TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Space X - Hiring recommendation

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by TNEVol, Jan 22, 2016.

1. TNEVol

TNEVol Member

I observe that there are not a lot of African Americans visible on screen. I am not proposing hiring unqualifed people based on race. However, i wanted to bring a young man to your attention. Joshua Dobbs is by all accounts the exact person you should consider and recruit. I do not know him personally but by reputation he is the epitome of the type individual you need. I understand he has high grades in aerospace engineering while at the same time demonstrating maturity and leadership as the senior quarterback at the Univerisity of Tennessee. I cannot imagine the demands of a difficult major while dealing with the physical and mental demands of an SEC quarterback. I do not know if he would even be interested in Space X but I know of no other way to bring him to your attention than posting here. I am admittedly a fan of Space X, Tesla, Solar City and the University of Tennessee but this appears to be a real opportunity for Space X. If other posters can make suggestions please do so.

2. Objective1

Objective1 Member

More power to him, but this is not a SpaceX hiring forum. This is a private site for Tesla fans and drivers.

3. TNEVol

TNEVol Member

I am a Tesla driver and would welcome another way to bring this to the attention of Space X?

4. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

He should apply to SpaceX for a job and he can include your letter of recommendation with it? I would suggest you leave out the first line and any reference to it. Entirely unnecessary. Company's under Elon Musk don't discriminate; not on age, sex or race.

5. mmccord

mmccord Member

Of course. I mean, even the CEO is African American.

6. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

LOL!

(Oops! I don't think I was suppose to type LOL there. I can no longer remember the rules on that front.)

7. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

The &@/!?

This is the Internet nobody has any idea what any of us look like behind the computer screen.

My picture is a chicken, Krugerrand is an Attack Cat, and there's even one guy named "Woof" who implies that he's a dog.

8. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

LOL! (Again, I might be out of line typing that?!)

Anyway, I believe the OP was referring to the video feed of the last SpaceX webcast event that showed several Tesla employees.

9. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

Oh ok that would make more sense. I read that first line to mean "I don't see many African Americans on my computer screen while reading TMC forum".

In any case, I would advise the recommender to tell the college Senior to apply to SpaceX if he's interested. SpaceX wants people who are devoted to the long-term mission of colonizing Mars. This student may or may not be interested in such work. Aerospace encompasses everything from drones to solar airplanes to fighter jets and rockets, so I wouldn't presume to know what a particular student is interested in based on major alone.

Also, I doubt that SpaceX people actively monitor a Tesla forum.

10. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

#10 mkjayakumar, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    I have a lot of admiration for individuals who excel both in academics and in competitive sports at that high level.

Only very few highly skilled individuals who are also great at time management and setting their priorities right, can do that.

It is that much more difficult to be multi dimensional. Those individuals will scale great heights in whatever field they put their minds in.

11. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Yes, of course that's how you read it. Nothing wrong with a literal interpretation when specifics haven't been given. I was reading between the lines, which in and of itself can sometimes lead to trouble (that may or may not be funny).

However, I would like to comment that avatars often reflect the individual or an interest, characteristic or trait. Therefore based on yours, I feel like assuming you're really into astronomy or are a Star Wars fan, and have a pointy or beaked nose - likely broken a time or two playing some kind of a sport. Am I close?

12. TNEVol

TNEVol Member

Ok: I dont know him from Adam. I do know that tech companies are under scrutiny on the subject of minority hiring. I just think Space X should reach out to him. I think Space X would be appreciative of the heads up.

13. woof

woof Model S #P683 Blue 85 kWh

Implies?

Internet_dog.jpg

14. TNEVol

TNEVol Member

Why is it difficult to believe that someone could think that it would be in Space X's benefit to look at a particular recruit? My post was for the benefit of Space X and I do not know how to raise the possibility otherwise. If you were focused on the success of Space X and felt they should look at a person, how would you let them know? What if Space X could trump the NFL? Who knows?

15. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

I personally find it unfortunate that anyone decides to recommend a person based on race and qualifications, rather than just the latter. In the same way I find it unfortunate anybody would decide to hire just based on the former.

I'd also hesitate to draw conclusions based on appearances (which is rather ironic, given the context).

16. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

My only reservation is you don't know him personally (so can't really recommend him for a position) and you don't know if he has any interest in SpaceX. Usually a recommendation is made when a job candidate asks someone who can speak on their behalf to do so - but sounds like this guy is perfectly capable of deciding what he wants.

Obviously you have only the best intentions, but maybe something better done privately? You could send a letter to SpaceX HR where it's more likely to be read than a Tesla enthusiast forum, independent of Tesla Motors.

17. TNEVol

TNEVol Member

Bonnie perhaps you are right. I just saw a possible big win for Space X. Everyone please ignore this thread (except Space X if you are listening)

18. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Send a letter to HR here:

SPACEX HEADQUARTERS
    Rocket Road
    Hawthorne, California 90250