Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Southern California (Orange County) Tesla Model 3 Tint/PPF Group Buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the update! I'm a bit concerned with Roger gone, how they're tracking everyone who has paid deposits as well as the prices being honored etc. How sure are you that Roger is gone rather than just taking a break? I've already paid my deposit but had to cancel my original appointment due to a change in delivery dates.

It might be a while before I get my car so I'm wondering how he's going to handle everything since I've only communicated with Roger previously.

Thanks for the update! I'm a bit concerned with Roger gone, how they're tracking everyone who has paid deposits as well as the prices being honored etc. How sure are you that Roger is gone rather than just taking a break? I've already paid my deposit but had to cancel my original appointment due to a change in delivery dates.

It might be a while before I get my car so I'm wondering how he's going to handle everything since I've only communicated with Roger previously.

If you put a deposit down, you should have a receipt right? Hopefully that work? At least you have evidence of payment?

Hey @tracksyde , I thought you were in on the group buy at Ultimate Shield in Orange. What changed?

I never put down a deposit at Ultimate Shield.. I think that group buy was kind of going on way before I got my car? That group buy also had a short time period to put down a deposit, from what I recall.

But anyway, I flip flopped on the idea of PPF for about 3 months and had pretty much decided I was just going to live without it.. until this deal came up.. and since its really really close to my work (1.5 miles), it was really convenient too. The Concourse group buy in Torrance was a good deal too, but being in Torrance and taking a whole day for the PPF.. I didnt know how I was going to handle that (but most likely I would've sat around for the whole day or hung out some place local for the whole day.. which wouldnt have been ideal either)

I'm supposed to drop my co-worker off later so I'll see how it goes and report back. But I dont imagine there would be a problem.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jedi2155
I just dropped off a co-worker at Rodz this morning and we talked to Jesse (I think). But he said Roger is no longer working there (at least that was the impression I got).

They're still honoring the group buy prices, but he said he didnt want to do the chrome deletes anymore. He also mentioned that it was Roger's decision to add the chrome delete to the group buy (which someone pointed out earlier). But he said it was never something he was comfortable doing. He said that for the customers that got chrome delete and were not happy, he would definitely make it right though.

Its been a week since I got my front PPF done there. The top of the fenders and left/right/front edges of the hood are wrapped, but everywhere else, the PPF just goes up to about 1/16" from the edge. There werent too many bubbles or wet spots when I picked it up. But leaving it out in the sun for the past week everything is pretty much gone. There's still one spot I'm monitoring daily, but it looks like something may have gotten trapped underneath. From what I read across various forums, its rare anyone gets a 100% perfect installation though.

Overall, I'm happy with the quality of the work. I knew it was not going to be "seamless" or have all the edges wrapped going in. I had originally decided to not wrap it at all. But with the group buy I figured it was a good deal.

A couple of other things I think are worth mentioning (again).. but 3M offers a 10 year PPF product guarantee but also a 5 year service guarantee (I think thats what they called it). The 5 year covers any damage to the PPF AND the paint underneath (up to $3500, even includes rental car coverage).. it just doesnt cover vandalism. The 10 year covers the product itself against yellowing, adhesive failure, etc. These warranties are through 3M directly. And second thing, they do a light paint correction on the front before doing the wrap. Most places I called for quotes didnt include the paint correction.

Oh, and one last thing, Jesse is in the back working most of the time. With Roger gone, it sounds like he may be a little short staffed at the moment and may not always be available to answer the phone. But he said to leave a message and he would definitely call you back.
Wow, I wonder why Roger is gone if that's really true. He helped launch the place almost a year ago.

@T34ME,

Ultimate Shield does great work! Fantastic! They wrapped my X. I did not know there was a group buy! What are the details? I know they're more pricey... but the work they do may be worth it depending on the discount.
Ultimate Shield group buy ended several months ago when they reached 20 deposits ($100) for a 20% discount. I still don't have my car yet, waiting for SAS model 3, but I just talked to Sean last week and he said no problem, they will honor my deposit when I bring my car in.

I know they are one of the more expensive shops around but they do show cars for celebrities and the 20% discount takes some of the sting out of it. Their specialty is PPF, coatings, and chrome delete.

Is that your MSM X in the Gallery Photos?

Last edited:
Ultimate Shield group buy ended several months ago when they reached 20 deposits ($100) for a 20% discount. I still don't have my car yet, waiting for SAS model 3, but I just talked to Sean last week and he said no problem, they will honor my deposit when I bring my car in.

I know they are one of the more expensive shops around but they do show cars for celebrities and the 20% discount takes some of the sting out of it. Their specialty is PPF, coatings, and chrome delete.

Is that your MSM X in the Gallery Photos?

Not my X ; mine is metallic silver (see avatar). I didn't order my 3 until last month, so didn't know about the group buy. Sad. Although he's still more expensive for Suntek (which on paper doesn't shield as well as 3M), I think I would still go with him if I could get in on it. He didn't offer any discount when I called him. Cant say enough how happy I am with his work. But hard to argue with the discount from Rodz. As long as their tint jobs are fine, I guess I'll be ok with it.

I just got back from Rodz.

Roger is no longer working there. Jesse has all the records of deposits so no issues there. Jesse used to own Rodz in Ontario, but sold it to a friend. He opened Rodz in Fountain Valley in February 2018. Jesse has been tinting for over 20 years. The PPF guy (didnt get his name), has been installing PPF for over 10 years.

I noticed one of my daytime running lights was dimmer than the other one today. So I asked Jesse how much it would cost to replace the PPF on my headlight if Tesla replaces the headlight with a new one. He said he wouldnt charge me for that since he would just cut me a new piece from some scrap material he has left over. I thought that was pretty cool of him.

I also saw some of his tint work on a customers car that was just finished and the work was good. I'd definitely be happy with it.

Did anybody
Any of you guys considering cancelling the PPF wrap?

I am, after reading everything above. I'm glad the PPF person has had years of experience, but at the same time, it doesn't sound like the work done is as flawless as I'd like. I'm concerned at how visible the PPF seams are going to end up being after waxing, for one.

Does anybody have pix of their Model 3 PPF job? Full PPF, preferably.

Too bad I already PayPal'd the money for PPF. I don't know if I have much of a choice besides just going for it at this point.

Did anybody

I am, after reading everything above. I'm glad the PPF person has had years of experience, but at the same time, it doesn't sound like the work done is as flawless as I'd like. I'm concerned at how visible the PPF seams are going to end up being after waxing, for one.

Does anybody have pix of their Model 3 PPF job? Full PPF, preferably.

Too bad I already PayPal'd the money for PPF. I don't know if I have much of a choice besides just going for it at this point.
Pretty sure you can ask for refund.

I just dropped off a co-worker at Rodz this morning and we talked to Jesse (I think). But he said Roger is no longer working there (at least that was the impression I got).

They're still honoring the group buy prices, but he said he didnt want to do the chrome deletes anymore. He also mentioned that it was Roger's decision to add the chrome delete to the group buy (which someone pointed out earlier). But he said it was never something he was comfortable doing. He said that for the customers that got chrome delete and were not happy, he would definitely make it right though.

Its been a week since I got my front PPF done there. The top of the fenders and left/right/front edges of the hood are wrapped, but everywhere else, the PPF just goes up to about 1/16" from the edge. There werent too many bubbles or wet spots when I picked it up. But leaving it out in the sun for the past week everything is pretty much gone. There's still one spot I'm monitoring daily, but it looks like something may have gotten trapped underneath. From what I read across various forums, its rare anyone gets a 100% perfect installation though.

Overall, I'm happy with the quality of the work. I knew it was not going to be "seamless" or have all the edges wrapped going in. I had originally decided to not wrap it at all. But with the group buy I figured it was a good deal.

A couple of other things I think are worth mentioning (again).. but 3M offers a 10 year PPF product guarantee but also a 5 year service guarantee (I think thats what they called it). The 5 year covers any damage to the PPF AND the paint underneath (up to $3500, even includes rental car coverage).. it just doesnt cover vandalism. The 10 year covers the product itself against yellowing, adhesive failure, etc. These warranties are through 3M directly. And second thing, they do a light paint correction on the front before doing the wrap. Most places I called for quotes didnt include the paint correction.

Oh, and one last thing, Jesse is in the back working most of the time. With Roger gone, it sounds like he may be a little short staffed at the moment and may not always be available to answer the phone. But he said to leave a message and he would definitely call you back.
Can you post some pics of aformentioned PPF areas?

Can you post some pics of aformentioned PPF areas?

The first pic is the one I’ve been watching. It gets ‘smaller’ over time, but I think there’s something under the film, sadly. It’s right in the middle, looks like a small bug splatter.

The second pic is like some distortion from maybe stretching the film? This distortion is on the front bumper, below the fender towards the front, near the wheel. I don’t think it gets much sun during the day. I plan to hit it with a heat gun this weekend. But it’s really only visible from an angle.

E2ED7939-1A70-4526-93F5-393EA398D8CA.jpeg DB7EC752-EFEA-4D74-AF9A-7C89737F99F0.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Vegan Pleather
I just got back from Rodz...

I also saw some of his tint work on a customers car that was just finished and the work was good. I'd definitely be happy with it.
Was it a red 3? If so, maybe it was mine. Tint seems perfect to me. Very happy with the way it looks. Jesse is a very earnest guy who clearly takes pride in his work. I appreciated the pleasure he took in how well it turned out.

I went with 70 on the roof and windshield, 50 on the front side windows, and 40 on the rear and back windows. I wear polarized prescription sunglasses and there are absolutely no issues.

Too bad Roger offered to do the delete because they'll take a beating for that on this forum. If he had stuck with his strength he'd be a hero. I'm mean seriously, full crystilline tint for $700? That's a deal.

I asked how many 3s he had tinted by now and he said around 50. Since the group buy he's been doing 2 per day. If assume after 10-20 he'd be an expert.

Don't hesitate or stress about going to him for tint.