Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Southern NJ to Central NC, then Asheville, and back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just spoke with Asheville KOA West not long ago. The gentleman there told me it wouldn't be a problem if I wanted to use a 50A outlet for a few hours on Saturday, just call ahead. :D

I tend to take the Harbor Tunnel then get on the BW Parkway to cut the Beltway loop. Traffic through Harbor Tunnel is minimal though the speed limit does go down to 50 for a while and the cops like to patrol that stretch. BW Parkway is hillier but your speed is naturally moderated giving you both fewer miles and lower energy consumption. If I was going for least time (assuming no traffic) I'd do Ft McHenry to the Beltway. In the Tesla there are other considerations.

Finally, don't detour to Bethesda unless you really need to. Depending on the time of day you'll have to fight the traffic along the north side of the Beltway and it's simply faster to slow down to make the distance to Glen Allen.

Finally, don't detour to Bethesda unless you really need to. Depending on the time of day you'll have to fight the traffic along the north side of the Beltway and it's simply faster to slow down to make the distance to Glen Allen.
thanks for this tip. I just plotted the route from the DE SC to Bethesda, I had worries about making it to Glen Allen in my new MS 85

Looking at the route Google gives for the trip, I'm not 100% sure I want to follow it. I've never actually taken the Harbor Tunnel or the Baltimore-Washington Parkway on this trip, opting to just follow 95 all the way through (and the Fort McHenry Tunnel). Although, my route is a little longer, so, not sure yet. Any suggestions?

Here is the normal Google-given route for the Supercharger to Supercharger portions of the trip (the beginning and end portions arent really important): http://goo.gl/maps/dvidE (394 miles, 197 miles between both superchargers)
Now here is the version I modified to make it match my normal route I use on this trip: http://goo.gl/maps/6Gejl (404 miles, 207 miles from Newark, DE to Glen Allen VA (+10 miles); 197 from Glen Allen, VA to Burlington, NC (unchanged))

I know the second route easily enough, so I'm a tiny bit concerned about getting off track trying to follow the shorter route. Could 10 miles really mean that much? Haven't decided which route to follow yet...

Sounds like you've got a good plan. As a former Volt owner, you should be familiar with driving to stretch range when you want too.

I wouldn't sweat the 10 mile difference too much, both routes are well within the realistic range of the 85 driven at posted speeds+10.

Consider starting your journey driving more gently, as you approach your charging destinations you can speed up when you see a comfortable buffer between your remaining miles and your remaining range. The superchargers fill fastest when the battery is near empty so might as well use up range as you get close because it won't cost you much extra time charging (and it's fun). On the other end, the supercharger becomes VERY SLOW when you near the top of battery capacity so only charge to what you need given expected distance/conditions and a comfortable buffer.

As for which route is best, I would say traffic at that hour is really a crap shoot. One of the great things about the model S is the large map with real-time traffic data. I tend to look ahead in the next 60-100 miles to see what traffic is doing. It is easy for you (or better yet a co-pilot/navigator if you have one) to see trouble ahead and reroute. The silver lining of traffic is slower speeds and increased range in some situations. This is less beneficial if you are using cabin heat in cold weather or of course at a dead stop. I wouldn't automatically avoid the route around the west side of 495 either. It is actually 4 miles shorter than the eastern route and brings you near the Bethesda SC if needed. Either way around the beltway can back up though by 8:30pm, things are generally OK. 295 is fine too depending on traffic, it is slower posted speed limits and more direct so will stretch range.

Lastly, you are hitting Superchargers pretty late so many (possibly all) of the stores within safe walking distance may be closed. You might need to find a gas station to get your late night coffee fix or whatever
icon6.gif

Have fun!

The silver lining of traffic is slower speeds and increased range in some situations. This is less beneficial if you are using cabin heat in cold weather or of course at a dead stop.

But if that traffic fluctuates speed a lot, it hurts range. Even if not literally "stop and go." Accelerating up to normal speed costs more range than you got back from the slowdown preceding it. ;-( In my experience, anyway.

Slower traffic that's consistent? Fine (though still a bit frustrating).

I wouldn't automatically avoid the route around the west side of 495 either. It is actually 4 miles shorter than the eastern route and brings you near the Bethesda SC if needed. Either way around the beltway can back up though by 8:30pm, things are generally OK.

Me neither; I wouldn't automatically avoid the NW side of the beltway either! It's all in when you hit it. Unless it's morning or afternoon rush hour, it's usually fine. I go to work around 1-2 PM every day and, barring accidents (which can happen on the east side, too), it's usually fine (granted, I'm going from Silver Spring to 66, not all the way south, but I've done that, too and it's usually fine).

Like any route, there're a couple of odd spots where things frequently slow down a bit for no reason and then pick back up. I'll never understand University Blvd. to Georgia Ave., for example. ;-)

Not like I-95 south of the Beltway, which just bites no matter what time of day, it seems to me. . . .

Have fun!

The ultimate words to live by! :-D

Thanks everyone for the great advice! :)

I'm pretty sure I'll be fine, really. I think I will take the extra time to fully top off at the Superchargers, regardless of buffer comfort, just because this will be my first long trip with the Model S and, well, never know when it'll be needed.

Also planning the trip to Asheville, so, definitely range charging in Burlington to minimize charge times elsewhere to the west.

I figure I will check the traffic on the map for the DC/Baltimore area. Probably right about taking the lower posted speed limit routes to potentially increase range.

I'm not sure about posted speeds+10 though. On my trip to the DE supercharger and back, I took it pretty easy, cabin heat on 65 in range mode recirculating a/c off and I was barely able to keep it close to rated range (got about 310Wh/mi going about the speed limit, both 65 and 55 mph zones). I did another trip up I-295 in NJ earlier in the week and did about 70 (speed limit 65) and ended up using around 400 Wh/mi, a full third less than rated. I suppose even at 400 Wh/mi I can still get 200-ish miles out of a range charge, though, max, which is enough to make it from SC to SC.

Hoping all goes well without a hitch. :)

-wk

So, fun day!

I am here in NC (Davie county area). Trip went pretty smoothly overall.

I did range charge at all 3 supercharger stops. Good thing too.

First, home to Newark Deleware...

Started out with 271 rated miles. Arrived in at the DE SC with 229 rated miles (38.1 actual, 317 Wh/mi) Charged to 273 rated miles in 45 minutes.

Left for Glen Allen, VA SC. Traffic wasn't too bad, decided to take 95 straight through along with the eastern DC loop (my normal route).

210.1 actual miles traveled, arrived with 37 rated miles. Stayed at or under 65 for the first 100 miles of that stretch. Set cruise at 78 MPH for the balance. 312 Wh/mi.

Stopped at Chilis for some coffee and restroom break (was only establishment left open in the area at 10:30PM). Supercharger charged at 120 kW to start.

1 hour 10 minutes later left with 267 rated miles. (Could have charged more, but was down to only 9 kW of charge so not worth it I thought).

Again took it easy, headed towards Burlington, NC. About 50 miles out had some weather related issues: interstate 85/40 was ice in many places, reducing speeds significantly and added over an hour to the travel time. Arrived in Burlington, NC at the SC with 14 rated miles left. 363 Wh/mi used.

Note on this supercharger: The public rest rooms are not accessible after hours. There is a Wal-Mart a mile away though.

The entire parking lot and area around the superchargers was frozen over. The superchargers were all literally iced. (See pics I will post later). I had to break ice when removing the cable to use it. Charged to 271 rated miles. Unfortunately both myself and my copilot fell asleep so, got a 45 minute later start out from Burlington than expected.

Arrived at family destination with about 180 rated miles after continued battles against black ice. 352 Wh/mi. Setup a 40A charging solution (added temporary 50A breaker and 14-50R outlet to main panel in garage). Charged for several hours before heading out to Asheville.

Headed out to Asheville with 225 rated miles. Taking it very easy and doing my best hypermiling I arrived at our Asheville destination with 90 rated miles using only 302 Wh/mi.

Not enough charge to make it back to my family, so, called Skyland Automotive, a Mercedes dealership that had an Eaton L2 J1772 charger. Friend picked me up while I left the car there to charge for several hours. (The salesman at the Mercedes dealership was pretty sold on the Model S. I let him drive it to the charger, which was in the back in their service area.)

After doing some things there for a few hours, arrived back at my MS with 155 rated miles. Took it easy back towards my destination. Heading back down the mountain I was able to sustain very high regen for several miles (pegged the energy graph downward). Was far below the rated 300Wh/mi and arrived at the next stop using only 267Wh/mi.

Decided to hit a J1772 charger I had used with my Volt previously on Hwy 64 in Statesville, a chargepoint unit run by Energy United, for a few extra miles. Arrived there with 41 rated miles. There is a grocery store nearby that we got some snacks and such while I let the MS suck up 240V@30A. (Actualy 240V, not 208!)

Left from there with 60 rated miles. After charging at 7kW for a bit. Arrived at my family destination with 31 rated miles.

Charging at 237V@40A now (overnight).

So, overall a successful southbound trip. I feel like the return trip Tuesday will be at least as easy.

Will post pics as soon as I organize them. :)

Working on the return trip. Hanging out at Panera Bread in Glen Allen already.

Weather must have a *major* effect on range.

The southbound trip from Glen Allen to Burlington was around 358 Wh/mi.... the northbound trip for the same portion, including a small detour 50 miles east of Burlington, was only 278 Wh/mi. However, it was about 80F for the northbound trip and 30s for the southbound.

More when I make it back.... might skip DE.

Working on the return trip. Hanging out at Panera Bread in Glen Allen already.

Weather must have a *major* effect on range.

The southbound trip from Glen Allen to Burlington was around 358 Wh/mi.... the northbound trip for the same portion, including a small detour 50 miles east of Burlington, was only 278 Wh/mi. However, it was about 80F for the northbound trip and 30s for the southbound.

More when I make it back.... might skip DE.

Yup, the cold is your "range enemy"...

Alright, let me post some pics and stuff!

About to leave for Deleware!

2014-03-07%2017.27.51-800.jpg

Arrive at Deleware SC

2014-03-07%2018.35.54-800.jpg

2014-03-07%2018.37.40-800.jpg

Topped off in Deleware and heading out...
2014-03-07%2019.19.32-800.jpg

Arrival at Glen Allen (spent the last leg of the trip near 80 MPH)
2014-03-07%2022.32.42-800.jpg

2014-03-07%2022.33.54-2-800.jpg
2014-03-07%2022.35.58-800.jpg

2014-03-07%2023.43.08-800.jpg

2014-03-07%2023.43.32-800.jpg

2014-03-07%2023.43.40-800.jpg

Heading out
2014-03-07%2023.46.19-800.jpg

Arrival at Burlington NC after battles with icy road conditions...
2014-03-08%2002.56.51-800.jpg

2014-03-08%2002.56.56-800.jpg

Super charger is literally iced!
2014-03-08%2002.57.21-800.jpg

2014-03-08%2002.58.36-800.jpg

2014-03-08%2002.58.51-800.jpg

After hunting for a restroom and not finding one, interrupted charge, drove to the nearby Walmart, then came back to complete charge. Then headed out.
2014-03-08%2004.42.55-800.jpg

Arrival at family destination, got a 40A charging setup together.
2014-03-08%2006.53.43-800.jpg

Seem to have lost the pic I took before we left, but, left with 225 miles rated range and set out to Asheville at about 8:30.

Climbing Black Mountain (and down the smaller down slope on the other side).
2014-03-08%2009.59.38-800.jpg

Arrived in Asheville area with only 90 or so rated miles, not enough for a return trip I thought. (Probably could have barely made it...) (Missing pic it seems...)

Charged at car dealership for several hours on an Eaton 30A J1772 charger.
2014-03-08%2013.51.52-800.jpg

Picked up the car later with 155 miles. Woo!
2014-03-08%2013.58.14-800.jpg

Set a course for a Chargepoint station in Statesville, which is on the way back to my family's location, just in case.
Here is heading by down the mountain...

2014-03-08%2014.48.52-800.jpg

Arrival in Statesville. Grabbed some snacks at the Grocery store for a short time.
2014-03-08%2016.12.46-800.jpg

Left there with 60 rated miles, arrived at family with 31 rated miles. :)

I was also using Tesla's streaming API to save this entire trip and all of its data and made some fun graphs!

graphsouth-SOC.jpg

graphsouth-elevation.jpg

(Elevation in Meters)

graphsouth-speed.jpg

(MPH)

graphsouth-power.jpg

(kW)

This is all for the southbound portion, I have more for the northbound, but, out of time to post tonight!

All in all, a great trip :)