Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

south okanagan (BC) camping in a Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, brand new MY owner checking in with my first post-ownership post! Super thrilled to finally join the club.

My significant other is super excited about the camping feature after I showed her on Youtube. In fact, she pretty much wants to do it right away, if only for a night. We are thinking either Osoyoos or Penticton on a warmish day/evening.

We will have a 3-year-old in tow.

Any thoughts on this? Where does one actually "camp"? At a regular RV / camping site? How close should we be to a charger? (I see no superchargers in the south Okanagan).

Are there any things to consider? Any essentials to pack that we might not think of?

Any campsite will work. I would recommend fully charging before you go, account for the drive there and back of course. When I camp in my model 3 at around 0degrees Celsius outside, I usually set the camp mode to about 18-19 degrees. Then I manually turn down the fan to setting 1 or 2 so it’s nice and quiet. That’s it. You can expect to use about 1-2% of the battery charge per hour, depending on temperature outside and your battery size. It will shut off at 20% so as long as you can get to a charger with that range it should be fine. Have fun! It’s really a great feature.

if you get a camp site that has power, you can bring your charger and just plug in and not worry about the battery, you may need an adapter if it's a 30 amp connection, but most have a 120v outlet as well which is find if your staying long enough to add some range or at least maintain what you have when you got there.
TT-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3/Y Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters
and may want an air mattress

Hello, brand new MY owner checking in with my first post-ownership post! Super thrilled to finally join the club.

My significant other is super excited about the camping feature after I showed her on Youtube. In fact, she pretty much wants to do it right away, if only for a night. We are thinking either Osoyoos or Penticton on a warmish day/evening.

Any thoughts on this? Where does one actually "camp"? At a regular RV / camping site? How close should we be to a charger? (I see no superchargers in the south Okanagan).

Are there any things to consider? Any essentials to pack that we might not think of?
Have fun... good luck with the 3 year old! That should be cozy;)

Reactions: Vawlkus
I read or saw a YouTube video saying you should avoid a 220v RV connection as they will charge you too much for the use of that type of connection. You are better off using a 110v connection just to maintain the climate control in the car overnight. You can always charge at a supercharger or level 2 charger elsewhere. I think with a near full charge you could manage to camp off the grid overnight as mentioned above.
There are plenty of Tesla destinations chargers at the wineries in the area (Oliver comes to mind).

I read or saw a YouTube video saying you should avoid a 220v RV connection as they will charge you too much for the use of that type of connection. You are better off using a 110v connection just to maintain the climate control in the car overnight. You can always charge at a supercharger or level 2 charger elsewhere. I think with a near full charge you could manage to camp off the grid overnight as mentioned above.
There are plenty of Tesla destinations chargers at the wineries in the area (Oliver comes to mind).

Oh interesting, 110v is enough to keep the climate control from draining the battery?

How do you plan to pee and poop