charge up more at the VPC when you turned your car in?

Reactions: Tina C
It’s crap that companies try to void warranties on service members serving overseas. I had to talk to Tesla in US, customer service & Engineering, local service center wasn’t much help after I left. Then they connected me with Tesla Korea. Tesla Korea needed the OK from Tesla US.

I chose to drive my car to the LA VPC. They had familiarity with Teslas and I figured it would cut out the car carrier from Dallas and less sitting on a lot. I asked them to plug me in, but they didn’t. Car went to lot at port pretty quickly. I supercharged at Hawthorne, pretty close to VPC, so car was almost full. Transit time 48 days, and my battery was about 1/2 full. I turned off everything I could and kept my app closed until I picked up my car. I put my card key in a badge holder with my name on it with a key ring so they wouldn’t lose it.

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart and _knag
It’s crap that companies try to void warranties on service members serving overseas. I had to talk to Tesla in US, customer service & Engineering, local service center wasn’t much help after I left. Then they connected me with Tesla Korea. Tesla Korea needed the OK from Tesla US.

I chose to drive my car to the LA VPC. They had familiarity with Teslas and I figured it would cut out the car carrier from Dallas and less sitting on a lot. I asked them to plug me in, but they didn’t. Car went to lot at port pretty quickly. I supercharged at Hawthorne, pretty close to VPC, so car was almost full. Transit time 48 days, and my battery was about 1/2 full. I turned off everything I could and kept my app closed until I picked up my car. I put my card key in a badge holder with my name on it with a key ring so they wouldn’t lose it.

You can take the car to a different VPC? I may have to do a road trip over to the LA VPC instead of the Baltimore one. It also gives me an excuse to do a cross country trip haha. But I see that a supercharger is projected to be built closer to BWI. I just don't know if they are familiar with Teslas on this side when the time comes I will contact them. Sucks that they didn't plug it in..

I just came back from a trip to Seoul and asked Tesla Korea what would happen if the car is dead at the port. They said to call my insurance company and they will get a tow truck for me...I didn't want to explain that the car is not even registered at that point and I wouldn't have any insurance.

I may just sell the Tesla and get a ICE for now. There are a lot of complications while trying to bring this car to Korea..When I come back after my tour I will most likely get the Model Y.

You can take the car to a different VPC? I may have to do a road trip over to the LA VPC instead of the Baltimore one. It also gives me an excuse to do a cross country trip haha. But I see that a supercharger is projected to be built closer to BWI. I just don't know if they are familiar with Teslas on this side when the time comes I will contact them. Sucks that they didn't plug it in..

I just came back from a trip to Seoul and asked Tesla Korea what would happen if the car is dead at the port. They said to call my insurance company and they will get a tow truck for me...I didn't want to explain that the car is not even registered at that point and I wouldn't have any insurance.

I may just sell the Tesla and get a ICE for now. There are a lot of complications while trying to bring this car to Korea..When I come back after my tour I will most likely get the Model Y.

I think you’re car would have to be registered in the US to ship it with the VPC. Definitely has to be insured. I would call the Baltimore VPC & ask the timeframe for shipping. I had 1/2 my battery after 45 days. You can choose a different VPC and as long as shipping cost is same or less you don’t have to pay extra. To Korea, LA would be cheaper than Baltimore. Don't get reimbursed for the drive.

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart

Brought my Model 3 from Texas with full charge last July. Received it by September with 3/4 battery life left. Not bad. But, lately I’m noticing that battery looses power much more during our Wiinter weather here. I believe the car is self-regulating the temperature. So my advice is to make sure your battery is fully charged.

GPS does not work in the car, but I Korean GPS apps like Naver and Kakao Maps and even Waze work better here anyway because of the Korean addresses (written in Hangeul for most part).

Tesla Superchargers are nonexistent in Pyeongtaek but many are in Seoul and a couple in Cheonan-si. They are slowly but surely building more as more Tesla’s are sold in SK. Good news is that regular chargers (not Superchargers) are plenty. They have on on base at Camp Humphreys and many malls and coffee shops even in the countryside like Pyeongtaek-si.

Tesla Service Centers are still a concern. So far, I’ve only found two which is in Seoul. Quite far for me. Good thing my Model 3 inky needs charging and not regular maintenance. I do need them to look at my heater. That seems to be an issue for me. It is not heating fast enough because I do not have a charger at our condo. We requested a meter built by our landlord who was eager to help, but issue was power supply to the meter by the City. So talk to your landlord if that is possible for you before moving in. That will save you a lot of hassles in the long run.

Hello everyone. I have a question about SK spec Mod 3. I will be moving to SK in May 2020 and plan to buy a Mod 3. One of my concerns is whether or not English will be an option for display and navigation. Does anyone have any information on this?

Tina,
Can you please point me to the SOFA agreement section that pertains to US warrant protection?The heater on my Model 3 is not working and Tesla Service Center in Seoul would not fix it because they said the US warranty does not apply here. But if I can provide them documentation inline to what you stated, they will make an exception and possibly make it a rule for everyone else going forward. Thanks in advance for your help.

• Informative
Reactions: kaidou
If you live in the yongsan area you should be able to go to the super charger in Grand Hyatt Seoul they have 5 stations

If you go to the Grand Hyatt Seoul and if you live in the yongsan area you should be able to charge there if needed i will go investigate

We just arrived in country. Going to try to contact the delivery center to get a status update on our order. Originally they said mid April but now I’m concerned...

There are US 110 outlets in the parking lot of my office building on Camp Humphreys for electrics. Too bad they don’t enforce the “low emission vehicle parking only” signs. As soon as this C19 situation blows over we’ll be searching for a place to live with charging capabilities. Fingers crossed.

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart