Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Southern Ontario Tesla Owner's Club

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just FYI, people don't want to pay a monthly fee for access. They want to pay-per-use. I only use public charging infrastructure when traveling. Normally I just charge overnight in my garage.

I filled out the survey, but I agree with Doug. I do so much of my charging at home that I'd only actually need to charge at public stations so rarely that a subscription would be overkill.

Just joined, filled the survey...

I am new here, just got my Tesla a week ago... but re:

Hi Guys,
For my MBA classes, I had chosen a project on Commercial DC chargers (50kW) and how we can make a viable business model from it. In trying to understand some of the concerns/needs from EV Owners, it would be highly appreciated if you could take the time to fill out a quick survey (link below).

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/L6K7NMK

I filled it, but it takes a simplistic view. I will charge at home. And at work. And I want to charge on the road itself when travelling. Not just in one place.

As for the subscription, it depends where it would be. Point of use would be simpler. But if you install it in my office building garage, I would absolutely pay for the max package. That, however, would be wishful thinking, so it turns out this way:

1. I charge at home.

2. I maintain charge at work, when I am in the office that has L1 charger (another one has none). L1 is almost a joke for a Tesla when driving far (between cities).

3. I would like convenient access to fast chargers comparable to superchargers but these would only be used occasionally, when travelling. No need for it otherwise.

Thanks for the feedback Doug :)

I do agree that charging overnight in home is very convenient for owners indeed.

Regards,
RK

From my point of view you didn't ask the right questions. When asking what service I would pay for the answer was really "none of the above", as none of them meet my needs.

Almost all EV drivers do most of their charging at home. Tesla owners even more so, since for most people their cars have more than enough range for daily use. So I charge at home 99% of the time, and I'm sure that is typical. And I don't need really high power for that. I need 40A delivered (50A circuit).

When I'm doing a road trip, I want the highest power available. I would be willing to pay for that service. For example, at a highway rest stop I'd want to get out of there as soon as possible, so I'd be quite willing to pay for 50 kW. But since I do that only occasionally I don't want to pay a monthly subscription fee.

If I'm staying at a hotel, then I would be okay with less power. Minimum would be 40A (50A circuit - not a 40A circuit that allows only 30A), as that would be enough to charge my car overnight. My main concern is that charging actually be available, so I'm not stranded at the hotel.

I've been doing some work with various levels of municipal and provincial government on EV infrastructure issues, and it seems to me that quite often the wrong questions are being asked. Folks that don't drive EVs, or are new to it, are coming from the old paradigm where you drive to a special place, get fuel, drive around until it's gone, then go back to that special place to re-fuel. In that context, "how far can you go on a charge?" and "how long does it take to charge?" are reasonable questions, but don't really apply to day-to-day EV driving. EV drivers know that you plug in every night and, if you can, wherever you may stop during the day. It is more akin to how you deal with a cell phone than it is to a gasoline car.

One of my biggest beefs is how planners seem to think all "Level 2" chargers are the same. They want to talk about "Level 1", "Level 2" and "DC Quick" as if there are only three types. I am constantly reminding people that "Level 2" chargers can range from 30 amps to 100 amps and that there is a HUGE difference between them. I also try to remind people that although Teslas are currently the only cars that can take advantage of the higher amperage chargers, it is naive to think that other auto makers won't start offering larger batteries and faster on-board chargers in the future. It is very short-sighted to build out a 30 amp Level 2 infrastructure today, and not try to "future-proof".

My rule of thumb is that the charging capacity should be inversely proportional to the expected length of stay. Homes, hotels, commuter lots and workplaces could get by with lower powered EVSE. Shopping malls and restaurants would be better served with high power units, and highway rest stops would be best served with DC Quick chargers/Superchargers.

From my point of view you didn't ask the right questions. When asking what service I would pay for the answer was really "none of the above", as none of them meet my needs.

Almost all EV drivers do most of their charging at home. Tesla owners even more so, since for most people their cars have more than enough range for daily use. So I charge at home 99% of the time, and I'm sure that is typical. And I don't need really high power for that. I need 40A delivered (50A circuit).

When I'm doing a road trip, I want the highest power available. I would be willing to pay for that service. For example, at a highway rest stop I'd want to get out of there as soon as possible, so I'd be quite willing to pay for 50 kW. But since I do that only occasionally I don't want to pay a monthly subscription fee.

If I'm staying at a hotel, then I would be okay with less power. Minimum would be 40A (50A circuit - not a 40A circuit that allows only 30A), as that would be enough to charge my car overnight. My main concern is that charging actually be available, so I'm not stranded at the hotel.
^^^ ditto. I have no need to pay for monthly access. On a road trip I would hope to find piecemeal 100A (80A delivered) chargers so I can get enough range while e.g. eating a leisurely lunch. Staying at a hotel I would expect a competitive hotel to cover the electricity cost generally, or have it be included in their normal parking costs (per above, minimum 40A-60A [32A-48A delivered] would be enough for overnight charging). See Sun Country Highway where charging is delivered as a byproduct of the providers' main business, or the Hawaii startup voltacharging.com for other business models.

Double ditto^^^

I rarely charge outside of home. Sometimes I charge at some of the garages downtown Toronto but that is mainly because they are often awesome parking spots! The actual charge is for fun - not because I need the range. Paying for me is all about trips and for that I would pay for the fastest charge I could get.

I see that most people are against subscription and I was the one closest to it. I don't prefer it either, but I'll explain the will to consider it.

I work in different offices at different times (days). In many cases I am quite happy charging at home. That is the most convenient. However, I also have to go to those offices that are far enough for a round trip to be close to the limit. Still not a problem. But, if there was a company that can help other companies provide charging stations for their employees so that I can, at least, plug my car in to maintain the battery temperature during cold winter months, that would be preferential to not having it at the office parking lot at all. Since I visit these offices regularly, some subscription would make sense to me - in fact, the prices given may be less than I'd have to pay at home so that would be cool, too. Then there is scheduling/reservation and control of those parking spots. My company does not have that system either - we use our own Wiki for that... that works for now but is harder, inconsistent and not entirely guaranteed.

Otherwise, I am in full agreement with everyone else. I will charge at home and will need extra charging only when I am on longer road trips. Subscription does not make sense here as I may be needing it one day then not again for months, maybe years in the same place.

Great feedback from everyone.

To clear a bit more on our approach - it was really to address the travelling needs while giving peace of mind to drivers including reservation system of the chargers. Pay as you go is also considered (although we didn't include that in the questions list). This is only for a school thesis but would like to perhaps be involved in actually getting these online.

Being an EV owner, I dont support the 30A stations going up on 401 corridors as they would be really useless for any travel - what really is needed is either a level 2 100A (Tesla only though) or DC (ChaDeMo etc). DC could be used by other cars on the road now such as Mits and Leaf therefore seemed like a better choice along with higher power. I think more EV cars in the next few years would support DC charging.

Regards,
RK

....But, if there was a company that can help other companies provide charging stations for their employees so that I can, at least, plug my car in to maintain the battery temperature during cold winter months, that would be preferential to not having it at the office parking lot at all. ....

If your place of business is interested in sponsoring a charger, check out Sun Country Highway (Canadas Leader in Electric Vehicle Products | Sun Country Highway). Other charging companies such as Chargepoint or AddENERGIE also offer various levels of sponsorship and/or free or hourly paid charging.

In addition, I have heard (seen, on TMC) people say that during cold weather a 120V/15A plug won't actually have enough to give any recharge kilometres but will sort of maintain the battery heating. I don't know how cold it has to get before the 15A won't even keep the battery warm.

Cabin heat can take up to 6 kW. Pack heater can also operate as high as 6 kW.

A 110V plug can only supply a little over 1 kW.

Therefor if you preheat while plugged into 110V you will consume mostly battery power. You'll consume slightly less, but most of it will come from the pack.

I drove mine for several months before I figured out a good way to attach it without drilling into the nosecone. Fortunately in Ottawa there are lots of Quebec cars so it's not unusual to see cars without front plates. That probably helps.

I just wanted to drop in and say, I'm an official member now!

I got my new Model S today. and haven't stopped smiling.
We got to the Lawrence location at 10am, and my wife got the "tour", while I was examining the car. We didn't leave until 12:30pm.
She took the car and drove to get tinted, while she made me drive the ICE :(

I highly recommend Auto Links:
ADDRESS: 300 Nantucket Blvd, Unit 7,Scarborough ON, M1P 2P4
Phone: 416-751-8883

Spent the rest of the day driving around downtown Toronto. Saw a white Model S heading north on Spadina at around 9pm.

I'm so happy. I've got the Tesla Grin!
On a different note, my wife just told me "thank god we just got the tesla. Gas is going up to $1.399!"