Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Southern California Incentive Project ($70k DCFC subsidies)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RubberToe

Supporting the greater good
Jun 28, 2012
El Lay
This program is allocating $29,000,000 across 4 Southern California counties for business owners who would installs DC fast chargers. The rebate is $70,000 or 80% of the cost, whichever is lesser.

Southern California Incentive Project (SCIP) | CALeVIP

The linked page shows a real time graph of how much of the funds have been both reserved and issued per county. All chargers require both CCS and Chademo connectors, and there is a list of supported DCFCs. There are 7 total, including some high power ones:

https://calevip.org/sites/default/files/docs/calevip-scip/SCIP-Eligible-Equipment.pdf

I think the issue here going forward will be how reliable these DCFCs are when installed, and how fast the businesses will have them repaired when they go down.

RT

That is *really* interesting. Two things stand out to me:

1. It looks like the vendor can set rates
2. A charger with a battery is eligible

This program will succeed when battery enabled units keep demand charges down and high voltage infrastructure is not required. Once again, it is all about the battery. A big canopy of PV would also benefit the cost analysis..

Last edited:
This program is allocating $29,000,000 across 4 Southern California counties for business owners who would installs DC fast chargers. The rebate is $70,000 or 80% of the cost, whichever is lesser.
Southern California Incentive Project (SCIP) | CALeVIP
The linked page shows a real time graph of how much of the funds have been both reserved and issued per county. All chargers require both CCS and Chademo connectors, and there is a list of supported DCFCs. There are 7 total, including some high power ones:
https://calevip.org/sites/default/files/docs/calevip-scip/SCIP-Eligible-Equipment.pdf
I think the issue here going forward will be how reliable these DCFCs are when installed, and how fast the businesses will have them repaired when they go down. RT

Funny thing... I don't see the Tesla Supercharger on the list :cool:

upload_2018-9-11_19-47-24.png

Tesla should create “Hybrid” Superchargers that include the other “standards” to take advantage of additional funding from these cities. It could be an addition source of revenue if they included solar canopies and battery systems, essentially making money on the energy they generate.

Reactions: SageBrush
Funny thing... I don't see the Tesla Supercharger on the list :cool:
Why are you at all surprised? The program explicitly requires the use of a dual CCS/CHAdeMO charger. This is because those are the only available, non-proprietary connectors for DCFC. Meaning any car company can put a CCS/CHAdeMO port on their car without having to pay to license it. Tesla chooses not use either of these ports on their cars and therefore obviously Superchargers use their own proprietary connector--not dual CCS/CHAdeMO--so of course they aren't eligible.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911