Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Southern Ontario Tesla Owner's Club

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SOTOC Friends

Last year, I had the pleasure of attending the Tesla Road Trip 2015 in Salisbury and Ocean City, MD. This gathering of approximately 80 Tesla Owners and families was organized by the same Tesla supporters who undertook a Road Trip in 2014 from Washington, DC to Greenwich, CT. The purpose of that trip was to refute negative claims about range and charging published in the New York Times. The group that includes participation from owners in the New York, DC and Boston areas, along with areas in between along the Eastern Seaboard, is very welcoming and very committed to a Tesla future. Registration is now open (TeslaRoadTrip.org | Traveling the country in your Tesla Vehicle) for this years event to be held in Williamsburg, Virginia on May 13 through 15th.

With Superchargers now in Buffalo, Syracuse, Binghamton, NY and Tannersville and Allentown, PA, the trip is very doable.

If you have any questions not answered on the site, please let me know.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
At the Model X tour today in Toronto. Took a 10 minute test drive with people from The Huffington Post. 2 Ludicrous runs!
Can't wait for my Sig.

Reactions: ModelX
Jgdixon, what did you think about the test drive?

That also explains the Titanium Model X I saw pulling out of one of the side streets near Lawrence today. It was my first chance to see one on the road and it looked veeeeery nice.
Fantastic, definitely felt bigger but well planted. Great ride and handling. I have driven a Model S for 3 years, it will be an easy transition.

Happy August everyone,
For those of us who were at the first meeting, you will remember that Sam DeAth offered his office in Hamilton by the yacht club for our next meeting. I am proposing Wed. Sept. 11th. I will email everyone whose address I have.
Anyone else please respond and we'll see if we can double the number of attendees this time (10 Model S, 2 Roadsters last time)
thanks
John
I would love to come to your next meeting but got $1000.00 in there to say I'm a Tesla 3 owner. Thanks Mitchekid

Hi there,
My name is Peter and I have a massive favour to ask of any Model X owners out there in the GTA region. My fiance Tasha and I are getting married August 20th in Cambridge and it would mean the world to us to have two Model X's as our "limos" on our special day. Tasha and I are huge Tesla fans that have been talking our friends' ears off about Tesla since the days of the Roadster. It's our dream to have a Model S and an X one day. Trouble is we've just graduated university, and are of course no-where close to being there financially. I've managed to find a couple luxury car rental places that have Model S', but our wedding party has 12 people in it (5 groomsmen+groom, 5 bridesmaids+bride), so we couldn't all fit into 2 Model S'.

It wouldn't be who we are to get a gas guzzling limo for our wedding day, so we're wondering if any of you Model X owners can find it in your heart to lend us your amazing vehicle for our wedding day. We would be so grateful, and forever indebted to you for helping make our wedding day so special.

It isn't much, but if you could lend us your vehicle, we would be happy to lend you our 2009 Toyota Matrix, or I could probably ask my parents for their 2010 Toyota Rav4, or 2006 BMW 330i. If this wouldn't meet your needs, we could try and rent you a vehicle that does.

Tasha doesn't know about this, so it would be a surprise for her. I realize this is a big ask, and unlikely to work out, but if there's any chance of this happening I know I have to try.

Sincerely yours,
Peter
PS If you'd like to talk more about this, please email me at [email protected]

What’s everyone up to this cold winter season ? Any updates on the cold weather and how your tesla’s Have been ? Share some of your experiences please. Thanks.
Disclaimer for anyone about to read this: if I had a home charger, 90% of these gripes would go away. Also, I'm not focusing on the advantages of electric cars as they are well covered here and elsewhere.

I've been living without a home charger/plug and garage since May 2017 (personal circumstances changed - long story), and this is the first winter I've been a somewhat disgruntled Model S owner. I live in downtown Toronto - King & Spadina, and managing to keep a charge in these extended frigid temperatures has been a challenge.

I've been impressed with the car's ability to keep its charge while parked - even while being exposed to the elements (see above - no garage or covered parking spot) - it has been better than I expected, but, as is well documented, when you get moving, especially on short trips, things fall apart quickly. I'd say, conservatively, the car has been about 30-40% less efficient than normal. I've had trips where it's averaged in the low 400 Wh/km range, and consistently, it's in the mid 300's. For context, I'm able to eek out high 100's in the summer. Once things get warmer than around -5 celsius things get better, but still I'm in the mid to high 200's.

For example, I range charged to 99% last night at the Pickering Supercharger, and (thanks to the Raptors game) arrived home 90 minutes later with 75% left (my trip meter showed 16.1 kWh consumed traveling 48.6 km = 331 Wh/km). I got home around 7:30pm, and now (9:00am), the car is at 72%. My personal weather station showed a low of -12.8 celsius last night, and the temperature has remained below -11.8 celsius since I arrived home until now.

The result of this is that I'm hunting around for a charger more often than I would like, and, because the battery is cold soaked all of the time, regenerative braking (which I love) is almost always disabled, and reduced 100% of the time. When I do find a charger, well, again, due to the cold soaking, it doesn't charge as quickly as it could, regardless of SoC. I've practically given up on the Lawrence Supercharger - it's a pain to get to from downtown, and when you get there, you're waiting, or one or two stalls are broken, and when you do plug in, you're sharing power with another. On Friday, I went to Lawrence and stall 3A was cycling between 0 and 25 kW every 2 seconds (I called to report it - apparently the site was scheduled for maintenance that day). Going to Pearson's CHAdeMO chargers has been my go-to, as they're always available, and pretty reliable. The CHAdeMO chargers at IKEA have been handy in a pinch, too. The L2 options downtown are slow, and it's a cold walk home to wait for the charge in the winter.

Long range trips haven't been too fun, either. Again, all of this is well known and documented, but you asked! :)

Boxing Day I left Windsor at around 90%, stopped at the Comber Supercharger for 15 minutes to charge, limped into Woodstock and charged to 90%, made a stop downtown to pick something up, then went to Whitby for a family event with about 20% left. Boxing Day was incredibly cold. -28 to -17 celsius for the trip. Plugged into the GO Station L2 charger there for 6 hours, got up to around 42%, and then made my way back home ending up somewhere around 17%. Then I had to find a charger the next day to bring things back up.

See a pattern? It's a fight.

Then, there are some design choices - I'll call them that - that aren't optimal in freezing weather when the car has been sitting outside. The folding side mirrors like to get stuck, but the most annoying one is opening the doors. Not the handles, those pop open reliably. Opening the doors, because, well, the ice freezes at the brightwork (trim) at the bottom of the windows which prohibits the windows from opening slightly (which is normal routine as you open the door). The result is you end up yanking on the door, but it snaps back closed. I'm being polite, here. The solution? After cursing a bit, I have to bang the bottom of the windows to break the ice off, then I can open the doors. Most of the time. The air suspension errors a bit, saying it needs service. Because the air pressure changes, again, due to the extreme cold, the tire pressure warning system goes off a lot (it typically fixes itself after multiple reset attempts).

Some of the above are Tesla issues, but most are just the realities of living with an electric car in the winter, compounded by my lack of a home charging station or plug. That being said, there are lots of advantages to an electric car in winter, again, well documented, but some of those I can't really take advantage of (like pre-warming the car) because, again, I don't have a plug, and I need all that range to drive somewhere.

I still love my car, but this winter, definitely, there have been moments I wished I had an ICE. o_O

I've been living without a home charger/plug and garage since May 2017 (personal circumstances changed - long story), and this is the first winter I've been a somewhat disgruntled Model S owner. I live in downtown Toronto - King & Spadina, and managing to keep a charge in these extended frigid temperatures has been a challenge.
I'm with you on this one. I work near that area and there is precious little around for charging. Nothing in the east end either.

Unfortunately it seems almost everyone needs a home charger when it's -20ºC. Or at least that there be a 3:1 ratio cars to chargers in residential neighbourhoods. High amperage L2 chargers where possible.

I've been impressed with the car's ability to keep its charge while parked - even while being exposed to the elements ...

I'm probably the exception, and even Tesla cannot figure out why, but my car loses at least 5% SOC per 24 hours even in ideal weather conditions. Much worse in the cold. I've even tried Energy Savings ON, Always Connected OFF etc. but it doesn't help.

Unfortunately it seems almost everyone needs a home charger when it's -20ºC.

Pretty much any time or it's just not really convenient.

Really, you wish you had a home charger...
Hah, yeah... mostly that, but that trip the morning of Boxing Day to Whitby - a home charger wouldn't have made that slog any easier. That day, I did wish I had an ICE. My passenger wasn't impressed with electric propulsion either.

I'm with you on this one. I work near that area and there is precious little around for charging. Nothing in the east end either.
Yep. It's a wasteland. The Liberty Village Supercharger will help, but it's a bit far west.

I'm probably the exception, and even Tesla cannot figure out why, but my car loses at least 5% SOC per 24 hours even in ideal weather conditions. Much worse in the cold. I've even tried Energy Savings ON, Always Connected OFF etc. but it doesn't help.
It's interesting you mention this, because I was in the same boat as you until recently - around the summer, actually. I don't know what changed, but I was doing the same - energy savings ON (still ON) and always connected OFF (it's back ON now) and it was horrible. I still lose SOC but it's not as rapid, and during warmer weather, it's acceptable, I think.

Or maybe I'm just used to it being SO bad for SO long, any improvement is welcome...