Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Space required to open hatchback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A question - the Model Y just fits in our garage and I mean just but I need a precise measurement of the allowance to open the hatchback.

My estimates put it at 286mm horizontally but it would be great if others could confirm a measurement.

It doesn't seem to be in the specifications?

A question - the Model Y just fits in our garage and I mean just but I need a precise measurement of the allowance to open the hatchback.

My estimates put it at 286mm horizontally but it would be great if others could confirm a measurement.

Im not sure of the default height, but you can adjust it to open lower if this is helpful to you.

Adjusting Liftgate Opening Height​

You can adjust the opening height of the liftgate to make it easier to reach or to avoid low-hanging ceilings or objects (for example, a garage door or light):
  1. Open the trunk, then manually lower or raise the liftgate to the desired opening height.
  2. Press and hold the button on the underside of the liftgate for three seconds until you hear a confirmation chime.

So, is there a precise measurement answering Bron's original question?

I have measured Model 3 maximum required rear allowance at 25 cm ( ~10").

Any original input on Model Y would be much appreciated