Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

South Texas road trip - 8 Superchargers Visited

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
McAllen to Canyon Lake and back - miles 625 RT

SC’s visited
McAllen
Alice - NEW
Three Rivers
Schertz
New Braunfels - NEW
San Antonio
Three Rivers (again)
Corpus Christi- NEW
Kingsville

Power ranking #1- New Braunfels - Buc-ee's. This place has it all – just be careful walking across the parking lot to go inside! Lots of traffic in the parking lot.

IMG_0320.jpg

Buc-ee's in New Braunfels
n
The Why: South Texas is a wide open and rural place outside of the few big cities. There are still stretches where there is no gas available for 60 miles, much less EV charging. So becoming familiar with the chargers along the route can prevent extra stress if you are heading down to visit SpaceX at Boca Chica, South Padre Island or anywhere in the Rio Grande Valley.

SC’s generally located in busy shopping areas or routes along major highways. In general, both are less crowded in mornings rather than afternoons, and weekdays rather than weekends. Plan accordingly if possible.

You don’t have to stop at all of these – this was just an experiment. But more stops = short 10 min. charge stops (a plus!)

ERCOT summer system usage stress is real: most chargers were only putting out 72W of power or even less. Best charge was at Buc-ee's New Braunfels (brand new 250W, 24 stations, right by Interstate 35).

Least crowded SC’s were Alice and Kingsville (no surprise for towns of 30,000 people not on major intestates).
Most crowded: San Antonio I-10 and Huebner (only 1 SC in the City of San Antonio (Pop. 1.5 million) - another one in Stone Oak under construction.

Alice certainly cuts down the stress for us border residents traveling straight north on US281.

You missed our part of South TX, ha ha. Oh I get it, you live here!

Worth noting to visitors that we have the new Harlingen supercharger now in addition to Brownsville and McAllen. The Harlingen supercharger is very convenient for those heading south to visit SpaceX or South Padre Island.

Last edited:
Funny you mention SpaceX. I was at Kingsville a few days ago and started talking to the driver of a nearby Model 3. He is a Brit on a business trip to Houston. He stayed a few extra days, rented the Model 3, and all for the chance to go visit Starbase. He was over the moon and just babbled about how wonderful the place is.

I tbhink that as launches increase in number and the size of the rockets increase, there will be a major tourism industry springing up because of SpaceX.

Forty eight stall V4 SC on the Island?

Reactions: AudreyHTX1
I suppose the Island will become a popular location for watching launches, since the road to Boca Chica beach would be closed.

We took a trip out to SpaceX in July. It was very cool to see in person, but jeez that road out to Boca Chica beach is rough! This was taken just a few days before they had the fire erupt during the engine test and had to remove the booster again.

Attachments

• 6BBCAB5F-881F-438D-BE97-63482C4F716F.jpeg
    6BBCAB5F-881F-438D-BE97-63482C4F716F.jpeg
    377.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
We're planning a cross country trip next month. Lake Tahoe to Miami and want to visit Big Bend Park. Wondering about charging El Paso, Big Bend, San Antonio. Looks a little sparse.
Any suggestions?
I have not been through West Texas on a Tesla trip, but based on South Texas experience:
Charging is likely very limited off of Interstate 10
If you go to Big Bend, it is a long way from I-10 so you will definitely want to investigate alternative charging at hotels, etc.

But with proper planning you should have no problems.

Enjoy and be sure to post about the trip!

I have not been through West Texas on a Tesla trip, but based on South Texas experience:
Charging is likely very limited off of Interstate 10
If you go to Big Bend, it is a long way from I-10 so you will definitely want to investigate alternative charging at hotels, etc.

But with proper planning you should have no problems.

Enjoy and be sure to post about the trip!
It looks like there are lots of options for Level 2 charging at hotels and campgrounds near the park. I should be OK.
Looking forward to the trip!

We're planning a cross country trip next month. Lake Tahoe to Miami and want to visit Big Bend Park. Wondering about charging El Paso, Big Bend, San Antonio. Looks a little sparse.
Any suggestions?

I drove I-10 West through Texas at the end of this past February (2022). I didn't have any problems. I considered going down to Big Bend, but all the hotels/campgrounds with chargers or 240V outlets were booked, so I hiked in Guadalupe National Park instead. (It was a last-minute trip to use vacation time banked during Covid that I was going to lose otherwise.)

The main thing I did at all of the superchargers between San Antonio and El Paso was to pad my SOC at each, because not only is there wind and high speed limits, there also just isn't much civilization in between those sites. As in, there aren't even towns, let alone chargers, even L2 ones. It's a little like driving across Mars.

I drove I-10 West through Texas at the end of this past February (2022). I didn't have any problems. I considered going down to Big Bend, but all the hotels/campgrounds with chargers or 240V outlets were booked, so I hiked in Guadalupe National Park instead. (It was a last-minute trip to use vacation time banked during Covid that I was going to lose otherwise.)

The main thing I did at all of the superchargers between San Antonio and El Paso was to pad my SOC at each, because not only is there wind and high speed limits, there also just isn't much civilization in between those sites. As in, there aren't even towns, let alone chargers, even L2 ones. It's a little like driving across Mars.
Thanks for this advice.
Mars... maybe that's why Elon loves Texas.

• Funny
Reactions: vanjwilson
Any suggestions?
Charging in San Antonio is a bit of a pain be because the 2 superchargers on I-10 are both V2 chargers and often full. They are also both on the northwest side of town and not that far apart.

The new V3 charger on loop 1604 is also on the north side of town, not that convenient to I-10, but at least it’s an alternative.

There should be a supercharger coming into the east side of San Antonio at a Buc-ee’s before too long. This will help with the I-10 westbound traffic and maybe even eastbound from Junction. Not in time for you obviously.

Good luck with Big Bend NP - very tricky!

That seems like a smart move. The Pecos TX supercharger would definitely help.

Agree with the arrival SoC padding once you get west of I-35!

Reactions: mspohr
Charging in San Antonio is a bit of a pain be because the 2 superchargers on I-10 are both V2 chargers and often full. They are also both on the northwest side of town and not that far apart.

The new V3 charger on loop 1604 is also on the north side of town, not that convenient to I-10, but at least it’s an alternative.

There should be a supercharger coming into the east side of San Antonio at a Buc-ee’s before too long. This will help with the I-10 westbound traffic and maybe even eastbound from Junction. Not in time for you obviously.

Thanks for this information.
I'll probably have to plan for some L2 charging near the park.

It looks like we are planning to stay in Marathon at the Gage Hotel. They have a Tesla L2 charger and this should let us keep the car charged for excursions into the park and the surrounding area.

• Informative
Reactions: vanjwilson
That seems like a smart move. The Pecos TX supercharger would definitely help.

In fact, I cut up to Pecos from Fort Stockton to stay the night before I hiked in Guadalupe. The Best Western Swiss Chalet there had multiple Tesla Destination Chargers for guests. The Pecos supercharger was the backup plan I ended up not really needing, but I plugged in for a minute, just to check it off the Superchargers Visited game.

It is just so far to drive into the park and then get back out without using one of the RV hookups which requires some planning ahead.
I think the furthest we would want to drive would be from Marathon to Terlingua which is about 100 miles one way. Should be no problem round trip. I have a Model S LR with 400 miles range. Probably will just drive to the park itself which is only 40 miles

I think the furthest we would want to drive would be from Marathon to Terlingua which is about 100 miles one way. Should be no problem round trip. I have a Model S LR with 400 miles range. Probably will just drive to the park itself which is only 40 miles
There isn’t really much to see just driving to that entrance. More like drive up to Chisos Basin which is 77 miles and a good scenic climb. Be a long day trip but probably worth it if you’ve never been to Big Bend NP.

We like to stay up in the Chisos Basin and use it as a base for day trips and enjoy the incredible dark night sky, but without some level of reliable charging there it’s not practical for us yet. Even confined to the Basin for a few days we’d be happy enough - lots of great hiking and scenery and wildlife right there.

There isn’t really much to see just driving to that entrance. More like drive up to Chisos Basin which is 77 miles and a good scenic climb. Be a long day trip but probably worth it if you’ve never been to Big Bend NP.

We like to stay up in the Chisos Basin and use it as a base for day trips and enjoy the incredible dark night sky, but without some level of reliable charging there it’s not practical for us yet. Even confined to the Basin for a few days we’d be happy enough - lots of great hiking and scenery and wildlife right there.
Thanks for this advice

Funny personal anecdote about that particular BBNP entrance (Persimmon Gap) the last time we drove in from Marathon:

When we stopped at the entrance visitor center, to our surprise we noticed what looked like a Big Horn Sheep ram looking down from a ridge across the road from the center. When we went inside to get our pass we asked the rangers, “Do you have Big Horn Sheep in this park?”
“Yes, but we’ve never seen them.”
“Well there is one out there right now looking down at you.”
All the rangers went running out to look and got to see the ram before it turned and left the ridge. I think it made their day.

Thanks for the response to my thread. I enjoyed reading yours and I did watch all your videos as well, particularly I-10 ones. So your experience has certainly weighed into my thinking. Keep up the good work! Gregory Turley