Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Southern California (Orange County) Tesla Model 3 Tint/PPF Group Buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Hello fellow Tesla Owners, I am going to pick up pearl white model 3 on Friday vin #43xxx in Costa Mesa and I’ve been shopping around to get my windows tinted and MAYBE PPF.

I used yelp and found a shop called Rodz tint shop a few blocks from my house and paid them a visit, they had 2 teslas model 3s in the shop having work done so I got to check them out. I spoke to the co-owner/manager? -Roger, and I asked if he might be interested in a limited time group buy for Tesla Model 3’s to which he agreed! They are 3m Certified installers, and carry the relevant warranties, and he spent about 1-2 hours explaining to me everything and even let me take home a sample of the tints and 3M PPF I was interested in.

They have a parent/sister shop in Ontario as well, links below for both stores.

Relavent Yelp links:

Rods Tint Touch - Ontario (parent shop)

Rods Tint Shop - Fountain Valley
Also just realized they are on instagram - Rodz Tint Shop (@rodztintshop) • Instagram photos and videos

After speaking to Roger, these are the prices he was willing to offer for the Model 3 group buy.

Tier 1 pricing (3-5 Tesla Model 3s)

Tinting using 3M crystalline (10 year warranty)

Complete tinting (4 windows, 2 quarters, whole rear as one piece, Sunroof, & front windshield) - $800

Complete tinting without front windshield - $650

PPF 3m Scotch guard Pro series –self healing (10 year warranty, 5 year free protection agreement)

Full frontal wrap (Full: Bumper, fenders x2, hood, headlights, side mirrors) - $1400

Full body wrap: $5500

Miscellaneous services:

Center Console Wrap – 3m or Avery your choice in color/design (Carbon fiber, matte, satin, etc) - $65

Vinyl Chrome Delete - $500

Tier 2 pricing (6-9 Tesla Model 3s)

Complete Tinting - $750

Complete tinting without front windshield - $650

Full frontal wrap - $1300

Full body Wrap - $4750

Center Console wrap - $50

Chrome Delete $400

Tier 3 pricing (10+ Tesla Model 3)

Complete Tinting - $700

Complete tinting without front windshield - $600

Full frontal wrap - $1200

Full body Wrap - $4500

Center Console wrap - $50

Chrome Delete $325

If you want a lifetime no fault Warranty for your tint, he also offers Lumar CTX, but from my research 3m seems to be the gold standard...

If you are interested,please post here, and PM me, and I'll try to keep track of everyone and update the thread as we hit targets.

Interesting but have you checked out the existing Group Buy in So Cal?

LA Tesla Group Buy

I got the Ceramic Coating done by Doug and it came out great.

I did! the prices were pretty good but its in LA, and I live in Fountain valley (I'm lazy). Signature Tint in Costa mesa did my first car, but their prices recently went up. I'm a huge fan of Llumar CTX (Signature did my 3 series bmw back in 2008ish I still drive that car til today, albeit with no AC =( and the tint still remains intact to this day) I might try crystalline since reddit says 3M crystalline is supposed to be the best.

I am actually looking into doing the ceramic coating myself since I'm tight on money haha. Someone posted a guide on here,and it doesn't look THAT hard. I'm honestly financially tapped out after I pay for my model 3. I'm super excited about getting my car tomorrow (Though I still haven't received my contract from Tesla yet, I think I'm going to call them right now).

Interested! I have a 9/2018 - 11/2018 delivery estimate. Can we swing a pay first, bring it in later deal?

EDIT:
I have a few friends/coworkers who may also be interested, maybe another 2-4 people.

EDIT 2:
The LA group buy is waaaay better. Gonna go with that one. Thanks for looking out for the rest of us!

Last edited:
I just called Roger to answer these questions:
1. Model S, The tint will be cheaper cause the rear window doesn't need to be done in one big piece like the model 3, the wrap he said he will honor the same tiered pricing (based on how many Teslas we get in). You can message the Fountain Valley store on yelp about the tint, ask for Roger he's pretty good at responding promptly. Also please mention the group buy, if you get your S done, it adds to the total # of cars and you will get us closer to the higher tier :p

2. End Date - TBD - Roger wants to offer it as long as he can, and he knows a lot of people are still waiting on their teslas (he wants one too). If this group buy is successful, he said he'll try to keep it rolling, at least until the end of the year so people who have been waiting for their model 3's can get in on it.

I actually work in Westminster and waiting on my vehicle too in the same time frame as others. You can count me in assuming this keeps going. I noticed the LA Group Buy is Suntek vs. 3M. Read a few details on it, but was wondering if anyone else has opinions on the window tint options.

Interested! I have a 9/2018 - 11/2018 delivery estimate. Can we swing a pay first, bring it in later deal?

EDIT:
I have a few friends/coworkers who may also be interested, maybe another 2-4 people.

EDIT 2:
The LA group buy is waaaay better. Gonna go with that one. Thanks for looking out for the rest of us!

You're welcome!
It's a matter of opinion, I read on reddit, asked a few car buddies, and the general consensus was 3M Crystalline was top dog. I have personal experience

If we can get to 5+ cars, I think this will be a super great buy. Plus if anything goes wrong, I dont need to drive to LA haha, Their shop is like a 6 minute drive away.

I spoke to them about Ceramic and they said they do offer that on top of the PPF
ceramic pro on the PPF with the following tiered pricing.
1-5 $400
5-9 $350
10+ $300

They also offer Llumar CTX with the following pricing:
Complete Tint (front, sunroof, rear, sides):
1-3 - $700
3-5 - $650
5-9 - $600
10+ - 575

I actually work in Westminster and waiting on my vehicle too in the same time frame as others. You can count me in assuming this keeps going. I noticed the LA Group Buy is Suntek vs. 3M. Read a few details on it, but was wondering if anyone else has opinions on the window tint options.

I had a Sept-Nov delivery, but I'm getting mine tomorrow! I preordered I think back in 8/2016.

As for tint recommendations, I've never used 3m, But my car friends like 3M, they all collectively agreed 3M Crystalline is the best stuff, just a bit pricier since the film costs more.

I also have never used Suntek either. so I'm unable to give personal feedback on that, hopefully someone can chime in.

I have used Llumar CTX which I had Signature Glass tinting in Costa mesa do back in 2008 on my BMW. It has held up extremely well, It bubbled once after rolling up my window at a Yoshinoya, and I brought it back 3 months after the tint and they redid the window. I asked Rodz about the Llumar warranty, and they say it carries the same warranty with them as well. One thing I didn't like about it though, was heat, it didn't do that great a job at keeping out the heat (black bmw = heat magnet) and I'm told the Crystalline should be better at heat reduction.

I'm on the fence between LLumar and 3M, but leaning 3M.

I had a Sept-Nov delivery, but I'm getting mine tomorrow! I preordered I think back in 8/2016.

As for tint recommendations, I've never used 3m, But my car friends like 3M, they all collectively agreed 3M Crystalline is the best stuff, just a bit pricier since the film costs more.

I also have never used Suntek either. so I'm unable to give personal feedback on that, hopefully someone can chime in.

I have used Llumar CTX which I had Signature Glass tinting in Costa mesa do back in 2008 on my BMW. It has held up extremely well, It bubbled once after rolling up my window at a Yoshinoya, and I brought it back 3 months after the tint and they redid the window. I asked Rodz about the Llumar warranty, and they say it carries the same warranty with them as well. One thing I didn't like about it though, was heat, it didn't do that great a job at keeping out the heat (black bmw = heat magnet) and I'm told the Crystalline should be better at heat reduction.

I'm on the fence between LLumar and 3M, but leaning 3M.

I read the same, and was leaning 3M as well which made me more interested in your group buy than the LA one. I'm also on the fence and debating switching back to AWD so that might delay my delivery some more.

As to the pricing, when it says Tier 1,2,3 how does the discount come? You get the chrome delete discount at $325 when 10 people do chrome delete?

So I just had to call them about this, cause I wasn't sure haha. Its done by total cars brought in for service. so say 10 people come in for a tint, the Chrome delete price and stuff will all be in that tier. As long as the cars are all coming in for non miscellaneous service, they count towards the tier total. (basically 10 of us cant go in just for the console wrap, and qualify for tier 3 pricing for everyone :p ) but if 7 cars get tints, 3 get wraps, we're good to go on all Tier 3 pricing.

I read the same, and was leaning 3M as well which made me more interested in your group buy than the LA one. I'm also on the fence and debating switching back to AWD so that might delay my delivery some more.

I'm pretty sure if you talk to Roger, he can hold the pricing for you til you get your tesla if you decide to get the AWD. He's a very nice guy, and I've had to call like 3x times today. If anyone has any questions about the 5 - year free protection on the PPF or the Tint warranty, I'm sure you can call the store and ask for him and he can explain it in detail. Just remember to mention the group buy.

Here's the link to the other group buy thread:

Recommended PPF installer in So Cal? (West side)

As to which is better, depends on what you want. Some people prefer one PPF versus another - same with tint and coating. When you are checking out coating, be sure to include paint correction (want to start with a nice finish) as well as ask about how long the warranty is. The tiers in this group buy are more easily achievable than the LA group buy. By the way, LA is really Torrance. For me it isn't a big deal as I live in North Orange County and work in Long Beach. YMMV.

Good luck to everyone and enjoy your cars.