Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Southern California: home 240v charging install, will affect/increase property tax?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Southern California and had a Tesla wall charger installed. No effect on property taxes I am aware of. I am not a real estate expert, but I am pretty sure your property taxes only increase if you add permitted square footage to the house.

Actually, CA property taxes could increase even without adding square footage, for example if you did a substantial restore to make the house “new”. Another example would be if you changed a garage into a bedroom.

Some improvements such as adding solar energy are exempt from reassessment, but adding EVSE is not. But I’ve never heard of anyone in my area getting reassessed for installing an EVSE.

CA law is that only the portion of the property which was newly constructed is subject to reassessment at market value. Say adding an EVSE adds $1K in property value. The average property tax rate in CA is less than 1% per year, I.e., less than $10 per year. My guess is that it isn’t worth it for the county to reassess.

• Informative
Reactions: Rottenapplr
Do you have to pay the inspector to come to your house?
By "inspector", if you mean the building inspector for checking out your EVSE install, no you don't pay separate from the permit fee.
If you mean the assessor to assess your property, the answer is also no. They do that on their own with all the info they have from permits, driving around, neighbors who tip off, etc.

You might find this document useful. Although it is published by the County where I live, it pretty much applies to all over California.

Overall, don't worry about it. You are not going to be reassessed for an EVSE install.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rottenapplr