Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

south okanagan (BC) camping in a Model Y

duggadugga

Oct 15, 2020
central okanagan, bc
Hello, brand new MY owner checking in with my first post-ownership post! Super thrilled to finally join the club.

My significant other is super excited about the camping feature after I showed her on Youtube. In fact, she pretty much wants to do it right away, if only for a night. We are thinking either Osoyoos or Penticton on a warmish day/evening.

We will have a 3-year-old in tow.

Any thoughts on this? Where does one actually "camp"? At a regular RV / camping site? How close should we be to a charger? (I see no superchargers in the south Okanagan).

Are there any things to consider? Any essentials to pack that we might not think of?

Bspalteholz

Nov 27, 2018
Victoria, BC
Any campsite will work. I would recommend fully charging before you go, account for the drive there and back of course. When I camp in my model 3 at around 0degrees Celsius outside, I usually set the camp mode to about 18-19 degrees. Then I manually turn down the fan to setting 1 or 2 so it’s nice and quiet. That’s it. You can expect to use about 1-2% of the battery charge per hour, depending on temperature outside and your battery size. It will shut off at 20% so as long as you can get to a charger with that range it should be fine. Have fun! It’s really a great feature.

Casmium

Sep 14, 2018
Mississauga
if you get a camp site that has power, you can bring your charger and just plug in and not worry about the battery, you may need an adapter if it's a 30 amp connection, but most have a 120v outlet as well which is find if your staying long enough to add some range or at least maintain what you have when you got there.
TT-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3/Y Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters
and may want an air mattress

Biscuitman

Oct 22, 2019
Ottawa
Hello, brand new MY owner checking in with my first post-ownership post! Super thrilled to finally join the club.

My significant other is super excited about the camping feature after I showed her on Youtube. In fact, she pretty much wants to do it right away, if only for a night. We are thinking either Osoyoos or Penticton on a warmish day/evening.

Any thoughts on this? Where does one actually "camp"? At a regular RV / camping site? How close should we be to a charger? (I see no superchargers in the south Okanagan).

Are there any things to consider? Any essentials to pack that we might not think of?
Have fun... good luck with the 3 year old! That should be cozy;)

Reactions: Vawlkus

CFinVancouver

Jun 3, 2016
Vancouver
I read or saw a YouTube video saying you should avoid a 220v RV connection as they will charge you too much for the use of that type of connection. You are better off using a 110v connection just to maintain the climate control in the car overnight. You can always charge at a supercharger or level 2 charger elsewhere. I think with a near full charge you could manage to camp off the grid overnight as mentioned above.
There are plenty of Tesla destinations chargers at the wineries in the area (Oliver comes to mind).

randomcomment

Feb 24, 2021
Vancouver
Does anyone have recommendations of the types of plugs/adapters that would come in handy for camping trips? Any insight on the difference between BC campground hook-ups versus U.S. campgrounds would be appreciated too!

Reactions: duggadugga

duggadugga

Oct 15, 2020
central okanagan, bc
I read or saw a YouTube video saying you should avoid a 220v RV connection as they will charge you too much for the use of that type of connection. You are better off using a 110v connection just to maintain the climate control in the car overnight. You can always charge at a supercharger or level 2 charger elsewhere. I think with a near full charge you could manage to camp off the grid overnight as mentioned above.
There are plenty of Tesla destinations chargers at the wineries in the area (Oliver comes to mind).

Oh interesting, 110v is enough to keep the climate control from draining the battery?

Bspalteholz

Nov 27, 2018
Victoria, BC
Yes, 110V Is enough to stop your battery depleting with climate on overnight. Depending on temperature it will either charge very slowly or deplete a tiny bit but should stay pretty much the same.

Casmium

Sep 14, 2018
Mississauga
Most campground will have a regular 15 amp outlet, tt-30 outlet(120V 30 amp) or Nema 14-50, usually when you are booking the site it will tell you 15, 30, 50 amp service.

BJCanadaMax

Dec 28, 2020
Canada

How do you plan to pee and poop

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC