Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

South of London Superchargers

Please vote if you think Tesla should soon open SCs south of Thames in London!

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn’t it high time Tesla has Superchargers South of the Thames in London? With more Model3s and the impending sale of Model Y, I am sure the number of Tesla owners on the south side is bound to grow. So Tesla should setup at least 2 supercharger centre, one somewhere southeast and one in the southwest. I read somewhere there might SC in Croydon but not sure.

Can we have one, or indeed ANY public chargers of any description, in Macclesfield? Currently, we have none whatsoever.

Also, in this survey, where is the “no” option? I mean I wouldn’t pick it, but it’s not much of a survey is all the answers are basically “yes’.

Can we have one, or indeed ANY public chargers of any description, in Macclesfield? Currently, we have none whatsoever.

Also, in this survey, where is the “no” option? I mean I wouldn’t pick it, but it’s not much of a survey is all the answers are basically “yes’.
Didn’t want to take No for an answer hence didn’t include it deliberately 😉

• Funny
Reactions: Durzel and Mr_Dave
Look at the supercharger map - the South East and London are littered with Superchargers. As usual, business / govt in the UK struggle to see the world outside of the South East bubble. North of England has far fewer chargers per population. These charging companies, Tesla included, need to peel their eternal gaze away from London and realise that there is an entire country out there. The South East has loads of chargers already, furthermore it has the best public transport in the country. I think any penny spent on infrastructure down there should be spent in every region of the UK at the same time by law, that would soon make the powers that be realise how much they neglect the rest of us.

Look at the supercharger map - the South East and London are littered with Superchargers. As usual, business / govt in the UK struggle to see the world outside of the South East bubble. North of England has far fewer chargers per population. These charging companies, Tesla included, need to peel their eternal gaze away from London and realise that there is an entire country out there. The South East has loads of chargers already, furthermore it has the best public transport in the country. I think any penny spent on infrastructure down there should be spent in every region of the UK at the same time by law, that would soon make the powers that be realise how much they neglect the rest of us.
Couldn't agree more!

Reactions: adsheff
well said, hence my flippant comment on post 2.

Maybe folks in the north should buy more Teslas ? Tesla will have data on all the cars and journeys take, but from TeslaFi's limited data set you can kind tell that chargers and #cars is correlated.

1635152373861.png

• Disagree
Reactions: adsheff and MrT3
There’s some dubious arguments here.

Isn’t the point of ‘where Tesla owners live’ irrelevant? Isn’t the right question where do they need to charge?
Exactly. I live in Cardiff. They just opened a supercharger here. It's no use at all to me - I need them up the country about 200 miles away. If you live south of London, you don't really need them South of London, you'd need them in the Midlands.

Exactly. I live in Cardiff. They just opened a supercharger here. It's no use at all to me - I need them up the country about 200 miles away. If you live south of London, you don't really need them South of London, you'd need them in the Midlands.
I'm not too far away. I wish they had some in west Wales. Pleased to see some planned for Devon and Cornwall on the map.

This. I was so thankful when they opened up the one in Leicester. Allowed me to avoid having to charge earlier than I needed to at south mims, or miss the charge and have the dreaded anxiety of not getting to my destination with enough charge. Finding the balance was difficult as someone new to EV's.

As much as I'd prefer to have a suc in SW (being from here), IMO it would be pretty pointless having one nearby to home where I can charge on my drive. The only scenario where having a suc nearby (as far as I can think of) is to facilitate those without home chargers who would rely heavily on public chargers or those who granny charge without a dedicated charger. There are a number of houses that don't have drives or guaranteed parking outside their houses (yes even after paying for a damn parking permit you weren't guaranteed parking on your own street!), and I very frequently get told "but I don't have a drive it won't be feasible/ convenient to own an EV without home charging and public chargers are unreliable". Having a suc nearby could be the turning point in converting these groups to EV, rather than going to Heathrow for example (which isn't exactly around the corner from here) every time you needed to charge up - we all know the gripes with other public chargers.

I wouldn't mind a suc nearby for 'convenience' but I doubt I would ever use it, but it would be one of those things that are 'nice to have' I suppose.

Reactions: GoHyperActive
In Japan they have laws which say you can't own a car unless you have somewhere to store it off the road. I think we need this here. That would solve the problem of 'where to charge'. It would also concentrate people's minds on making their authorities provide better alternatives to cars.

Reactions: imstitch
I know that a lot of people don't have a place for a car, but everywhere you go you see cars piled up all over the pavements, blocking roads, front gardens being paved over to fit 2,3,4 cars on them. The situation is clearly unsustainable and not good for the environment, electric or no. In London car ownership is lower because the alternatives to cars are so much better. All you need to do is provide people with safe, reliable alternatives and you'd be surprised how many people don't actually want to own cars. The advent of EVs was supposed to bring about a car sharing revolution, but so far this isn't happening as fast as I think it should.

I know that a lot of people don't have a place for a car, but everywhere you go you see cars piled up all over the pavements, blocking roads, front gardens being paved over to fit 2,3,4 cars on them. The situation is clearly unsustainable and not good for the environment, electric or no. In London car ownership is lower because the alternatives to cars are so much better. All you need to do is provide people with safe, reliable alternatives and you'd be surprised how many people don't actually want to own cars. The advent of EVs was supposed to bring about a car sharing revolution, but so far this isn't happening as fast as I think it should.
More cars, more roads, more runways, more railways, more tube lines - none of this is compatible with reducing the carbon dioxide emissions in the timeline that's required. What is possible is that we dramatically reduce the amount that we travel, and the past 18 months have shown how possible that is. This would be far more effective than any plans to change the ways we travel.