Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Southern Ontario change of temperature vs. Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What sort of overnight loss of range are you seeing in your Model 3?
The weather is getting cooler here in Southern Ontario and last night was around the freezing mark.

Noticed that i lost about 18km of range overnight.
Is this in line with what you are seeing with similar temperatures?

What sort of overnight loss of range are you seeing in your Model 3?
The weather is getting cooler here in Southern Ontario and last night was around the freezing mark.
That is more than you should lose overnight, but more details may shed some light:

-do you park outside or in a garage?
-do you have climate controls on?
-do you pre heat before leaving in the morning?
-do you use any apps like teslafi to log the car activity?
-do you regularly check the car status during the evening?

Each of the above things could cause the car to not go to sleep/use excess energy.

I still am surprised the model 3 has such high parasitic loss as my volt and bolt never lose range over multiple days of being parked. But yes, Tesla's do lose range like this.

When in sleep mode I estimated the power draw to be around 70W, so overnight (say 12 hours) you should lose around 0.8 kwh of energy, or around 4-5 km of rated range.

When in standby (before sleep mode), it will draw about 250W, or about 3 kwh of energy, which is close to 20km of range....so sounds like your model 3 isn't going to sleep for some reason, or you have the climate control on all night.

That is more than you should lose overnight, but more details may shed some light:

-do you park outside or in a garage?
-do you have climate controls on?
-do you pre heat before leaving in the morning?
-do you use any apps like teslafi to log the car activity?
-do you regularly check the car status during the evening?

Each of the above things could cause the car to not go to sleep/use excess energy.

I still am surprised the model 3 has such high parasitic loss as my volt and bolt never lose range over multiple days of being parked. But yes, Tesla's do lose range like this.

When in sleep mode I estimated the power draw to be around 70W, so overnight (say 12 hours) you should lose around 0.8 kwh of energy, or around 4-5 km of rated range.

When in standby (before sleep mode), it will draw about 250W, or about 3 kwh of energy, which is close to 20km of range....so sounds like your model 3 isn't going to sleep for some reason, or you have the climate control on all night.

Parking outside, no climate, no pre-heat, no apps, and no checking the status.

I'm charging now - so I'll be interested to see what the range is in the morning because I'll be plugged in overnight and should probably complete charging around 1030pm. Does the car continue to keep the battery warm if plugged in and the charge is completed?

Don’t think so. I’m losing about 30% of the range while driving. I imagine that will go up the colder it gets. I park outside and try to time charging to end when I’m about to leave for the day. Short trips are a killer with reheating every time for sure.

Just got back from vacation. Charged the car Nov 3’rd to 71%. Came home tonight Nov 10’th and the car is at 67%. So it lost 4% over 7 days. In the garage, plugged in (charge limit set to 50% after charging so it never came on when away).
That's about in line with a test I did a week or so ago. I didn't charge for 5 days and there was about 3.75 kwh unaccounted for in battery drain. You lost 3 kwh over 7 days, so within a reasonable matching of error/variability since you were parked and I drove those days.

Either way, losing 25km overnight like the OP certainly seems like something is preventing the car from going to sleep.

Reactions: 03DSG
I haven't seen much range loss according to what the car says.

I park outside and leave the plugged in overnight.

I have the charge set to 90% and the range reads 447kms most days.

How are you measuring range loss in the colder temps?

Vin

I haven't seen much range loss according to what the car says.

I park outside and leave the plugged in overnight.

I have the charge set to 90% and the range reads 447kms most days.

How are you measuring range loss in the colder temps?

Vin
If you keep it plugged in the car will keep topping itself up to maintain the set point you have so you won't notice. But if you leave it unplugged and Check the range (or better, % battery) when you park, then check again in the morning, that's what we are talking about.

When I did the test I referenced above I used about 33 kwh according to the car, but from the % drop I actually lost about 36.5 kwh over the 5 days when I didn't charge. So my net loss or phantom drain was about 3.5 kwh (the numbers might be slightly off ...I may have lost 4.5 kwh and not 3.5....been a couple weeks, but that's the basic principle).

The loss comes from the fact that that car never really fully powers down. At best it goes into a sleep mode consuming around 70W of power. Not much, but it adds up.

It would have been interesting to be in the meetings where they decided not to fully shut the car off (like the Volt and Bolt do) and know the trade-offs.

It would have been interesting to be in the meetings where they decided not to fully shut the car off (like the Volt and Bolt do) and know the trade-offs.

Battery temperature sensors are always on and potentially thermal management has to be at least periodically active. The car has to stay call/connect-able with reasonable response/wake-up times. Radio receivers for FOBs stay on in passive receive. It connects back to the Mothership to send data and check for updates. The Teslas have way more sensors that likely get pinged each time it gets up to do something else like phone home. The 12V system in the Tesla is unusual and more or less constantly babied/nannied by the main battery. And who knows what else.

Reactions: Big Earl
Battery temperature sensors are always on and potentially thermal management has to be at least periodically active. The car has to stay call/connect-able with reasonable response/wake-up times. Radio receivers for FOBs stay on in passive receive. It connects back to the Mothership to send data and check for updates. The Teslas have way more sensors that likely get pinged each time it gets up to do something else like phone home. The 12V system in the Tesla is unusual and more or less constantly babied/nannied by the main battery. And who knows what else.
All those are available on a Volt or Bolt. Admittedly, remote start is more responsive with the model 3 than the Volt, and when in Bluetooth range the bolt connects via keypass and the response is instant.

Maybe they just figured with such a huge battery people would not care much. But coming funny 4+years with a volt and 2 years with a Bolt, I'm still scratching my head as to why they work this way. I'm not expecting it to be 'fixed' any time soon, just going to be something we all have to live with.

I’m losing about 18kms overnight as well (X 75D). I park outside uncovered and it’s been about freezing (0 degrees) overnight, I don’t charge every night. That is going to be maybe 50kms/day lost for nothing which seems pretty high. I understand there will be performance loss in the cold, but I didn’t know about the idol loss when not driving.

I’ve turned on any power saving mode I can think of, and turned off anything power consumption setting I can think of:

Range Mode - ON
Smart Preconditioning - OFF
Energy Savings - ON (Always Connected - OFF)

Am I missing something?

I wonder if maybe I should turn Smart Preconditioning ON? Will it figure out I don’t drive overnight and go into a deeper sleep mode?

Seems silly to do a full “Power off” every night, but maybe that’s what I’ll start doing.

I’m losing about 18kms overnight as well (X 75D). I park outside uncovered and it’s been about freezing (0 degrees) overnight, I don’t charge every night. That is going to be maybe 50kms/day lost for nothing which seems pretty high. I understand there will be performance loss in the cold, but I didn’t know about the idol loss when not driving.

I’ve turned on any power saving mode I can think of, and turned off anything power consumption setting I can think of:

Range Mode - ON
Smart Preconditioning - OFF
Energy Savings - ON (Always Connected - OFF)

Am I missing something?

I wonder if maybe I should turn Smart Preconditioning ON? Will it figure out I don’t drive overnight and go into a deeper sleep mode?

Seems silly to do a full “Power off” every night, but maybe that’s what I’ll start doing.

Be careful leaving range mode on. It disables the battery heater and if it gets too cold, your car won't charge (or will charge slowly on a Supercharger).

I've found range mode is best to turn on only when you're running multiple small errands around town with parking events in between each stop (like during a day of holiday shopping). Heating the battery up and letting it cool down multiple times throughout the day is a waste of energy unless you need the battery to warm up for charging.

I charged last night to 90% (446km). Charging stopped around 245am. At 1145am my model 3 was at 86% (428km).

When looking at the battery charge level.. the other 4% was blue. Idk if that 4% is just a temp loss or what... but.. yea.

Blue represents unavailable energy due to cold temperatures. Once the battery warms up - either from charging, driving or active heating, that blue range will be available.

Snow Flake Icon