Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 8th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Balazs Biro, of the prominent Hungarian EV channel Villanyautósok, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

South Mimms [supercharger parking]

M3noob

Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2019
Beyond the pale
Anyone else noticed increasing number of Tesla drivers parking outside of the South Mimms Supercharger area, in the public car park that backs onto the chargers, and charging from the wrong side?

Chaos today, because it becomes completely impossible to judge if a charger is free or not. Properly anti-social.

I've considered it... Never done it.

Maneuvering into the proper slots is a bitch as the two banks are just a mite close and with MXs being wide and driven by Lords of the Road that want to rub up against you

Reactions: icemankaka

M3noob

Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2019
Beyond the pale
Could also be the only option when non EV's are often found parked on the supercharger spots....its really quite pathetic.
South Mimms is often busy with Tesla traffic. I can't see Tesla pilots letting an ICE car park without heavy comment.

They'd be idiots, too, given the cramped charging area and acres of open spaces not a stone's throw away and much closer to the food and bev.

Billbrown1982

TM3 LR 2021 | Red | FSD
Dec 21, 2020
Basildon
South Mimms is often busy with Tesla traffic. I can't see Tesla pilots letting an ICE car park without heavy comment.

They'd be idiots, too, given the cramped charging area and acres of open spaces not a stone's throw away and much closer to the food and bev.

Oh I was generalising for sure, I've only been to south mimms myself once, although there was 2 ICE vehicles parked on stalls and no Tesla's to be seen (It was about 4am at the time)

Agreed I don't know why ANYONE would want to park that far away if they were not charging their car....but there you go.

Why the hell do people do this. it's "empty" at the lot right now (4 cars inside) but 2 arer charging on the wrong side.
2 weeks ago someone wantted to queue jump by charging on the wrong side. Back in where I come from we publicly name and shame those drivers (cars+plates, actually) on an open facebook group for those abusing the superchargers in most ways people do.

Billbrown1982

TM3 LR 2021 | Red | FSD
Dec 21, 2020
Basildon
Why the hell do people do this. it's "empty" at the lot right now (4 cars inside) but 2 arer charging on the wrong side.
2 weeks ago someone wantted to queue jump by charging on the wrong side. Back in where I come from we publicly name and shame those drivers (cars+plates, actually) on an open facebook group for those abusing the superchargers in most ways people do.

A lot of the time I think its down to lazyness or sheer incompetence of these drivers. They can't be bothered to or are just unable to drive their vehicle safely into the correctly marked bays, so they don't even try.

Same reason why you will find cars (often ubers) double parked adjacent to a space at the side of the road, with their hazards on, rather than just park in the bloody space and not block the road.

I absolutely agree, queue jumping is an absolute no.

But my experience with my first visit to South Mimms was that it is very confusing and I can believe that some do it unintentionally. To get there you have to follow signs that actually lead to to a building site and dead end(if that is still the case) and then once you arrive at the SC you have no clue where the cars are coming from. I somehow still haven't found a way to the SC without breaking there Highway Code and going the wrong way along the parking lot. Might just be me being an idiot.

If you are on the opposite side of the chargers is is not easy to see how to get in due to the one way system. I don't care anymore and just go the wrong way over the parking lot.

KennethS

Supporting Member
May 3, 2019
Herts, UK
I absolutely agree, queue jumping is an absolute no.

But my experience with my first visit to South Mimms was that it is very confusing and I can believe that some do it unintentionally. To get there you have to follow signs that actually lead to to a building site and dead end(if that is still the case) and then once you arrive at the SC you have no clue where the cars are coming from. I somehow still haven't found a way to the SC without breaking there Highway Code and going the wrong way along the parking lot. Might just be me being an idiot.

If you are on the opposite side of the chargers is is not easy to see how to get in due to the one way system. I don't care anymore and just go the wrong way over the parking lot.
My experience exactly.

and when someone reminds you so accordingly.... The chargers were only 4/12 the day i posted but people still feel compelled to charge on the wrong side after a reminder.

the last week had been better since the broken charger's been fixed. but the few weeks before that had been chaotic.

This SC site is so busy, often full and needs expansion, or change existing to V3.
There's planning permission granted this year to install 6 new Tritium chargers at the services and upgrade a substation for the new chargers, so why can't Tesla expand or upgrade?
Apparently the Welcome Break chargers require a power upgrade that's coming in January before they can be powered up. So yes - fingers crossed for South Mimms v3 upgrades....

Reactions: icemankaka

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC