Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Southern California (Orange County) Tesla Model 3 Tint/PPF Group Buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tinting:
3M Crystalline 40%
- Back Windows x2
- Back Windshield

3M Crystalline 70%
- Front Windows x2
- Front Windshield (debating, if they had 90% it'd be no question)

Considering
- PPF Bumper ($350)
- Cereamique Coating ($?)

Mines is scheduled for Aug. 22nd.

I asked if they had 3M 90% for the front windshield which they unfortunately don't :(. I'm particularly concerned about how vision through the front windshield is with 70% tint especially at night time as I've heard there was issues with seeing dark objects/light glare. I'd love to tint the front, but afraid of usability issues.

I had 70% on my Prius and for the 6 years I had it, always felt like I got ripped off because it was so light. I have Air80 on the Model 3 and it’s pretty much the same to the naked eye, but I expected it to be pretty light this time around. If it affects your night vision, I’d honestly be very surprised.

I had 70% on my Prius and for the 6 years I had it, always felt like I got ripped off because it was so light. I have Air80 on the Model 3 and it’s pretty much the same to the naked eye, but I expected it to be pretty light this time around. If it affects your night vision, I’d honestly be very surprised.

So doing it all over again... which is better/ the 70% or the air80?

So doing it all over again... which is better/ the 70% or the air80?

I don’t feel the 70% is noticeably darker than the 80%. But the Llumar Air80 total solar heat rejection (TSER) was decent for such a light film, from what I recall. Since I really only care about the heat and not the added darkness/privacy, and with my prior experience with 70%, id go with 3M Crystalline 70%.

Looked it up:

3M Crystalline 70% is 50% TSER
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media...e-window-film-crystalline-series-brochure.pdf

Llumar Air80 is 43% TSER
http://cdn.llumar.com/drupes/llautospecifications_20140715_00.pdf

So yeah, definitely 3MC 70% if I could do it over

I don’t feel the 70% is noticeably darker than the 80%. But the Llumar Air80 total solar heat rejection (TSER) was decent for such a light film, from what I recall. Since I really only care about the heat and not the added darkness/privacy, and with my prior experience with 70%, id go with 3M Crystalline 70%.

Looked it up:

3M Crystalline 70% is 50% TSER
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media...e-window-film-crystalline-series-brochure.pdf

Llumar Air80 is 43% TSER
http://cdn.llumar.com/drupes/llautospecifications_20140715_00.pdf

So yeah, definitely 3MC 70% if I could do it over
You don't think 70 is too dark for the windshield? How about when driving at night?

On my two cars I have 90 on windshield, 70 on front windows and 40 on rear.

You don't think 70 is too dark for the windshield? How about when driving at night?

On my two cars I have 90 on windshield, 70 on front windows and 40 on rear.

I had SolarGard 70% on my Prius (Automotive Window Film - Ultra Performance | Solar Gard). But no, I never thought it was too dark. And like I mentioned above, I always thought it was too light. In reality, as long as the film has a decent TSER %, the shade doesnt mean that much (for example, like a regular dyed film, like Madico Charcoal 5% has a TSER of 45%, whereas the Llumar Air80 ceramic 80% has a TSER of 43%).

The point I was trying to make was that if you only have the choice of 3M Crystalline 70% at Rodz, I personally wouldn't be concerned that it is too dark based on my experience with SolarGard 70% on a windshield. But if you had the option of 3M Crystalline 70% versus Llumar Air80 and you do have concerns about the darkness, then the Air80 would be somewhat comparable in its solar energy rejection (43% vs 50%).

Mines is scheduled for Aug. 22nd.

I asked if they had 3M 90% for the front windshield which they unfortunately don't :(. I'm particularly concerned about how vision through the front windshield is with 70% tint especially at night time as I've heard there was issues with seeing dark objects/light glare. I'd love to tint the front, but afraid of usability issues.

damnit. that settles it for me then, no windshield. i also wanted 90 for the windshield...

I just got back my Model 3 back from Rodz, I too wanted 90% on the windshield, but decided to try the 70% and see how I like it. I got 70 on the windshield and sunroof, 60 on the front sides and 40 on the back sides and rear. Also had my console warped with black metal. Looks awesome! $750 out the door, best deal in SoCal by far!!! Thank you Nevertipsy for organizing this group buy!

I just got back my Model 3 back from Rodz, I too wanted 90% on the windshield, but decided to try the 70% and see how I like it. I got 70 on the windshield and sunroof, 60 on the front sides and 40 on the back sides and rear. Also had my console warped with black metal. Looks awesome! $750 out the door, best deal in SoCal by far!!! Thank you Nevertipsy for organizing this group buy!
Can you take some pics and share? Thanks!

Tesla

According this owner, you have to be very careful about tinting the front windshield during the cleaning process to make sure no liquid gets behind the dash/windshield or you might fry the console/screen.....

I have a model X and tinted the front at 70 with Photosync. No issues at all for night driving. In fact, I had the double vision glare issue for LED lights and headlights, which the front windshield tint totally solved.

I had read about the front display water issue too. I asked Roger specifically about that and he said they make special efforts not to get any water back there. More comforting than that would be the high volume of 3s they’re doing. By the time you get an appt, they’ll have so much experience with it that I doubt it would be an issue.

I’m definitely getting 70 on my front. 40 for the rest. Would prefer 30 if they made it.

52BB7FFD-F192-423C-BFD4-112E1862244D.jpeg
C4645386-3C83-4AA3-A2F2-04D8B0D41A05.jpeg
6158384E-F45F-4146-9C21-D0E35C2AC904.jpeg
Here are some pictures of the tint and chrome delete on my car. CR70 windshield and 40 everywhere else. I have no issues with the windshield being too dark.

Last edited: