Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Space saver spare wheel for S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpg
Wondering if anyone in Aus makes/imports one of those 80km/h-limited spares for the S. Any recommendations/avoids? (just had a puncture, so it's in my thoughts for road trips away from the big smoke)

I know of a few model X drivers with space savers as they appear to fit nicely in the rear, as for the Model S is your car rear drive only? A space saver in the Frunk of a rear drive may make sense but a dual motor S won't fit any tyre. If your car is Dual motor I would highly recommend just sticking with a full size wheel and tyre combo in the boot for long trips as the saving of space is virtually nothing. Two full size spares in the above photo.

Wondering if anyone in Aus makes/imports one of those 80km/h-limited spares for the S. Any recommendations/avoids? (just had a puncture, so it's in my thoughts for road trips away from the big smoke)

Try Modern Spare .... they list spare wheels (I don't know if they're space savers) for the S, X & 3 ... they're a US company so shipping will be a lot.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: wdolson
Yes 90D - would only be carrying it on road trips anyway. I like the modern spares wheel with its bag and all but it will be super pricey.

Agree, $650 for a wheel that may never get used is a touch on the high side, the spare I have is from a different brand of car, $150, as well as wheel stud spacings the rim depth has to be accurate, a tyre cover is essential or you'll end up with black marks on the rest of the luggage.

Care to tell what car the spare is from?

Commodore , BMW wheels may fit as well, get a reliable tyre shop to check the fitment, the wheel doesn't have to look pretty as long as it does the job safely.
The other option is to buy a set of 19s when someone goes for a full set of aftermarket or 21s, then divide them up amongst 3 other owners requiring spares.

Reactions: Tension
View attachment 344880

I know of a few model X drivers with space savers as they appear to fit nicely in the rear, as for the Model S is your car rear drive only? A space saver in the Frunk of a rear drive may make sense but a dual motor S won't fit any tyre. If your car is Dual motor I would highly recommend just sticking with a full size wheel and tyre combo in the boot for long trips as the saving of space is virtually nothing. Two full size spares in the above photo.
G'day, if you don't mind, how many times in your extensive travels have you needed a spare?

G'day, if you don't mind, how many times in your extensive travels have you needed a spare?

In the Tesla on two occasions (over a 140,000km run thats not to bad), in ICE vehicle driving a similar failure rate, again not to bad, unfortunately getting a damaged tyre then requires a new spare at the next town, there is such a wide variety of tyres now that country tyre shops are often unlikely to have something suitable until it's transported in which can take up to 4 days, waiting 4 hours in some places are bad enough let alone 4 days.

• Helpful
Reactions: baillies
@Blue heaven Can I ask, were the times you need a spare because the tyre was too damaged to be repaired? ie. big hole or sidewall torn kind of thing.

I've used a puncture repair kit to get out of trouble on no fewer than 3 occasions (each time had a screw or nail through the tread). Every time was in Sydney, but I've done a quite a few remote road trips in my 80,000km and never thought to carry a spare tyre.

@Blue heaven Can I ask, were the times you need a spare because the tyre was too damaged to be repaired? ie. big hole or sidewall torn kind of thing.

I've used a puncture repair kit to get out of trouble on no fewer than 3 occasions (each time had a screw or nail through the tread). Every time was in Sydney, but I've done a quite a few remote road trips in my 80,000km and never thought to carry a spare tyre.

Both Tesla punctures were tread holes that only needed simple repairs, on previous cars I've had sidewall failure, then I'm driving gently with no spare thinking this is not going to end well, and of course as per usual 1 flat follows another one on the same day, very frustrating on a NW road on a stinking hot day with one car per hour going past.
I'm a big fan of TPMS, a very underrated accessory on modern cars.

Last edited:
I carry a full size Tesla spare wheel 19in in my froot at all times with torque wrench, breaker bar, and all. Never needed it for a puncture (touch wood), but I have used it twice when rotating my own wheels. You do need 5 wheels if you are using a standard jack to do the job (as against a tyre shop lift.)

I carry a full size Tesla spare wheel 19in in my froot at all times with torque wrench, breaker bar, and all. Never needed it for a puncture (touch wood), but I have used it twice when rotating my own wheels. You do need 5 wheels if you are using a standard jack to do the job (as against a tyre shop lift.)
You might want to watch what happens to the froot during one of those full frontal collision tests, and contemplate where the spare wheel stored there will end up.
In any case all new model S are now D cars, and the froot is bordering on useless.

Both Tesla punctures were tread holes that only needed simple repairs, on previous cars I've had sidewall failure, then I'm driving gently with no spare thinking this is not going to end well, and of course as per usual 1 flat follows another one on the same day, very frustrating on a NW road on a stinking hot day with one car per hour going past.
I'm a big fan of TPMS, a very underrated accessory on modern cars.
Yes the TPMS is actually a game-changer. It the past the only way to know you had a puncture was the sound of the dead-flat tyre or weird handling.
I had a puncture the other day, and was alerted when it got to 32psi. I pulled over and pumped up to 40, and as I was limping home could see it going down at 1psi/min. Very comforting to know the status so accurately.
@Dborn I wish they could have kept the big frunk in the D cars. I use my frunk often, even though it's small. Would be very handy to have the original size.

I partially damaged my tyre driving in the QLD outback (but did not realize this) and after about 400km of a slightly wobbly drive which I blamed on other mechnical issues the entire tyre essentially disintegrated about 200km away from the nearest town.

After mounting the full size spare tyre I completed the other 900km of my trip with oily hands and a big grin on my face.

Driving a car without some sort of spare wheel in the middle of nowhere would make me feel very uncomfortable.