Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Southern Ontario license fee should vary based on birth month, no?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been reading posts from those that have taken delivery or got their final balance owning and it seems like Tesla is charging a flat $200. Should it not be based on birth month since in Ontario the plate stickers are valid for 1 year and cost $120?

So, if my birthday is in July and Tesla gives me a license plate with a July 2018 expiry date then it isn't fair compared to someone born in May who gets a May 2019 expiry sticker.

I believe that the MTO pro-rates the sticker fee based on birth month so essentially $10 per month.

Licence plate (new and replacement), with permit: $59
Licence plate sticker (passenger vehicles) Southern Ontario: $120

References:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/register-vehicle-permit-licence-plate-and-sticker

I asked about this. The only answer they gave me was that Green Plates are subject to a $200 fee off the bat for everyone.

Green plates don't cost more according to the MTO:

Get Green Vehicle Licence Plates
You can get Green Vehicle licence plates through the normal vehicle plating process at any ServiceOntario centre.

There are no extra fees, however as with the purchase of any new licence plates, the regular vehicle permit and number plate fee applies.

Reference:
Green licence plates

Green plates don't cost more according to the MTO:

Get Green Vehicle Licence Plates
You can get Green Vehicle licence plates through the normal vehicle plating process at any ServiceOntario centre.

There are no extra fees, however as with the purchase of any new licence plates, the regular vehicle permit and number plate fee applies.

Reference:
Green licence plates
Yeah I didn't buy the answer. They were not prepared to answer that question it seems.

I asked about this. The only answer they gave me was that Green Plates are subject to a $200 fee off the bat for everyone.

Yeah I didn't buy the answer. They were not prepared to answer that question it seems.

Man, I wish Tesla would stop lying to its customers.

When I picked up my X in March, they didn't even say a word about the provincial rebate (I was still eligible based on my purchase date). I asked and they said "the law had changed and they were no longer able to help customers with it and we were on our own". Total BS. The Ontario government even has a documented process for dealers who do not give point of sale rebates to follow.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
They gave me September 2018 sticker. I freaked out. I made a big deal with the guy signing my paper and finally the manager. Long story short I've got one year free service. This is what I told them, spending close to 250 dollars to fly there, I have to drive back 450 km to get home, losing a day of work, getting stressed not knowing what should the amount of down payment to be in bill of sale for bank draft and to finalized the insurance in a very short period of time. not giving me the chance to inspect my car in a timely manner. I making a $75000 deal here and I should not be treated like that. These are a list of thing I've done on my part and you give me 3 month sticker ($30) and vehicle permit and plate ($59) and charge me 200 for it? no way.

They gave me September 2018 sticker. I freaked out. I made a big deal with the guy signing my paper and finally the manager. Long story short I've got one year free service. This is what I told them, spending close to 250 dollars to fly there, I have to drive back 450 km to get home, losing a day of work, getting stressed not knowing what should the amount of down payment to be in bill of sale for bank draft and to finalized the insurance in a very short period of time. not giving me the chance to inspect my car in a timely manner. I making a $75000 deal here and I should not be treated like that. These are a list of thing I've done on my part and you give me 3 month sticker ($30) and vehicle permit and plate ($59) and charge me 200 for it? no way.

Nice work! I also mentioned my opposition to the $200 flat fee during my delivery yesterday and learned that they did it this way because it would have been too complex and time consuming to figure out everyone's unique fee while trying to deliver a huge number of vehicles daily. I explained that it wasn't that complicated because they knew everyone's birth month far in advance. Also, the maximum fee anyone should be paying is $179 for a full year so Tesla profiting from every single person whereas I believe legally this fee should simply be passed on from the MTO via Tesla.

She was very understanding and mentioned that a lot of customers were complaining about this. Unfortunately, she wasn't able to do anything for me but said she would take my suggestion to her colleagues that deal with licensing. I was okay with that and mentioned that I would pursue an adjustment later; I was thinking of contacting OMVIC about it.

Nice work! I also mentioned my opposition to the $200 flat fee during my delivery yesterday and learned that they did it this way because it would have been too complex and time consuming to figure out everyone's unique fee while trying to deliver a huge number of vehicles daily. I explained that it wasn't that complicated because they knew everyone's birth month far in advance. Also, the maximum fee anyone should be paying is $179 for a full year so Tesla profiting from every single person whereas I believe legally this fee should simply be passed on from the MTO via Tesla.

She was very understanding and mentioned that a lot of customers were complaining about this. Unfortunately, she wasn't able to do anything for me but said she would take my suggestion to her colleagues that deal with licensing. I was okay with that and mentioned that I would pursue an adjustment later; I was thinking of contacting OMVIC about it.

Good to know, thanks.

Just about every dealership charges a $100-200 registration fee, I don't see why Tesla would have to be any different. However I doubt the other dealers would give a 3-6mo expiry, most would likely give at least a 1 year expiry, at least my experience with Audi, BMW, Lexus, Dodge, I've never received a less than 6mo expiry (but perhaps I purchased the cars after my birthday so who knows!)